Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've been looking at W211 E55's for a while now, and hopefully will be getting one either this year or the next. I've never owned or even driven a merc before..mostly bimmers and one audi. The car i've been really looking for is a mix between lux and performance...I think that I've found it in the E55. I NEED to have a warranty on this car, especially being an AMG, out of pocket expenses would definitely make this a huge money pit. I've been looking at mostly 05-06, to keep it as new as I can, however the factory warranties are all up, so i've been looking towards CPO. Looks like I only get one more year of coverage up to 100k on that, then after its gone. How are the extended warranties with MB? They a total wash or worth it in the long run? Been mostly looking at MBUSA; the financing on CPO is catching my eye a lot more than a private seller. I live up here in Denver, I need the car to have some sort of FI, the alt kills NA cars, which is why I was looking at the 55 vs the 63's. Any thoughts or input I could get from you guys would be awesome, hopefully I'll be a proud owner on this board in the future! :D

·
Registered
'03 Z4, '02 E55, '11 ML350
710 Posts
Broham,

Welcome aboard! You'll want to complete your profile as members in your area may be able to offer better/additional advice.

Regarding the extended warranty, you'll find the subject VERY subjective. You'll want to do a forum search in this and the W210 E55 as this subject has been actively discussed.

Just a few initial points:
1. There are many aftermarket warranty companies, a few good, many questionable. Make sure they are licensed in your state.
2. Make sure they offer a COMPLETE warranty, nose to tail. Many exclude the AMG's.
3. Talk to your dealer or indie service writer. Find out which companies give them the least problems in invoicing for services.
4. The price for many warranties is negotiable.

There's far more to cover. Myself, I bought the warranty. It paid for itself in the first two months. But then again, I used that as leverage in the purchase price.

Good luck and keep us posted.:thumbsup:

Mike K.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I'm more looking at the benefits of a CPO MB..are they a huge benifit vs buying private party...Also, any local folks to CO who can tell me if there is any power/TQ loss on these cars??

·
Registered
2009 E63
557 Posts
I guess I'm more looking at the benefits of a CPO MB..are they a huge benifit vs buying private party...Also, any local folks to CO who can tell me if there is any power/TQ loss on these cars??
A CPO will give you peace of mind and an extended warranty. The cars are not inexpensive to repair. The extra $$ for a dealer CPO'd car could easily pay off.

There are several CO E55 owners on the W211 AMG forums at MBWorld. They'll answer any questions about altitude. But unless you're planning to move to Leadville, I don't think there are issues. I think most of them are also from the mile high city.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So after looking online today I found a E55 at my local stealer, most are super far away. Anyhow, went down and took it for a drive and talked some shop with the salesman. It's an 04 just turned 27k. Options include Paktronic, nav, comfort package. I was a little bummed about the lack of keyless but from what i've read that can be more issues then its worth. This car has just been inspected obviously and cant be CPO because of the year, so no warranty as of yet. They're asking 34K for it, seemed quite high since its not CPO and edmunds says more like 24K and that "clean" almost excellent condition which it is. Checked NADA and KBB they're both around 31K. It drove good, was a lot bigger then I expected..LONG hood. Gas pedal seemed a little hard to push down but also read that all merc's are like that? So it took a little getting used to, barely giving any throttle to locomotive. Power was what I expected, defenately threw me in the seat and broke loose just a tad...wet roads..yay traction control! It was black on black, really looking to get that tectite? metallic. these rare? Checked the carfax on it, all were stealer maintence records, oil changes, rotations, something electrical nothing major. Which leads me to the next bit. Salesman told me he knew the guy who traded it in..he sold it to him previously; older 50s. Kind of guy that barely drives obviously...with that type of low mileage and carfax since nothing has gone wrong thus far, I'm sure it will hit me with almost everything, hoping to get an extended warranty to cover it all. A car like this with that low mileage barely driven should I be concerned with...not being broken in etc?? All these bells and whistles not being used and maybe staying that way??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts