Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2014 C350 coupe (RWD), miles: 1k & 2014 Infiniti Q50 AWD, (lease), miles: 10k & 2000 Ford Crown Vic
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have MY 2006 E350 and I need new tires, I have the optional 17 inch stock rims. Can someone recommend great 4 season tires?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
06 E350 4Matic
7 Posts
I actually switched to Michelin Pilot a couple years ago. I didn't care for the Conti Sports that were mounted when we purchased. I like the ride a lot better.

Based on other posts, it seems that most owners lean towards Michelin or ContiSports.

·
Registered
'05 E320 CDI Black/Black
623 Posts
These are the tires I will be buying soon, if I don't get cheap of course!

Michelin*Pilot Sport A/S Plus
Compare Surveys for both , my understanding area you live in does get some wintery conditions(sudden snow falls) tire you're aiming at has aggressive looking tread pattern, but according to Tire Rack surveys slightly inferior to this one & cost more...but then again it's all boils down to Buyer's choice.))
Cheers.
Michelin*Pilot Exalto A/S

·
Registered
'07 E-550 4-Matic
69 Posts
I like the Continental DWS

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2007 E350 4Matic, "Flintgrau Metallic", Sport, P2, Leather; '78 911SC, 1.8TBeetle . . .
107 Posts
DWS - But Can Get Noisy!

The DWS have been great on our 2007 4matic, excellent grip and pretty good handling capabilities. BUT - as many others have noted, these tires tend to get noisy later in life. In our case, tire noise seemed to come on at about 18,000 miles pretty suddenly. One day I get in and go for a drive, and - whoa! There it is.

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
Is there a high performance tire out there that doesn't get noisier as it wears?
The DWS's on my car are at 45K and they're far quieter than the conti contacts that came with the car. I suppose if you put a minivan tire on the benz it will be very quiet.
The point is are the Michelins that much quieter at the end of their life? Is there anyone out there that has used Michelins and DWS's and can give us an objective opinion?

·
Registered
2007 E350 Sport, 2007 SL550
378 Posts
2007 E350 Sport ... asymmetrical tires. I've had sets of both Continental Extreme Contact DWS and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires. My experience: the Contis are inferior to the Michelins. The Contis were noisier ... much noisier ... than the Michelins. However, as the Michelins approach the ends of their treadlife, they begin making a lotta noise, too ... particularly from the rear. I got about 35,000 miles out of the Contis ... close to 50,000 out of the Michelins. In June I replaced the Michelins with a new set of the same tires: Pilot Sport A/S Plus. I don't expect I'll ever buy anything other than Michelins again, and I hope to keep the car for a long, long time ... more than 200,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,145 Posts
Up in the snow belt the Pilot A/S is a decent tire, but the Nokian WR G2 is the best all season
performance tire made. It will rip through deep heavy snow like it is not even there.

·
Registered
2014 C350 coupe (RWD), miles: 1k & 2014 Infiniti Q50 AWD, (lease), miles: 10k & 2000 Ford Crown Vic
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2007 E350 Sport ... asymmetrical tires. I've had sets of both Continental Extreme Contact DWS and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires. My experience: the Contis are inferior to the Michelins. The Contis were noisier ... much noisier ... than the Michelins. However, as the Michelins approach the ends of their treadlife, they begin making a lotta noise, too ... particularly from the rear. I got about 35,000 miles out of the Contis ... close to 50,000 out of the Michelins. In June I replaced the Michelins with a new set of the same tires: Pilot Sport A/S Plus. I don't expect I'll ever buy anything other than Michelins again, and I hope to keep the car for a long, long time ... more than 200,000 miles.
Thanks for the advice on this. I have a set of Michelin’s on my 12 year old Crown Vic and I love the tires so I think I’m going to go with Michelin.

Crown Vic tires: Michelin HydroEdge with Green X

Thanks.

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
Around 20,000 miles annually.
Are you sure you had DWS's? These tires were introduced in late 2009, they were not available in N.A until then, they are only aftermarket tires. I suspect you had Conti Pro/Touring/Extreme Contact or a variation of that, which is a real lousy tire, I had 2 sets and they pretty much match your description. The DWS's are a different animal.

·
Registered
2007 E350 Sport, 2007 SL550
378 Posts
Conti Pro Extreme Contacts ... you're exactly right. I have not had a set of DWS Contis. I apologize for getting my facts wrong.

·
Registered
2005 E500S4
349 Posts
I have Conti DWS on my "05" E500 and I am really happy with them. Have not had Michelins on this car but have on others and you cannot go wrong with Michelin. Never had a bad experience with any Michelin tire I have ever owned. The Conti's are really good as well and are less expensive.

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
Conti Pro Extreme Contacts ... you're exactly right. I have not had a set of DWS Contis. I apologize for getting my facts wrong.
No Problem Heatwave, Conti's choice for tire names are very confusing, I have made this same mistake myself on more than one occasion.

·
Registered
553 Posts
There are no great 4 season tires. Especially if you have drastic difference in winter/summer temperature. Trust me...they gonna suck either in summer or winter..or are going to wear off extremely fast.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts