Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320 Wagon
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendation for all-year tires? I am currently using Yokohama YK520 however they are quite worn down and with the winter coming soon I want to make sure I am ready for it ;). How about tires for winter only? Thanks!

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,720 Posts
There are no "winter tires"
You can get snow & ice tires, but they wear extremely fast on dry pavement and have limited use.
We do have about million topics about tires, so you can read for a month. I just bought Michelins as they are the best average for my weather in CA. For lot of snow I did like Firehawks I am just replacing.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
continental contitract DWS. look them up on tirerack. folks love them.

·
Registered
1999 E320 Wagon
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Continentals look great but how hard are they? Would they work well on a wagon? I would prefer something that doesnt change my CDs for me ;) I am currently using tires that seem to be much thicker. Roughness on bad roads is definitely something I would rather avoid since here in Michigan the roads are extremely bad... I have a hard decision to make now (the reviews are great as you mentioned!)

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
If I lived where you live, I would buy some "winter" / snow tires. While it is true that A/S tires are better than they've ever been, the freezing/frozen crap you get will leave you stuck or sliding into things, neither of which is a good result. The compounds used in the tread and carcass of cold-weather tires are different, so they stay more pliable at colder temps, that's also why they don't last long on hot summer days cruising down the interstate. ;)

Check the ratings at TR -- even if you don't buy there, it's a terrific research tool -- then buy the ones you want. Check Costco near you, they can order some tires as well. (For example, you can buy Contis for $488 and they include a road hazard warranty.)

Then along about January or so, start looking for a nice set of wheels for your wagon, and if you don't get tires with them, buy a decent set of A/S tires. Heck, you could even go to 17s and be styling 7-8 months a year. If you buy a used set, you might find some with a year or two of tread left, which will offset the expense a good bit.

If you must stay with a single set of tires, then again using TR, read the reviews and ratings and find the best A/S tire you can that has the highest ratings for wet traction. Noise is not your concern: wet traction is.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
The Continentals look great but how hard are they? Would they work well on a wagon? I would prefer something that doesnt change my CDs for me ;) I am currently using tires that seem to be much thicker. Roughness on bad roads is definitely something I would rather avoid since here in Michigan the roads are extremely bad... I have a hard decision to make now (the reviews are great as you mentioned!)
I haven't used them. I have a dedicated set of wheels/snows as i live at 6000 feet in snow country. my summer tires are michelin pilot exalto A/S and my winter tires are blizzaks. I was on the phone with tirerack complaining about my yokohama avids which have worn way too soon and Ben suggested the contis. Call Ben or Luke and chat with them. T/R is great.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
I have tried it all! 4 seasons, snow tires, studded tires on MB on both w124 and w210. Upstate NY where I live, we have very bad winters (similar to great lakes area) and mostly ice. The final solution for me was to get studded tires for winters. No more spinning wheels and get stuck 5 times a day all over the place. By the way, MB recommends studded tires for weather similar to north east of the U.S. even on 4matic. I also recommend studded tires since I had so much troubles even with snow tires and car was not stable. It worth the investment.

Putting up with the noise, is another story that could be resolved with higher radio volume :D exchange of safety.

If you decide to go with studded tires, check the legality of it in your state. In NY state is legal during winter period.

·
Registered
1998 E320 (W210) Silver 3.2 L V6
76 Posts
If the Contis are too rich for your blood, go with Bridgestone RE960s or 970s depending on your wheel diameter.

I have the 960s fitted to my 1998 W210 and they run like a dream at any speed, and are great in the rain. We're getting the effects of Tropical Storm (possibly Hurricane by Monday) Isaac here in Miami and it's pretty nasty outside.

Prior to that I had Kumho Ecstas. I had a blowout and decided to replace all 4 of them for consistency. The Kumhos wore down fast.

I would have gotten Contis but I couldn't afford, timewise, to get them fitted as the ones I wanted weren't readily available locally. Next cycle I'm going Contis for for sure.

·
Registered
1999 E320 Wagon
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decided to go with the Continentals Extremecontact DWS. They dont look as nice as the Yokohamas YK520 but are a little softer so I can live with that. Tires are also a little bit quieter than the YK520. I havent driven in the rain yet so I cant tell if the handling is any better in wet conditions, however cornering is not as tight as it was with the Yokohamas... Overall I am happy with the Continentals (waiting for the dreaded winter now), hope they do as well as promised :)

·
Registered
2002 E430 4-Matic
1,334 Posts
You will love the ContiExtreems. The only thing I found negative is that they do have weaker sidewalls than most. They are fantastic in the snow, wet, and yes they can handle some ice. They are not dedicated winter tires, but they are the next best thing and up to anything you will get in Detroit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts