Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is, day two. Gave the thing a good wash, fitted a set of hubcaps in the right colour (anyone need an OrientRot set?)

California-escapee,. no rust, decent blue interior. Dash is beyond salvage, will source a decent black one.

No sunroof, no air - stock radio...190K miles, strong and smooth little 4.

Must fix: dragging driver's side rear wheel (suspect parking brake, although cable is good), fix vac locks to doors, valve inspect and adjust, inspect timing chain, new Delo and Mann filters....most of what I learned on my 300SD seems to apply here.

There's a set of 14" bundt wheels to refinish, the antenna to repair.

Will post the updates as I work through it - I bought this to use as a dd while I go through the 126s this winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
82123?

Whoo Hoo!!

You can update your signature now, right?

Still in 126-land - it's a different country here for sure.

With an extra M116 from a rusty 450SLC, I can't help but wonder if there's a swap that's been done here.

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,059 Posts
Are you sure you want to refinish the bundts? The hubcaps look great and you have the 11 pound aluminum wheels on that car which are actually lighter weight than bundts... (first picture before hubcaps, broken white stripe on wheel....)

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
Here it is, day two. Gave the thing a good wash, fitted a set of hubcaps in the right colour (anyone need an OrientRot set?)

California-escapee,. no rust, decent blue interior. Dash is beyond salvage, will source a decent black one.

No sunroof, no air - stock radio...190K miles, strong and smooth little 4.

Must fix: dragging driver's side rear wheel (suspect parking brake, although cable is good), fix vac locks to doors, valve inspect and adjust, inspect timing chain, new Delo and Mann filters....most of what I learned on my 300SD seems to apply here.

There's a set of 14" bundt wheels to refinish, the antenna to repair.

Will post the updates as I work through it - I bought this to use as a dd while I go through the 126s this winter.

You have a real beauty there! The things you are looking to fix on her are pretty standard. The main thing is the mechanical soundness of the engine. Replacing the dash and renewing the interior is not as hard as it sounds. As far as the rear wheel dragging, I would also suspect the emergency brake. The cable can be fine and it will still drag if it is out of adjustment on that wheel. There is a pad-spreader you can adjust through the rotor, with a screwdriver. Try backing it off half a turn or so. If you have to go more than one full turn and it still drags, I would take your caliper and rotor off to inspect the shoes and retaining springs to make sure they are okay. If the emergency brake is okay, the next logical suspect would be the hub/bearings. That job is a little more in depth, and there are plenty of threads here that will explain that job should you need to go that far. I am pretty sure it's your emergency brake though.

You are right, a lot of things are similar on the 123 chassis compared to the 126 chassis. You can use a lot of the same specialty tools. The 240D is a lot easier to work on than a 300SD though (in my humble opinion). The vacuum, electrical, engine, and drive train are much easier to troubleshoot and repair.

As far as your bundt wheels, I would DEFINITELY keep the wheel covers. The bundt wheels are fine, but they don't look as good as the wheel covers!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the sound advice, will help this weekend while I get things sorted.

The only aluminium wheels I have on the car are the right rear and the spare. Who knew those black ones were beer-can material?

Swapped out the airfilter this morning, no lagoon of black oil in there, which is always a good sign. Unless there's no oil in the sump. When I did a driveway inspection before buying, I popped the filler cap to check for blowby...minimal when cold, less when hot.

So far, so good...now back to the search engine for more how-tos.

Thanks again - Chris.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Thanks for all the sound advice, will help this weekend while I get things sorted.

The only aluminium wheels I have on the car are the right rear and the spare. Who knew those black ones were beer-can material?
An '82 240D should have aluminum disc wheels all around. I'd double check.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
orient rot

I might be interested in the orient red hub caps. Condition of paint? Do they need refinishing? PM with pictures, etc.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Day 3

Rhymes with AMG. Anyone have a spare trunk badge? I tell you, it's nothing but cheap good times with these 123s....

Day 4, hard to say. Easiest way I've found of dealing with the greasy sooty disaster under the hood, is just close the thing.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts