Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Just bought a 2003 CLK 320, cars been amazing so far. Moms got a 2008 ML320 cdi, and decided to buy a benz as well. I have acouple of questions:

1) When leaving work I opened the trunk via the fob and when closing it, it would not shut. It was -2 degrees celcius. The car had been sitting for awhile, and had to tie it shut. When I got home it shut fine.

2) The car was in no accidents, however it was stolen and the whole ignition system needed to be replaced. I only have one key, and was looking to get another from the dealer. Seems easy right, but when I put my key in the trunk today it wouldnt turn. Im wondering if when they fixed it they used an ignition from written off clk, is that possible? If so that would be the biggest bitttttccc to do.

Thanks for the help
Pav

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,833 Posts
My guess is that the original owner lost the hard key blade and thus had no way to attach the fob to a keyring, so he bought a used hard key from another vehicle and snapped it in place. You should be able to go to the dealer and order a replacement blade (or an entire key + blade).

Normally, I'd say just go to the parts counter to order a new key. They just need the VIN plus proof of ownership (keys are delivered pre-programmed and ready to go, the only way they come). The problem is, being a stolen recovery, they might have had to replace the DAS, which means it has a whole new key set. Presumably, this would have been done at the dealership, but it's possible someone took all the electronics (and a key) from a "donor" vehicle to make it work. In that case, I'd talk to the dealership to have them lookup the history to see what was done, and you might also want to go through the service center to key the new key so they can verify the status of all keys and that the correct vehicle serial number is programmed into the electronics. This will be costly - easily over $500, but I suspect you got a good deal on the car in the first place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rudney,

I called the dealership today and the ignition was replaced by mercedes. I took out the metal key on the fob and tried the door and it worked fine so im thinking its a seized lock cylinder in the trunk. i just sprayed lubricating fluid in it to see if it loosens. Off to the Stealership for a new key fob!

Pav

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,833 Posts
Either that, or they had to replace the entire DAS system, which means all new keys and tumblers, and "forgot" the trunk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts