Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1958 MB 220S & 1985 300D
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
W123 with I guess the 617 motor as it looks prretty familiar. What is the transmission designation for this model, 722.?. The vacuum modulator, BLACK?
Great shifts at medium throttle, very hard, harsh in heavy slow traffic, no flare at all. I have some general idea how to troubleshoot but may want to get a modulator anyway due to age and mileage, 176,000.
Also, whare are all the body drain locations? No rust on the car but the inside driver's side carpet is wet after a heavy rain. Window seal looks perfect but I did find a lot of crap near the hood hinges where I think there is a drain.
Radio, how to remove? Antenna, are there power replacements available?
Interior, at the underdash kick panels there are 6 screws, three per side, where can I get the screw covers for these? Part number?

I've owned two of these cars in the past, both were 83's. Happy to be back rattling again :)

·
Registered
1958 MB 220S & 1985 300D
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ID of Car

Air filter is above turbo. I have the original window sticker, it was a Fed version sold originally in PA. Engine looks very much like my 83's but I understand the vacuum set up in the 85's is a lot different. I really want to achieve smoother shifts in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Shifting from 3 to 4 seems to take too long too. Probably the cable but....

·
Registered
'83 300D
638 Posts
There should be two spring clips at the bottom of the radio, you can access them after removing the ashtray. Pulling them both down will allow you to remove the radio.

Replacement power antennas are available, but not as a direct replacement and you'll lose the control through the dash switch.

Look at your vacuum connections to the transmission. My '85 had simillar harsh shifting from 1-2 and 2-3. Problem was the hose connections that looked intact were leaking vacuum. Replacing the hoses fixed the shifting problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts