Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
S320W
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
iam thinking of buying new amg wheels and new set of tires for my S320. This is what iam thinking of doing:

Will be putting 18.8.5 Aero II with 235/50YR18 yokohamas in the front

and

19.8.5 Aero II with 255/40YR19 yokohamas in the rear.

Has anyone ever done such configuration? was there a problem in doing so?

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
It will make tha car drive extremely bad ... and change the overall dynamics and handling ...

It will make tha car drive extremely bad ... and change the overall dynamics and handling characteristics

·
Registered
S320W
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for ure reply Luke. I recently found out about these problems associated with such ...

Thanks for ure reply Luke. I recently found out about these problems associated with such configuration.

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
expand on the answer please

luke, could you explain why it would be "extremely bad".

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
235/50-18 = 27.3" diameter
255/40-19 = 27.0" diameter

the front tire side wall height ...

235/50-18 = 27.3" diameter
255/40-19 = 27.0" diameter

the front tire side wall height would be 4.65"
the rear tire side wall would be 4.00"

so as you can see the rear tire has a shorter shorter sidewall this will have alot less deflection and thus induce a tremdous amount of underteer ...

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
I guess the NSX was (like a lot of mid-engine cars who tend to be oversteered) has a chass...

I guess the NSX was (like a lot of mid-engine cars who tend to over-steer) has a chassi that from the begining designed for this kind of tire set-up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Luke could it work with a bit of suspension and chasi work to the car? Or if you had ti...

Luke could it work with a bit of suspension and chasi work to the car? Or if you had tires that had the same aspect ratio? So if the front wheel tire combo is smaller than the rear wheel tire combo could it work? I know people have done this type of stuff to muscle cars for ages.

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Re: Luke could it work with a bit of suspension and chasi work to the car? Or if you had ti

I know people have done this type of stuff to muscle cars for ages.
And if you try it on a Benz it might handle like one... [;)]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts