Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum - finding the array of moodels and classes confusing.
I drive a 2001 Cadi STS and am considering replacing it now with a 2 or 3 year old Mercedes. I'd appreciate ANY comments that you feel may be helpful.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I am new to this forum - finding the array of moodels and classes confusing.
I drive a 2001 Cadi STS and am considering replacing it now with a 2 or 3 year old Mercedes. I'd appreciate ANY comments that you feel may be helpful.
It's really hard to give some comments with minimum info from you. It depends on your budget, preferences, age (are you really old Albert?), etc. maybe provide some more info. Anyway, since you're replacing a Cadi STS and if you want to stay in a sedan, I would say start looking at the E-Class.

·
Premium Member
2002 CLK 430 Convt. '91 420 SEL, '80 240D, '93 190E Sportline, '70 300 SEL 6.3
1,569 Posts
Since your '01 STS is Front Wheel Drive (FWD), add to that you live in snow country, I would be looking for a Mercedes-Benz with the words "4-Matic" after the model designation.

·
Registered
2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
1,335 Posts
Depends the things MY350 mentioned, but money is a big driver when you look at used MRZ. The STS is a mid-sized Cadillac if I remember correctly--the DTS is the big sedan. A two or three year-old E350 will cost north of $30k in most markets depending how it's optioned. An E500 4Matic will go a bunch more. S class sedans are the flagships, but they build out for $80k plus new, and '05/'06 models (the last W220s) will go half that or more. If you're looking to get into one for $20k, you'll have to settle for an older version or move down to a C class which is the same size as a 3 series BMW or a G35/37 Infiniti.
Short way to think of it:

C class--small car. 3 series BMW. Comes in all sorts of flavors, right up to a pavement-ripping AMG-spec version that will suck the paint off most anything on the road.
E class--5 series BMW, GS Lexus, Acura 3.5 TL. Also comes in lots of flavors including all wheel drive (4Matic)
S class--big car. Comes V-8 or V-12. Luxo cruiser with a sporting heart. Goes, stops, turns, and provides world class luxury.
There are a dozen or more coupe and roadster configurations available that have their own model designations.
In general, the numbers after the letter are the displacement of the engine. For example, an E350 is an E-class body with a 3.5 liter six cylinder engine. An S63 AMG is an S-class body with a 6.3 liter engine purpose built by the Mercedes hot-rod division. I hope that helps--but it may make the confusion worse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am thinking $30K or so before taxes. Yes I am old but not staid. I drive conservatively but I love to feel the competence of the car when I need or think I need it. The STS with sports suspension is perfect for me except for GM's built in obsolescence and sloppy construction - front wheel bearings that wear out in 50K miles, water pumps good for almost priecisely 60K miles, weather stripping that falls off the doors etc. I assume that MB's are above all of that.
I want as many luxury goodies as I can afford - HD headlights, backup assist, moon roof, et al, a V8 at least, but damn good road handling is prime.
Another point - I winter in a home in Florida, and once I know what model I want I will consider the pros and cons of buying there and importing it to Ontario. Anyone forsee any problems with that?
Guys thanks for your attention and thoughts.
OA

·
Registered
2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
1,335 Posts
I'm admittedly biased--I drive an '04 S430--but it sounds like an S class is where you want to go. The S comes fully equipped including nav. The 430 is the "base" car. If you move up to the S500, you get 27 more horsepower but you also get another load of standard equipment like headlight washers and park assist that are options on the 430. I'm "mature" myself (59), but the S is a blast. It can be sedate for the country club and it's dead luxurious, but it's also wicked fast for on-ramps, squirting past a line of traffic on the interstate, or getting around a farm truck on a two-lane. The suspension is adjustable (I keep mine a click "stiff") so you can choose carriage trade or sports car. It's a rear-driver as are all MRZ, but it has traction control and stability control so it's passable in the white stuff. A 4Matic will add to the buy-in but will give you snow traction. You might try the W220 (that's the body style) forum at this site and nose around to find out more about the car. General consensus is stay away from '00/'03 W220s as they have some suspension problems that can get expensive (airmatic is an air suspension system). The 7-speed transmission came on in '04 and helped performance and economy (I get 22 mpg in mixed driving on premium fuel). '04 S classes are going for mid to upper $30k up to mid $40k for loaded low-mileage models. Generally people advise staying away from the S600 (V-12) unless you are handy, own a dealership, or have a bucket of money to use for maintenance. Lot to learn.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
I am thinking $30K or so before taxes. Yes I am old but not staid. I drive conservatively but I love to feel the competence of the car when I need or think I need it. The STS with sports suspension is perfect for me except for GM's built in obsolescence and sloppy construction - front wheel bearings that wear out in 50K miles, water pumps good for almost priecisely 60K miles, weather stripping that falls off the doors etc. I assume that MB's are above all of that.

OA
GM quality has improved in cars built in the last 2 or 3 years, same with Mercedes. Don't expect Toyota or Honda-like quality from either.

If you want something mid-sized but still big enough, a CPO (certified pre-ownded with a decent Mercedes warranty) 2006 E-class Mercedes might suit your needs.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
.. I will consider the pros and cons of buying there and importing it to Ontario. Anyone forsee any problems with that?Guys thanks for your attention and thoughts.
OA
Importing a Mercedes Benz into Canada can be slightly more costly and difficult than many other brands of vehicles. Many Mercedes Benz vehicles will require some kind of modification, that in some cases can work out to be quite expensive. :mad:

If you are thinking of importing a Mercedes Benz into Canada from the U.S.A., there are a few things you should be aware of so that you don’t encounter unexpected costs.

Look at this link:

Import Car To Canada! » Importing a Mercedes Benz into Canada

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Admissible and Inadmissible MBz to Canada:

:rolleyes:BTW, here's a list from MBz Canada which models can be imported:

Mercedes-Benz Canada

·
Registered
1991 560 SEL / 1991 300te 4matic / 2000 e320 4matic wagon
363 Posts

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
If you have a home in Fl, you might want to register and insure the car there, I think the less than six month rule applies. I would drive it north with Fl plates, there are many who come down with Canadian plates and spend the summer, why not do the reverse. I dont think you want to mess with DRL and other things.

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
If you have a home in Fl, you might want to register and insure the car there, I think the less than six month rule applies. I would drive it north with Fl plates, there are many who come down with Canadian plates and spend the summer, why not do the reverse. I dont think you want to mess with DRL and other things.
100% agree. If you can, purchase, register and insure the car in FL. That way you can A.) Save massive amounts on registration fees and not have to deal with any type of an inspection B.) Not have to convert the car to meet CAN standards C.) Get a rust-free used car D.) Tint the windows down to a much lower limit then is allowed anywhere in Canada

Just make sure insurance will cover you being in a different county and then you are all set to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts