Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

I just joined this group and I just acquired my first ever MB. It was a total impulse buy but the more I read the more I am learning that I may have gotten lucky with a rare find?

I won an 87 300 TD at an estate auction. Odometer is at 191 k and it appears to still be functioning.

Here is a link to the auction site with pics.

http://easternshoreauctions.hibid.com/lot/52325857/1987-mercedes-300-td-turbo-diesel-station-wagon?cpage=2&ipp=100

I was wondering if the collective had any words of wisdom (or warning!). As well as recommendations on where to get parts, which youtube gurus to follow etc.

I put a new battery and it starts just fine. It runs well too as far as I can tell, the things I've noted are listed below.

Issues noted thus far:
- Trip meter is stuck
- Speedometer dances around at slower speeds but starts to function at about 40mph and increases, although I think the whole thing is reading about 5mph slower than actual speed.
- Very slow to accelerate but once it gets to about 40mph it seems to take off (guessing that is the turbo?)

Little things:
- Front passenger window doesn't work (swapped out the switch but still didn't work)
- Sunroof doesn't work
- One of the rear facing seat hinges seems to be broken so can't really hide it in the floor. (seems like an easy enough fix, just wondering where to find the part)

I'm very eager to learn and am already so excited about what will hopefully be a very long lasting experience with this automobile!

Thanks!!!

DD

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Welcome DD. That's a rare beast you got. It's a one year only 3.0L 6 cylinder turbo. After 1987 the turbo diesel sedan and wagon went away for a few years and when they came back they were 5 cylinder 2.5L versions. The auction writeup is wrong; the car doesn't have leather seats. Very, very few first version (1986-1989) 124s had leather and you can tell by looking at the upholstery pleats. Also, all the other items the auction describes as special features was standard equipment on these cars.

I can't tell from the pics what the color is inside or out. Ivory? White? Smoke silver metalllic? In any event the body looks pretty good for 32 years old. I bought one of my 1988 TEs in Potomac, MD and the state inspection program down there allowed that car to become a real nightmare brakes and steering linkage-wise so I'd have a reputable mechanic check those systems asap so yo know where you're at.

I have 3 1988 parts wagons if you need some bits. Two have the maroon interior and one has the mushroom interior with heated front seats.

Good luck with your new toy!

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. I have the same wagon, except for the colors. I noticed a few things while looking at pics. Previous owner did several modifications to the interior, which IMO really update it. Previous owner replaced the door cards with ones from a 1990-95 wagon that have the wood trim, replaced center shifter panel (no fader switch), ashtray (push open style), and added a passenger side airbag (not available till mid 91 I believe). This tells me that most likely previous owner cared for this car to take the time and effort to do these things. I couldn’t tell, but it almost looks like it has the rear double roller blind. If so, that is another highly desirable mod, the 1987 wagon didn’t have this option, I don’t think. I put one in my wagon and it wasn’t the easiest thing to do. Regardless, looks like you found a nice 87 diesel wagon. Many, many people will be envious. Good luck and this forum will be an invaluable resource. -Scott

·
Registered
140 Posts
Also just noticed that previous owner installed an updated dash with the wood trim. That is a mammoth job. Hopefully he replaced the dash when replacing the AC evaporator. Does your air conditioning work? If it does, you may have got the deal of the century. Like those euro headlights as well. -Scott

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
DD-

Seems as though you are the recepient of a tremendously good buy.

I own the same car in Midnight Blue/Saffron leather. Swapped the entire interior from a ‘94 E320 w 70k mi that had a bent frame.

First order of business: remove any & all aluminum fuses, clean contacts in fuse box with a dremel and install new copper top fuses. Your moonroof & window may spring to life.

Airbag light is probably steering wheel contact rings.

Acceleration could be many things but start with the basics ie replace spin on/in line fuel filters and most importantly the filter located in the bottom of the fuel tank.

Drain & flush cooling system with MB antifreeze or Zerex G-40 (think that’s the new # for correct Zerex coolant). Flush brake fluid if dirty.

Autohausaz and Pelican Parts have good pricing on parts. There are many other sources but that’s who I typically use.

Keep us posted.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. You got a killer deal at $1500. Looks like Light Ivory with gray Tex? The Zerex G-05 is still available and was the original/correct "gold" antifreeze, you don't have to switch to the new blue-color G-48 if you don't want to. (TSB here.)

Some assorted background info on the 1987 300D/300TD is in this text document. I've owned several over the past 20+ years.
http://124performance.com/docs/mb/articles/124.1x3_buying_tips.txt

Slow acceleration is the injection pump, more specifically low fuel delivery off idle, which can generally be fixed by shimming or adjusting the ALDA. When running properly it should shove you back in the seat when you hit the throttle from a dead stop. It may also be carboned up, so an Italian tune-up is recommended (lots of full throttle to redline). Dancing speedo needle is probably the speedo cable (common issue). Sunroof mechanism probably needs to be disassembled, cleaned, and lubricated.

Online factory service manual:
http://w124-zone.com/downloads/MB CD/W124/Main.html

Check out Importec, FCP Euro, and AutohausAZ for aftermarket parts. For dealer/GenuineMB parts try MB Naperville, mboemparts.com, use code 500EPROMO for free shipping.

Beware of cheap/junk part brands, this thread has a good list of what to avoid:
https://www.500eboard.co/forums/index.php?threads/500e-e500-parts-manufacturer-quality-list.1882/

Pelican Parts Diesel Discussion forum has a lot more info / threads on the OM603 turbodiesel, you may want to check that out as well:
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just joined this group and I just acquired my first ever MB. It was a total impulse buy but the more I read the more I am learning that I may have gotten lucky with a rare find?
Welcome and congrats. I think you have excellent impulses. I think you did get lucky with a rare find, especially considering the price. A RWD beige diesel wagon on original wheels with a TURBO badge? It's not brown and it's not a manual but it's very close to what some enthusiasts claim is the ultimate car.

I won an 87 300 TD at an estate auction.
Pour one out for the previous owner? Do you have any documentation or get any oral history on the car?

I was wondering if the collective had any words of wisdom (or warning!)
Find a local independent garage that specializes in older Mercedes and get a full inspection. Have you looked underneath? Rust and neglect are what kills these cars.

If you have no history on the car, then might be a good idea to change all fluids, except for possibly hydraulic fluid which you should probably leave alone if the rear SLS suspension is working fine.

As for YouTube gurus, Uncle Kent over at Mercedes Source comes to mind. Has a YT channel and a legit online store, mostly aimed at the DIYer.

Good luck, will be interesting to see this car's journey.

I wish my car had a TURBO badge. :notworthy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts