Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E55
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My name is Visal and i just recently picked up a 1989 190e for pretty cheap for my winter driving. I'm already familiar with these cars and the m103 engine /722.X transmission since i have a 89 300CE in the same color scheme. My driveway looks like a Mercedes dealership from 89 :)

Well so far i noticed some problems
*strut mounts squeak and the metal part on the top moves around when the steering is turned. I actually drove the car about 600kms like this ( just picked it up 3 days ago, its a amazing highway car - just eats up the miles. But i wouldn't have driven that far if i have seen them move around! :eek:

1. Can i just tightened the 22mm bolt on the top for now?

Also the tranny feels like its slipping going into JUST 3rd gear. Very weird. It could be a vaccum issue but why isnt it affecting any other gears. I dont really mind it though, its barely noticeable unless you are looking for it. The p.o just changed the tranny fluid with MB 134 fluid.

Typical leaks from the engine - Timing cover, valve cover.

Also it looks like the drain pan is seeping oil too but it could be because the PO has been using royal purple SYNTHETIC fluid. I'm going to switch to Shell rotella 5w-40 on my next fluid change.

Aftermarket tokyo-lights-blue-light-radio.

It was a Montreal car originally and there has been a lots of rust repair done but i'm driving it for the winter anyways so not really a issue for me.

The rear windows wont go down from the switches on the doors and only one goes down with the buttons from the center console. Maybe the child lock is stuck?

The GOOD.

AC has just been serviced and blows ICE cold.
It has a separate ATF cooler.
Only 218,000KMS / 136k Miles
Engine is smooth, plenty of power.
MB tex is in pretty much perfect condition
Orthopedic drivers seat / heated seats
its white/grey!

I'm happy with the purchase and the only thing i'm worrying right now is the strut tower mounts. I got about 3 months till winter to work on it.

What i have done so far - Took out the 80kg subwoofer and amp, Unblacked the tail lights.

Enjoy the pictures and i look forward to meeting people, getting help and helping out on the 190 forum. :)

Thanks.
Visal

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 E55
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More pics!

Some more pictures :)

And the pics of the strut mounts.

Also look how dark the lights were before, Some thinner and elbow grease saved me some money and a trip to the JY.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 E55
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. The huge sub i took out!
2. The back end of the car was actually lower and the front lifted up because of the weight in the trunk
3. At Niagara falls.
4,5 Some pics of my coupe.

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 190E(SOLD 04/14/11) - 1986 190E - 1986 190E 2.3-16
105 Posts
Wow! I really like your driveway!
Congrats on the purchase. :bowdown:

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E55
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great looking car, and a nice looking dealership you have :thumbsup:

I’d replace the strut mounts ASAP.
You don’t want this to happen to you..
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201-190-class/1580929-just-had-one-worst-car-experiences.html

Here is a good thread to diagnose the transmission issue.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201-190-class/1360821-diy-w201-transmission-modulator-removal-replace.html
Thanks for the links, I'm gonna get the strut mounts changed ASAP. I wouldn't have driven so far if i knew they were that bad. And the Tranny....It's just 3rd gear! I think i will just leave it as. Not really bothering me, i'll see if it gets worse or better with a change of ATF.

Thanks for the compliment too :) I'm trying to convince my dad to get a w126 350SD. Guess which color i'm gonna look for :p

·
Registered
95 E300, 91 300TE, 84 190D
782 Posts
Strut mounts- you probably know you can replace them w/o removing the strut or spring. As you push down and hold down the center "rod" of the dtrut, a friend quickly holds the new mount in place as you slowly release the strut.

Also check very soon- ball joints, flex disks, and center support bearing bushing.

For winter DD. put sand bags in the trunk. Do Canadians all use snow tires?

Looks like a fun car:)

·
Registered
2005 E55
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Strut mounts- you probably know you can replace them w/o removing the strut or spring. As you push down and hold down the center "rod" of the dtrut, a friend quickly holds the new mount in place as you slowly release the strut.

Also check very soon- ball joints, flex disks, and center support bearing bushing.

For winter DD. put sand bags in the trunk. Do Canadians all use snow tires?

Looks like a fun car:)
Yeah i'm planning to do it the easy way, hopefully everything goes alright.

I dont generally use snow tires, i just use my common sense and drive carefully and keep my distance. I hate the sound of snow tires on the highway.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 E55
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the 190 always looks real good in white. i wish they had the 16v in white too.
Yeah. i just wish the paint was in the condition of the CE. Well you cant have EVERYTHING.

Btw one more issue with the car is i have to wiggle the key to get it to turn in the tumbler.

I think its time for a new tumbler....is there anyway to bypass the starter safety system? so i can just leave the key in the car.

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.3 Limited #566/700
1,740 Posts
Just saying, that only works if the strut is a bit worn. If you try it with a brand new strut, it is damn near impossible to push it down. And when you do, you are gunna have a sore palm for a few hours haha. Trust me, I learned the hard way.:surrender:

·
Registered
2005 E55
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just saying, that only works if the strut is a bit worn. If you try it with a brand new strut, it is damn near impossible to push it down. And when you do, you are gunna have a sore palm for a few hours haha. Trust me, I learned the hard way.:surrender:
Hahaha theres always a 50% chance of getting hurt when working with suspension components. I'm pretty sure the struts are pretty old on this one, could even be the originals. Thanks for the advice though :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
Btw one more issue with the car is i have to wiggle the key to get it to turn in the tumbler.

I think its time for a new tumbler....is there anyway to bypass the starter safety system? so i can just leave the key in the car.
Before you buy a new tumbler, try getting a new key from the dealer first. If I remember correctly, it's not much more than $25.

The keys generally wear out faster than the tumbler.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts