Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very new to the MB scene, so please be easy on me.. :)

I am getting a new car soon (just payed off my Volkswagen GTI) and I was goign to get an Subaru Impreza WRX, but the other day I went and took a drive in a 02' C230 Sport Coupe (the hatch back). I was very impressed by teh ride and am considreing getting one, I just have some questions.

1) Whats the difference between the standard C230 and C230 Kompressor? I ask because the dealer I went to Had both versions but the Kompressor was 3,000 more and had less HP (the standard has 192HP versus the Kompressor with 178HP), Smaller engine (the standard had a 2.3L and the Kompressor had a 1.8). I thought the Kompressor was supercharged but both Window Stickers said 4Cy Supercharged.

2) Is the C230 Sport Coupe a good car? I mean will I be disapointed in it? I cant seem to find to much information on the Hatch Back version of the C230..

3) also where would be some good sites to get information on teh C230 Sport Coupe.

Thank you,

Mike

·
Registered
89 300E 4Matic.
140 Posts
Read up on the reliability problems of new Benzes, three of their models, C, M, and A are ranking near 120 ish on the list of cars. I have an 89 300E, faultless 4matic, and I dare not trade up to an electronic Chrsler standard headache. I am considering the Subi Legacy GT for the next machine, or a tune up on the old 300E. . With Benz selling Babies aka A class, the class has gone out of benz.

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
I'm one of the many W126 owners, You'd do good to look for one of those. Or one of the other older models ( pre chrystler ). Hate to say it about MB. But older is for the most part better. 145K on my 1984 280SEL AMG, and tho has a few flaky moments, still goes, and goes, and goes......

As to your Kompressor question, it's a model pacage, somthing like the AMG pacage is to mine. ( at least that's what I think, but prity sure I'm right ).. Yea, best bet. Get an older MB. you'll be much happyer with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Iv heard that a local MB dealer around me has got something like a quarter of all the new cars he sold in 2004 back with people asking for refunds. Too many faults. I know a guy who bought a new C class MB last year and within the year had 12major breakdowns usually to do with the electronics of the car, needless to say hes now with volvo, a new S60 is brilliant value and a great drive. I also agree that the class of MB is starting to go. The A class looks like a suzuki and the new R class looks like a toyota picnic, no class. I drive a 93 190E avantgarde, 120,000k and never any probs. I would also like to know whats the story with the "kompressor". Is it worth losing .5ltr in engine cap.??

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
You can loose leters and gain torque. The Kompressor is a sport package as far as I know. Tho I don't look at the new MB's, only the old.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts