Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

so I’m a new to the r129 world after tradings a old vw for one. I’ll throw some pictures in here too of the bug I currently drive. Not the one I traded.

I tried running my vin to get all the info I could on it and it can’t be decided which leads me to believe it’s a jdm import. Can anyone help me figure that out?

vin is wbd1290661f005797.

I’m also searching for some parts. Clear signals and better headlights. Is there a one piece that is all them? I don’t like the projectors. I’d like them to be smooth so I can wrap them with a 3m product.

otherwise car runs good. Taillights and signals are kinda on the blink now so just working on that too.

any tips for a first time Benz guy?

excited to drive it this summer!

·
Outstanding Contributor
2003 SL500, 2003 SL55, and four R129s
4,316 Posts
You might consider getting a 12-volt LED or test lamp so you can read diagnostic codes.

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,978 Posts
Damn nice tattoo's... er.. Bug I mean.. I tried to run your vin as well and got the same error message.

By the looks of the format of your Vin, I think you may be right about being a Japan build.

Two years ago I imported a Japan market 92 500E, it's Vin has the same format as yours.

Also, look on your door jam labels, (where ever they are located), you may find some Japanese words as well, mine does.

Look for your data plate, I included a picture of my 500E data plate which shows build code 498, Japan Market

The Vin format is an oddball to the Insurance Companies format, and too the State Inspection computers. It has to be explained every time it creates a code error, that it is a Japan import, and they manually over-ride the vin entry, a pain in the ass.

Your paint looks to be either Blue Black or maybe Anthracite, hard to tell in that light. Nice wheels, they look good on all these old 90's cars.

I just noticed your front fender in the picture, you also have that extra blinker behind the wheel well, another indication it is a Japan Build. North America, and Euro cars did not had this extra blinker. A picture of my Bornite 500E included as well, see the fender blinker?

The Wheels would look much better with Tattoos showing them of... 😁

Attachments

·
Registered
300 CE 24V Sportline
917 Posts
Hi there

so I’m a new to the r129 world after tradings a old vw for one. I’ll throw some pictures in here too of the bug I currently drive. Not the one I traded.

View attachment 2625892
I tried running my vin to get all the info I could on it and it can’t be decided which leads me to believe it’s a jdm import. Can anyone help me figure that out?

vin is wbd1290661f005797.

I’m also searching for some parts. Clear signals and better headlights. Is there a one piece that is all them? I don’t like the projectors. I’d like them to be smooth so I can wrap them with a 3m product.

otherwise car runs good. Taillights and signals are kinda on the blink now so just working on that too.

any tips for a first time Benz guy? View attachment 2625893

excited to drive it this summer!
My advice is to get the girl in the picture to help.

R

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,978 Posts
One more thing I forgot to mention, (assuming it's a Japan Market Car), Japan is LHT, Left Hand Traffic. Even if they don't offer with steering on the right, they do have headlight lens that direct the beams the wrong way.

If your changing the entire headlight unit, then problem solved anyway. Beside standard SL light being crap, having the beams focused the wrong direction must really suck...

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 SL500 (5.5 AMG)
260 Posts
One more thing I forgot to mention, (assuming it's a Japan Market Car), Japan is LHT, Left Hand Traffic. Even if they don't offer with steering on the right, they do have headlight lens that direct the beams the wrong way.

If your changing the entire headlight unit, then problem solved anyway. Beside standard SL light being crap, having the beams focused the wrong direction must really suck...
Good advice.
I made this mistake by purchasing OEM Xenon headlights from a Japanese imported car which was LHD. However, the headlights were RHD. There is nothing I can do about that unfortunately. Xenons on R129 are not adjustable.

·
Outstanding Contributor
R129 500 SL 1991
1,038 Posts
Just a minor clarification, UK cars do have the extra blinker behind front wheels. Not sure about Euro.

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,978 Posts
Just a minor clarification, UK cars do have the extra blinker behind front wheels. Not sure about Euro.
Thanks, didn't know that about UK cars, Euro no blinker.

We need Beaker to get more pictures with Tattoos showing off the SL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts