Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I purchased my first diesel and my first MB, a 1981 240D with 95,260 miles. My mechanic said this was a car he would buy. Seems the only problem was a slightly leaking injection pump.

Going to take it in this week for valve adjustment and replacing the diff mount.

Looking forward to many more miles from this car and hopefully good MPG!

I also have a question, on the highway, around 65 mph I hear a sound that to me sounds like a back fire. It is very random, but I seem to notice it more when the road is level and at a constant speed. I think it is comming from the front passenger side of the car. I spoke to my mechanic and he seemed to think it was not a backfire due to the nature of a diesel engine. Any suggestions as to what it might be, an air vent flap or something?

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,180 Posts
if your changing the diff mount id look at teh flex joints...that seems to be some good pain when they let go -

welcom eto the board!
jake

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Hello and welcome! Nice to have another fellow W123 owner on board [:)]

About the sound, have you checked your exhaust system? That's the only one I could think of that's on the front passenger side (where the exhaust meets the engine). I would check that it's intact and functioning as it should (no holes, rust, etc). Other than that, I can't help you. Maybe you could drive with your mechanic with you and hopefully you will hear it again (without drastic results, of course).

Enjoy!

·
Registered
79 240 D - 82 300 D - 79 300SD - 96 dodge cummins
97 Posts
Well I get about 28-32 mpg. freeway. as for the backfire noise YA GOT ME!!! mine has a noise from the pass side on the freeway but I have narrowed it down to the front fender that is rusted all to hell and its floppin in the breeze HAHAHA LOL. WELCOME ABOARD!!! You will find that MB is more than a car. ITS AN ADDICTION!!!! LOVE THEM

·
Registered
1983 Mercedes 240D, 1998 Audi A4 Quattro
171 Posts
Welcome to the boards. I just picked up my first diesel, a 240D, about a month ago. Awesome cars. Post pics of your car, when you can. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts