Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I recently acquired my dad's 1992 300e with 167,000. So far I really like the car. Unfortunately the altenator quit and set me back $256. I have some questions about general upkeep on my new car:

The car uses oil so I put some in every now and then and I check the oil regularly. Not being much of a car guy are there any tips or tricks I should know about? Can you guys recommend anything that I should look at periodically?

The car shifts very rough from first to second when you first start the car for about the first 5 minutes, then the car shifts from first to second as smooth as silk. It is only out of first where I get a rough joly, it sounds like the car can't shift and is whining at a high rpm then "bam" it shifts into second. This only happens for about the first 5 minutes after you start the car cold. Should I be concerned about this?

I am considering taking out the tape deck and getting a CD/mp3 player installed, can you guys recommend any good players or brands?

The paint on the back wheels is starting to wear off. Should I repaint them myself or have them done professionaly?

Thats all the questions I can think of right now. Thanks in advance for any help,
Case

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,730 Posts
CaseMan, you definitely got a great hand-me-down from a great dad! [:D]
Ask your dad when was the last time he changed the transmission oil (ATF.) A simple transmission oil and filter change may cure the problem.
Your car has an M103 engine. If the engine uses too much oil between changes (more than one quart every 1500-2000 miles) then the first thing I'd do is a compression test, and then I'd have my mechanic look at is the valve seals. They are very cheap and take a day's work to replace (if he does't take the engine head off.) Any oil leaks? Wash the car thoroughly and have a look around the engine three days or so later.
I'd leave the wheels for a professional. They won't cost you much, and would look much, much better than they would if you had done them yourself.

Hope this helps,
Shady

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
I agree w/ everything Shady said except for the wheels. Just buy some new ones at $99/each instead of refinishing the old ones. OK, i dont usually disagree much w/ guys that are into camels but Shady knows his stuff! Welcome to the board, BC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips guys. Shady, do you work for Saudi Aramco? My family recently came back to the states from Dhahran. Do you guys know of a good online store to buy NOS wheels for the 300e?
Thanks again,
Case

·
Registered
1994 E320 Sedan
67 Posts
For wheels I can think of two places:

1. www.tirerack.com has an excellent selection -- you configure your car and the site shows you the wheels that fit.

2. ebay -- be careful, though: many of the wheels are Mercedes but due to hardware and offset issues will not fit on your car. The wheel and tire forum on benzworld was very helpful to me.

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,730 Posts
CaseMan - 5/17/2005 7:58 PM

Shady, do you work for Saudi Aramco? My family recently came back to the states from Dhahran.
Case, I'm a reporter with the Saudi Gazette. I'm in hot, humid, sultry Jeddah, a thousand miles from Dhahran [8D]
Here's a picture I took of a a rain storm that hit Jeddah a couple of weeks ago, which turned the city into a virtual disaster area, and appeared on a full page:

Shady

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Good luck with your "new" 300e

CaseMan - 5/16/2005 12:27 AM
The car shifts very rough from first to second when you first start the car for about the first 5 minutes, then the car shifts from first to second as smooth as silk. It is only out of first where I get a rough joly, it sounds like the car can't shift and is whining at a high rpm then "bam" it shifts into second. This only happens for about the first 5 minutes after you start the car cold. Should I be concerned about this?
Case
My 1995 E320 does the same thing, but it is normal. I was told that Mercedes did it to increase the rate at which the exhaust gets hot, so that it would reduce emissions. I don't like it, because I hate the idea of hitting high revs before my car is warmed up. I work around it by driving very slow through neighborhoods, until the first smooth shift, and then it is off to the races.

Show us some pictures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts