Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New to Mercedes

1343 11
I am considering buying a 190E 1.8 in immaculate condition for an incredible price.

In my 'other' life, my interests were restricted to Japanese pocket rockets (Civic,s, Integras, etc.), so I don't really know much about Germans.

Can anyone give me a quick intro on the E190? Engine coding, suspension geometry, modification possibilities. How viable is the engine for future enhancments?

Oh, and by the way, its a slush box. That's the one that bothers me about it. I would have much rather prefered a manual, but at this price, I don't think it can be beat.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,253 Posts
hi,

the 1.8... with auto... don't expect to much for performance. If you want to enha...

hi,

the 1.8... with auto... don't expect to much for performance. If you want to enhance the engine more, you can do airfilter, spark plugs, maybe even a Mosselman turbo system.
But if I were you, I'd look for a 2.0L. more powerfull, more 'souplesse', same mpg, and probably more reliable. Even with the auto box this goes very well.
Don't get me wrong, I like the 1.8, but if you say you come from jap. racy little cars, I'd go for the 2.0.

greetings,

matteus

· Registered
190E 1.8L Auto
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just had to buy it

Ok so I took the plunge and bought the 1.8 190E. The deal was far too lucrative, and I knew the guy selling it (my brother in law). If I hadn't gone for it, I would have probably ended up with a total beater - I only had about 200 quid to spend. I desperately needed a car because my partner is due to give birth anytime now, and we live quite a distance from town.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, here's what I'd like help with:

1. Spark plugs - I know my car desperately needs plugs. I'll be installing them myself, anyone know what the spark gap needs to be? Plus, anything to get in particular besides Bosche?

2. Water pump cost - I also know the water pump is on its way out. I don't want to spend a lot of money on this, so if you know anyone online that sells it cheap, I'd appreciate it if you pointed me to them.

3. Hard starts. The car needs a jolt on the gas pedal to start - especially if it's been parked overnight. I'm thinking this is either the spark plugs, or a weak fuel pump. Any other ideas?

4. Tech. manual. Most of the stuff I want to do to the car will be done by yours truly. Part of it is trying to save on labor costs, and most of it is the fact that I enjoy doing this stuff. Anyone know where I can get a technical manual to refer to?

Any help is much appreciated. Cheers.

· BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,150 Posts
Proud new owner

Hellme

Spark plug gap is 0.8mm.

You've not registered your location so unless your in the UK, I won't be able to help with the water pump issue.

If it's not been serviced for a while, change the all of the filters (especaily the fuel as this quite often gets forgotten) and then see if the sarting problem is still there.

Again, can't help with a tech manual if your not in the UK.

· Registered
190E 1.8L Auto
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, I'm in the UK

Cheers on the spark gap, I'll remember that.

Anything to look for other than Bosche?

I just ordered a copy of the Hayes 190E (1983-93) book. Maybe that will help me orient myself a little.

About the filters, is there a site I can get them online? How much do they usually go for? This may sound like a stupid question, but I honestly don't know and can't be bothered to look at the engine right now, but is the block I have injection or carb? It has exhibited typical carb behavior - sputtering if I drive it cold, that sort of thing. If it is injection, do I need to clean out the injectors?

So what about the manual and the water pump?

· BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,150 Posts
190e 1.8

Bosch are the recomended plugs and I never use any other. You will find other manufacturers such as Champion or NGK do make plugs for your car, but the price won't differ much so why bother?

The cheapest place to get parts for your car(including the water pump) is probably Eurocarparts.co.uk.

With regards to the manual, Haynes is probably the best.

· Registered
350SLC, 500SLC, 300TE, 190E2.3 Sportline
687 Posts
OVP relay & fuse

A quick check would be the fuse on the over-voltage protection relay. The relay is behind the plastic panel behind the battery. If the fuse has failed the car will run with its mechanical fuel injection without the additional controls of the ECU. Symptoms include difficult cold starting, poor cold running and no idle speed control. The relays themselves have also been known to fail.

· Registered
190E 1.8L Auto
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great tip, thanks - will check

I'll check the fuse box tomorrow. I thought the fuse box was on the other side of the engine compartment, on the left side (if you are standing infront of the car), or is that something else?

· Registered
687 Posts
Re: Great tip, thanks - will check

I'll check the fuse box tomorrow. I thought the fuse box was on the other side of the engine compartment, on the left side (if you are standing infront of the car), or is that something else?
Yes, the fuse box is where you state, but it's no good looking there. You need to look on the opposite side of the car, behind the plastic panel, behind the battery. The OVP relay lives there next to the ECU. On top of the OVP relay is a fuse. This is the one you need to check, not those in the main fuse box on the driver's side.

· Registered
687 Posts
Re: Didn't find it

I didn't find anything behind the battery. Am I looking in the wrong place?

BTW, here are a pic of my 190E.
It has to be there. Behind the battery is a large, black plastic panel. The whole thing is removable. With the panel removed (it just clips into place) all the engine electronic modules are visible, including the OVP relay.

· Registered
190E 1.8L Auto
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found the ECU

Ya I got as far as taking out the black molding, and I found the ECU, with two things to the left and right of it. Which one is the OVP? How do I know if there is something wrong with it? How is it possible that the OVP is a relay that has fuses? Shouldn't it either be a fuse or a relay?

Cheers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.