Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Euro 500SEC & 1988 Euro R107 420SL
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Lowering the front is ridiculously easy. The back is not bad to do but it does take longer. MB did not intend the rear to be high as I see in the US. But it's all down to personal preference.
Hello Ian

Better to cut the spring or buy a lowering spring? If I drop the front, I prefer the rear stay at current height because it already look quite low. Maybe if I drop the front about 30 to 40mm will be good. What do you think?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,926 Posts
Sounds good to me. I like cutting the springs myself but others don't. It's really easy and quick, but the settling issue means you have to not cut too much. Overnight it will sink further than you thought and too short means finding new springs.

A subtle adjustment might be gained by just changing the rubber pads that the springs sit in. If you look in there with the flashlight, up at the top of the spring you should see the rubber pad protruding slightly. On that rubber pad there are little nubs that identify the thickness. How many nubs can you see? If it's three, you could use one nub pads, it's a pretty easy swap.

Reactions: JSSS10

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sounds good to me. I like cutting the springs myself but others don't. It's really easy and quick, but the settling issue means you have to not cut too much. Overnight it will sink further than you thought and too short means finding new springs.

A subtle adjustment might be gained by just changing the rubber pads that the springs sit in. If you look in there with the flashlight, up at the top of the spring you should see the rubber pad protruding slightly. On that rubber pad there are little nubs that identify the thickness. How many nubs can you see? If it's three, you could use one nub pads, it's a pretty easy swap.
Hello Ian

There are 2 holes in the engine bay located on top of the springs, tomorrow I will try to look for the nub pads from those holes. Btw is that normal for the hole open like that? Let me load the pic of it

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,926 Posts
That hole is normal. But I wasn't clear, the small rubber tabs would be visible from the wheel arch well.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,708 Posts
Hello Ian

There are 2 holes in the engine bay located on top of the springs, tomorrow I will try to look for the nub pads from those holes. Btw is that normal for the hole open like that? Let me load the pic of it

View attachment 2650685
Yes, it's normal for those holes to be open. You reach through those with the spring compressor to remove the springs.

It's easy to see the nubs by just turning the wheel all the way one way and looking in with a bright light. You'll see the nubs along the outer perimeter of the spring pad.

·
Registered
1991 560 SEC, 2005 E500, 1988 300SEL
80 Posts
Hello Ian

Better to cut the spring or buy a lowering spring? If I drop the front, I prefer the rear stay at current height because it already look quite low. Maybe if I drop the front about 30 to 40mm will be good. What do you think?
Let's not put the cart before the horse. My advice is for you to figure out and fix and adjust your rear suspension first. Then you can address the front suspension height as to whether you want the car to sit level, rake to the front or squat in the rear.

Everyone has an opinion regarding cutting or not cutting the springs. I believe in keeping the o.e.m. parts unless they are shot. The H&R are sports springs and have different compression and rebound characteristics from the o.e.m. Together with the Bilstein B8 shocks, I felt a big difference in the handling and steering feel right away: A tighter sensation.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,589 Posts
Lowering the front is ridiculously easy. The back is not bad to do but it does take longer. MB did not intend the rear to be high as I see in the US. But it's all down to personal preference.
i disagree with this...at least with my 500sec.... you guys remember that crazy thread lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yes, it's normal for those holes to be open. You reach through those with the spring compressor to remove the springs.

It's easy to see the nubs by just turning the wheel all the way one way and looking in with a bright light. You'll see the nubs along the outer perimeter of the spring pad.
Hello Mike and Ian

There are 2 nubs on the front spring pads, if I change it to 1 nub pads, I don't think it will drop much.

And the rear also 2 nubs

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Let's not put the cart before the horse. My advice is for you to figure out and fix and adjust your rear suspension first. Then you can address the front suspension height as to whether you want the car to sit level, rake to the front or squat in the rear.

Everyone has an opinion regarding cutting or not cutting the springs. I believe in keeping the o.e.m. parts unless they are shot. The H&R are sports springs and have different compression and rebound characteristics from the o.e.m. Together with the Bilstein B8 shocks, I felt a big difference in the handling and steering feel right away: A tighter sensation.
Hi Fatsal

That for sure, my priority is to check and fix the rear suspension, engine, drive shaft rubber and other worn rubbers and bushings. My shopping part list is getting longer and longer day by day.

Fatsal, about lowering the front, I am still confuse between cutting the stock spring or use a sport suspension kit. Indonesian road is not smooth, far from smooth surface like in the US but maybe a bit similar to Manhattan area but worse. So I prefer something not too hard on the suspension. The problem is, no SEC car in here that I can try to feel the ride difference between the cutting spring and the sport kit suspension. SEC C126 is a rare car in Indonesia. Maybe less than 15 cars in the whole country

MBL had been helping me to get some idea about the ride difference. It helps but I wish I can ride in to feel it myself.

I used to have 300CE long time ago and I changed the suspension with Bilstein sport kit. The ride was decent (as far as I can remember) with 17" wheels.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,926 Posts
Ah two nubs, cool. I need to direct you to the search function for how much it will drop. There is a huge amount on information there for you to look at.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ah two nubs, cool. I need to direct you to the search function for how much it will drop. There is a huge amount on information there for you to look at.
Hello Ian

This is out of the topic questions, I posted in R107 forum that I am looking for Air Condition part complete set used or new and no solid information about it yet. Since you are from UK, do you know anybody sell the R107 AC parts? my R107 420SL 1988 also imported from UK originally. Just in case you have any information about it. I contacted SL Shop UK but they do not have it. I am sorry about this off topic question.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi Fatsal

That for sure, my priority is to check and fix the rear suspension, engine, drive shaft rubber and other worn rubbers and bushings. My shopping part list is getting longer and longer day by day.

Fatsal, about lowering the front, I am still confuse between cutting the stock spring or use a sport suspension kit. Indonesian road is not smooth, far from smooth surface like in the US but maybe a bit similar to Manhattan area but worse. So I prefer something not too hard on the suspension. The problem is, no SEC car in here that I can try to feel the ride difference between the cutting spring and the sport kit suspension. SEC C126 is a rare car in Indonesia. Maybe less than 15 cars in the whole country

MBL had been helping me to get some idea about the ride difference. It helps but I wish I can ride in to feel it myself.

I used to have 300CE long time ago and I changed the suspension with Bilstein sport kit. The ride was decent (as far as I can remember) with 17" wheels.
Your parts list is getting longer and by the time you're done, the total parts and labor costs could exceed the purchase price of the car, but still far less than a new S-class for sure.

On my SEC with H&R in all 4 corners, Bilstein B8 in front and properly working SLS with new bushings in the rear, I still prefer the SEC ride over an E500 riding on airmatic suspension. The SEC's ride is supple and compliant over any road surface whereas the airmatic suspension could be quite harsh at times over speed bumps and potholes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Your parts list is getting longer and by the time you're done, the total parts and labor costs could exceed the purchase price of the car, but still far less than a new S-class for sure.

On my SEC with H&R in all 4 corners, Bilstein B8 in front and properly working SLS with new bushings in the rear, I still prefer the SEC ride over an E500 riding on airmatic suspension. The SEC's ride is supple and compliant over any road surface whereas the airmatic suspension could be quite harsh at times over speed bumps and potholes.
Hello Fatsal

I really hope that the parts and labor cost will not exceed the car price. Because of the rarity of this car here, I had to spent about 120k USD for this car. I wish I live in US or Europe .. :). My estimation maybe another 25 to 35k to spend to make it in pristine condition again. Before I bought this car, somebody offered me a very good 560sec for 236k USD and I ran away from the offered.

For your H&R setup, Do you use your stock rear SLS strut?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,926 Posts
My stock ride height. Obviously it's not like that now, I got the angle grinder out..

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1320969829.415551.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoguide1320969829.415551.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hello Fatsal

I really hope that the parts and labor cost will not exceed the car price. Because of the rarity of this car here, I had to spent about 120k USD for this car. I wish I live in US or Europe .. :). My estimation maybe another 25 to 35k to spend to make it in pristine condition again. Before I bought this car, somebody offered me a very good 560sec for 236k USD and I ran away from the offered.

For your H&R setup, Do you use your stock rear SLS strut?
Nearly fell off my chair when I saw your purchase price. A brand new AMG S63 Coupe costs only a mere $171k here. Import duties are hefty there.

Yes, I have stock SLS struts with an upgraded Hellwig 19mm anti-sway bar.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,926 Posts
Check my recent thread, I put a picture yesterday so you can see that one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Nearly fell off my chair when I saw your purchase price. A brand new AMG S63 Coupe costs only a mere $171k here. Import duties are hefty there.

Yes, I have stock SLS struts with an upgraded Hellwig 19mm anti-sway bar.
Hi Fatsal

Yes, Indonesia car price is not friendly compare to US or Europe but still slightly cheaper than Singapore. Compare to the car price in US, its about 2.5 to 3 times more expensive. Import tax, luxury tax, admin, and road tax are expensive.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts