Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the cross post, but i posted on the 124 list by accident...<br>
<br>
Anyway, Hi all,<br>
I'm a newbie, so I apologize if this has been gone over before.<br>
<br>
I just got a 1981 300D last night. It's really in good shape, 63K total miles, less than 30K on new (documented) engine. <br>
<br>
Anyway, it seems that after so many years in storage, some of the systems have ceased to function.<br>
<br>
Last night on the trip home, she blew the water pump/alternator belt, and because the dash lights don't work, i didn't notice the temp until she started steaming at a stoplight. I had her towed right away, but I'm wondering if i did any permanent damage. The temp did reach 120, but not the red. it ran and started fine. (i drove it off the tow truck and into my driveway.) I think the water pump may be seized - is this common?<br>
<br>
Secondly, I hear a loud creaking/groaning from beneath the passenger side when i turn corners. As i have never owned a MB before, and it was raining last night, i didn't get a chance to look and see what it may be. Any ideas?<br>
<br>
Thirdly, the power windows don't work. The drivers window does, thank god, but none of the others seem to want to function. Is this a case of dirty contacts? Common occurence?<br>
<br>
Lastly, the transmission seems a bit odd to me. First, it think it's revving too high before it shifts, second, it really jerks from 2nd to 3rd. Is there a fourth?<br>
<br>
I'm sorry to be asking such stupid questions, i was given the car by the executor of an estate who hadn't driven it more than 100 miles in the last 2 years. Before than, it sat in the garage for 3 years, being driven only to church on sunday. (the woman who owned it had alzheimers)<br>
<br>
Really lastly, it seems like there's no power, I mean, I know diesels are slow, but I really hesitated getting up to speed. Oh, speaking of speed, the speedo and dash lights don't work. Any ideas?<br>
<br>
TIA<br>
<br>
Rob Blumel<br>
81 300D<br>
98 Saab 900 SE<br>
82 Land Cruiser FJ60<br>
90 Audi 90 <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The cast iron heads on these engines are near impossible to hurt by overheating. Since it has spent too much time in the stable, just replace all three belts and make sure you spin all the accessories to see that they are free and smooth. If one of the windows work, the problem is probably the switches. They sit on the console and gather dust, bread crumbs, or whatever falls in them. They are easy to take apart, clean and reassemble. Check the power steering fluid, this may be related to the steering noise. Change the oil and filter, preferably while the engine is hot. Also change both fuel filters and the air filter. Also change transmission fluid and filter. After sitting up it needs it badly.<br> <br> Then, drive it and enjoy it. You will get used to the transmission.<br> <br> Good luck,<br> Larry

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: New (to me) 300D Blow Alt/water pump belt on maiden voyage

THansk for the reply. Now that I'm more tfamiliar with the car I can honestly say it is a dream to drive. I had the transmission vacuum thingies, the accelerator bushing, and the fel return lines replaced by the dealer, and be damned if it doesn;t run like a new car. <br> <br> I put a new water pump in ($30 from MB) just to be on the safe side. Took me a half hour. Too easy. Alternator on the other hand is giving me some trouble and I wonder if any of you might have some insight. The one i got from the monkey's at Supertrak doesn't really fit. You can use the fan with it. so it naturally ate another belt and left me on the highway with hot tmeps. I figured out that the fan clutch engages and air coming throught the radiator will actually turn the water pump, so that's good.<br> <br> MB said I need all new steering components: idler arm bushings, tie rods and ends, ball joints, steering stabilzer, etc. $267 for parts, $700 for labor. Think I'll be doing this repair on my own. Any one have any experience with this?<br> <br> <br> TIA<br> Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.