Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,245 Posts
I agree completely with Tusabes.

When the spheres go, the ride is either rock-hard (most common) or super soft, like yours.

I have no idea how your mechanic "tested" your spheres (accumulators), but unless he's a Citroen expert I'm going to guess he's no idea what he's talking about.

Reactions: wooky_chew_bacca

·
Registered
Too many to list
9,405 Posts
The only way to test them is to remove the spheres and stick a blunt object inside to see if the rubber bladder has resistance, or it’s collapsed

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,989 Posts
Heres's a mercedessource video on testing the spheres that is quite informative and illustrates tusabes' point.

M

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
9,060 Posts
The only way to test them is to remove the spheres and stick a blunt object inside to see if the rubber bladder has resistance, or it’s collapsed
Yeah, I mentioned that the other day but for whatever reason he still is concentrating on the struts, if they aren't leaking then that's not the problem

·
Registered
1987 Euro 500SEC & 1988 Euro R107 420SL
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Hello Wooky, Tusabes, Axel and MBL

Yes, I already requested the workshop to do the sphere test, I will update the result once I got the news from the workshop. I really appreciate all the information and help .. Thank you so much

I will get back here soon .. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Red oil is the transmission fluid meaning a leak somewhere on it, the lines up to and back from the bottom of the radiator, or the fittings leaking. Brown is likely an engine leak. The hydro-oil for the SLS should be clear, look at it's tank, some discolor is ok but at the least do a filter and fluid change on it. SLS fluid change is simple, take the return fitting from top of the tank into an empty bottle, I used a clear vinyl hose to reach and not make a mess. Run the engine while watching down in the SLS tank, as it gets near the bottom pour new oil in and keep doing that until what comes out the return line is clear DON'T let the tank run dry or you risk burning the pump up, SLS hydro-oil also lubes the pump. Reconnect the return line

These cars are relatively easy to work on as long as you know how it's put together, if it weren't for these guys here, and now I get the privilege of paying it forward, I would likely have given up on doing anything beyond oil and filter changes but I've been a wrench turner all my life. The pic here is my son's 1954 Cadillac that he is now doing a complete restoration on, I help him when I go down there or over the phone View attachment 2652062
View attachment 2652063
Hi Wooky

That is going to be a big job for you and your son's Cadillac, but can be fun.

I got respond from the workshop today, the gearbox oil leak is from the seal of the gearbox to the engine and the engine oil leak is from the pressure sensor. The workshop will fix it.

·
Registered
9,060 Posts
Well, right now the Caddy is down at his house. He bought this specific house because the prior owners had a motor-coach that they parked / stored in a garage they built onto the house, a perfect shop for whatever he needs to do when he's not Doctoring at the local hospital. He's already contacted a shop to do the metal work, it was recommended by his boss who has a restored 60's Mustang

What was fun was watching him wander around his new car looking for the gas fill 😆 I was tinkering under the hood, told him to check out back, nope, not there he said. Look down the side in the back, nope. Behind the tag, nope. He went nutz when I showed him, under the left taillight that flips up when the reflector is pushed in LOL. We had it running and driveable 2 days after it was brought home, brakes are kinda iffy but he's got that on the bucket list along with an upgrade to power brakes (an option not on this car, DOES have power steering whew)

Reactions: JSSS10

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Hello MBL, Wooky, Tusabes and Axel

This is a little update about the SLS.
My SEC went to another workshop that handle older MB, they checked the SLS system and they said the SLS work normal. This really make me scratch my head. I am ordering Used AMG Suspension (Spring and Strut with AMG part number on it) with AMG Rear strut for SLS from Rusia. Sent the money and hopefully they will ship it soon. From the pic, The suspension still looks good. When its arrive I will ask the workshop to install it and I already ordered (otw) the New Accumulators too. Let see how it goes .. :D

I asked the workshop to check all the suspension related items that need to be fix or replace, they came back with Tie Rod, Long Tie Rod, Balljoint, CV joint (to fix the thump sound when change gear). There are some parts the same with W123 and W124 they told me. I hope they are right

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Well, right now the Caddy is down at his house. He bought this specific house because the prior owners had a motor-coach that they parked / stored in a garage they built onto the house, a perfect shop for whatever he needs to do when he's not Doctoring at the local hospital. He's already contacted a shop to do the metal work, it was recommended by his boss who has a restored 60's Mustang

What was fun was watching him wander around his new car looking for the gas fill 😆 I was tinkering under the hood, told him to check out back, nope, not there he said. Look down the side in the back, nope. Behind the tag, nope. He went nutz when I showed him, under the left taillight that flips up when the reflector is pushed in LOL. We had it running and driveable 2 days after it was brought home, brakes are kinda iffy but he's got that on the bucket list along with an upgrade to power brakes (an option not on this car, DOES have power steering whew)
Wooky

Do I read it correctly, so your son bought the car, aannnd also the house because of that Caddy garage in that house ... Wow that is really something .. :) .. So the previous car owner must be happy to be able to sell the car including the house.

Classic car is unique indeed. When I was young, my cousin shown me a Red Ford Thunderbird 66 or 67. The driver seat be turned 90 degree toward the driver door to make it easy for the driver to go out or in. I was so amaze with that option for the car that old and the car model also look interesting. I hope I remember it correctly that the car was Thunderbird.

Ford Mustang is a big thing in Indonesia recently, especially the Elenoar. I heard there is a dispute about Elenoar name being used by some Car builder in US. Elenoar the original one is expensive in here.

·
Registered
9,060 Posts
Wooky

Do I read it correctly, so your son bought the car, aannnd also the house because of that Caddy garage in that house ... Wow that is really something .. :) .. So the previous car owner must be happy to be able to sell the car including the house.
Oh no, no no, sorry for the mix up, Robert bought the Caddy when he was still in High School, 15 year old, didn't even have his drivers license yet. He went into the US Navy for 10 years and I kept the car for him at my house. Last year he completed Medical School and was able to buy a house where he's doing his Residency. He happened across this house with the extra oversized garage and is using it as his shop. As I said the older couple who sold him the house used to have a motor-coach and they parked it inside out of the weather in this garage, approx 40ft X 20ft.

As it turned out when we bought the car I didn't know at the time but it's owner was one of a set of triplets that I went to school with, he had it out in front of his Uncle's house where I saw it

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Oh no, no no, sorry for the mix up, Robert bought the Caddy when he was still in High School, 15 year old, didn't even have his drivers license yet. He went into the US Navy for 10 years and I kept the car for him at my house. Last year he completed Medical School and was able to buy a house where he's doing his Residency. He happened across this house with the extra oversized garage and is using it as his shop. As I said the older couple who sold him the house used to have a motor-coach and they parked it inside out of the weather in this garage, approx 40ft X 20ft.

As it turned out when we bought the car I didn't know at the time but it's owner was one of a set of triplets that I went to school with, he had it out in front of his Uncle's house where I saw it
Hi Wooky

Sorry that I misunderstood it and respect to your son. When I was 15yo, I could not afford anything. He must love the Caddy so much.

·
Registered
9,060 Posts
No problem on misunderstanding :D it happens. He was able to buy it with HIS money he got from being a passenger in a friends car when someone ran a red light, accident settlement, he didn't get hurt just bumped around a bit. I remember a couple of times when he was in Okinawa in the Navy and I joked with him that I had sold it :sneaky: , He was like :eek::eek::oops: "Dad, you DIDN'T sell my Cadillac" LOL Nope, it still sat in my garage waiting for it's master to return LOL

Robert is one talented individual, not only can he Doctor on you now but he can also build/remodel your house, fix your car, tell you a "salty" joke or two, serenade you with a guitar solo, and because of his size be your body guard, put food on the table whether you prefer fish or venison

·
Registered
9,060 Posts
Graduation Day, May 2019 The day his first name was changed to Doctor
61643839_10161772009420075_1985303874721808384_n.jpg

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
No problem on misunderstanding :D it happens. He was able to buy it with HIS money he got from being a passenger in a friends car when someone ran a red light, accident settlement, he didn't get hurt just bumped around a bit. I remember a couple of times when he was in Okinawa in the Navy and I joked with him that I had sold it :sneaky: , He was like :eek::eek::oops: "Dad, you DIDN'T sell my Cadillac" LOL Nope, it still sat in my garage waiting for it's master to return LOL

Robert is one talented individual, not only can he Doctor on you now but he can also build/remodel your house, fix your car, tell you a "salty" joke or two, serenade you with a guitar solo, and because of his size be your body guard, put food on the table whether you prefer fish or venison
Hi Wooky

Your son is a big fella and you looked happy and proud of your son accomplishment in the pic, and when you mentioned Venison, you reminded me for the juicy tasty Venison steak I had in Orlando. Now you make me feel hungry .. I love US steak .. :)

·
Registered
9,060 Posts
Thanks tusabes and JSS, Yeah, I've been proud of him over the years, I told him that if he set his mind to something and kept his grades up there was nothing he couldn't do, and yeah he's a big boy but you wouldn't want anyone else on your side, he'd do just about anything for anyone (as long as it's legal lol) and would back you up if needed. He's a rabid deer hunter (thanks to his Grandfather, RIP Dad) and loves being in the outdoors hiking, fishing, camping out.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts