Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought my daughter 1992 300E 4matic to drive to school. It has 107,000 miles and car seems to be in very good shape. When checking fluid levels today noticed oil in coolant overflow tank. Oil covered approximately 1/4 of tank. No moisture or water on dipstick. Is this normal practice to add oil additive to antifreeze for water pump lube or have I purchased a real problem. Thanks Rickjr.

·
Registered
'94 E280 T
587 Posts
It is DEFINATLY not a normal practice.

Try to clean (or simply replace) the expansion tank and let it roll some miles.

Pay attention to it, and try to see if it collects oil again.

·
Registered
1987 E300 W124
85 Posts
i bought the gasket and let me friend do it for like $180 and it still leaks oil from head gasket so i might have to take it to mercedes-Benz to get it fixed right

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rickjr said:
Recently bought my daughter 1992 300E 4matic to drive to school. It has 107,000 miles and car seems to be in very good shape. When checking fluid levels today noticed oil in coolant overflow tank. Oil covered approximately 1/4 of tank. No moisture or water on dipstick. Is this normal practice to add oil additive to antifreeze for water pump lube or have I purchased a real problem. Thanks Rickjr.
thanks guys. I drained radiator and antifreeze was clean. Weirdest thing I have ever seen and I own and have owned 4/5 trucks for my business. The oil was in a layer by itself in the coolant tank not really mixed with coolant. I guess i'll be taking the car into the mercedes shop but their previous inspection said just some minor leak around front seal and rear end that didn't need immediate attention. Learning the hard way. Thanks again. rick

·
Registered
'91 300 2.5
234 Posts
It's not uncommon for these fluids to move in one direction and not the other.
Probably because of cylinder pressure (compression) pushing in a particular direction depending on how the gasket is blown.
And...oil floats on water (a specific gravity issue), so it wouldn't mix with the coolant.
Think salad dressing ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts