Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 GL450; 2012 E350 Wagon; 1995 E32000 SL500 sold sad!); 1999 CL500 sold sad;
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There have been other threads on best tires for an R Class. I looked at several R-classes and noted the tires that they were running. I had Coopers, very noisy from the second I began moving and on the highway. So much so, I thought this was an R-class issue. Then I drove a 2008 320CDI with Yokohama's and they were silent by comparison. I also saw an R with Continental Cross Trak's (?).

Well, I finally had to get new tires. I decided on the Michelin Latitude Touring HP, 255/R55-18, sub-code 105h, and 60k mile warranty; the sub-code is important. This tire in this size comes in 3 sub-codes: 104 (S rated for say the Acura), 105h (rated for a heavier vehicle and H speed rated for R klasse), and 109 (V rated for the Porsche Cayenne). Discount Tire, my vendor, said this tire is now OEM std., on R350's I assume, at least. I can see why.

In short, I could not be happier. Very smooth, no noise of any kind at any speed, and handles well. I ran it at all speeds 20's, 50's, and 80's, after installed. My R350 has been transformed and it is now very quiet on the freeway and smoother running. This acts as my wife's car and she also likes the results.

I will next have the dealer do an all-wheel alignment, which I always do when purchasing a full set of tires. Cheap insurance against abnormal wear of brand new tires! I did consider the dealer as a source for the tires, but they were not very responsive (not their core business), and Discount Tire, at least the one in my area, has provided good service.

So there is my report on a set of tires for an R-Klasses (R350 with 70k miles) and it is a positive one.
=================
Update after alignment.

Alignment took three (3) hours, but these techs seem to sense that I prefer precision and thoroughness; no complaint if done right! Replaced a couple bolts in rear for alighnment and reset all settings: caster, camber and toe.

Car used to act like had a shock going and had a slight cork-screw over bigger bumps. Symptoms now gone. Bump response is now very normal, reacts to bumps normally with no abnormal sensation. Since been out on freeway run for a few hours and very satisfying.

·
Registered
06 R360, 06 F350 6.0, 04 CayenneS, 96 911TT 500HP, 86 928S, 74 911S, 73 914-4, 70 914-6, 02 Durrango
301 Posts
There have been other threads on best tires for an R Class. I looked at several R-classes and noted the tires that they were running. I had Coopers, very noisy from the second I began moving and on the highway. good to know, thanks! So much so, I thought this was an R-class issue. Then I drove a 2008 320CDI with Yokohama's and they were silent by comparison. I also saw an R with Continental Cross Trak's (?).

Well, I finally had to get new tires. I decided on the Michelin Latitude Touring HP, 255/R55-18, sub-code 105h, and 60k mile warranty; the sub-code is important. This tire in this size comes in 3 sub-codes: 104 (S rated for say the Acura), 105h (rated for a heavier vehicle and H speed rated for R klasse), and 109 (V rated for the Porsche Cayenne). Discount Tire, my vendor, said this tire is now OEM std., on R350's I assume, at least. I can see why.

So there is my report on a set of tires for an R-Klasses (R350 with 70k miles) and it is a positive one.
I got my tires(in my signiture) from Americas tire. I really like them compared to stock it was not a major difference in sound. Not sure on traction, but I do know that the stock tires were more slick on snow than I wanted. And the tires I have now look like they have better traction by looking at the tread.

I am happy with mine:)

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,110 Posts
I decided on the Michelin Latitude Touring HP, 255/R55-18, sub-code 105h, and 60k mile warranty; the sub-code is important. This tire in this size comes in 3 sub-codes: 104 (S rated for say the Acura), 105h (rated for a heavier vehicle and H speed rated for R klasse), and 109 (V rated for the Porsche Cayenne).
If you look closely on the sidewalls, you'll see "MO" which means Mercedes original equipment.

105 is the load rating and H is the speed rating

·
Registered
2007 GL450; 2012 E350 Wagon; 1995 E32000 SL500 sold sad!); 1999 CL500 sold sad;
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you look closely on the sidewalls, you'll see "MO" which means Mercedes original equipment.

105 is the load rating and H is the speed rating
Thanks for that note on the sub-code meaning, as detailed, but important, information is often hard to come by. I encountered some confusion from the tire dealers on the correct tire, until I did some research, plus visited competing tire dealers. I'll look for the MO.

Let's say the results were worth the research effort.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,110 Posts
The MO molding is really subtle on these tires, just next to the Latitude Touring HP molding and only about a 1/4 in high. On some other Michelins I have and on my GL's original Continentals it's closer to an inch high molding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts