Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a new to me 1984 Mercedes 300DT that is in need of some TLC.

The fuel lines were leaking, supply to prefilter and return lines so I replace those 2 and the filters (both), they were as dirty as they could be... but did not do the ones from the prefilter to the pump and the secondary filter clear line to the injectors.

Can those clear lines be replaced? The line from the prefilter to the pump would not secure on the prefilter well, should it be replaced as well?

I "GUNK"'ed (tm) the engine and rinsed it off, going to wait several days to dry and change oil. (Saw 84 GM engines die that way but the engine compartment was so nasty... any experience?

The blinkers don't work, is it the switch or the blinker circuit. The autoz gave me a round one like on the GMs but the Hayes manual wasn't specific. I saw a part that looked like it had 6 leads in the manual, found same near fusebox under hood, could not read what they were, any suggestions?

The sunroof is broken, I hear a motor turning but nothing happens? Broken cables? How do I get access to look, do I pull the liner down or push it over the back seat. Hayes was not clear on this....

The worst part is the vacuum system. It seems some of the distrubution lines were removed or are missing, schematics in Hayes don't seem to match what I am seeing under the hood.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Only thing I can tell you is that you need a hazzard switch for your blinkers. [:D]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Vac diagrams are easily found on the net. D/L one and good luck. Replace all rubber connections as a matter of course.
Sunroof- pull the right side trunk liner and see that hex bolt up above the Hirschmann antenna? It may be a gray plastic bolt, may not, but its for the sunroof. Get the appropriate socket and crank on that while somebody pushes the button up front. That should get the sunroof retracted. Clean the rails with carb cleaner, and use MB slide rail grease to lube it up with. You can get the grease at the MB dealer. If you don't use the MB grease it will bind again. I can almost guarantee that the roof's just stuck after PO's thinking it was dead and subsequent non-use. If it's truly a mechanical problem Mercedessource sells a repair kit for it.

·
Registered
1983 240D auto..soon to run a generator in the country.1984 300D turbo 4 spd
149 Posts
http://www.peterschmid.com/1984_617.htm
Best vac diagram source I've found.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts