Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1995 C220
2,780 Posts
The only thing I will say about the rotations, is that I can usually tell when a car comes in that hasn't been rotating their tires, because the front tires will be rounded over on the edges, and the rears will be pretty flat, this is because with the fronts being the ones that steer, the camber is constantly changing on them so they work the edges much harder than they do on the rear. For the the first half of the life of the tire, this is not a big deal, but becomes greater as the tire wears overall, because you will see the edges of the tires start to cord prematurely on the front. In other words, it will cost you more money in the long run by not rotating them. This is one of but not the only reason why cars with staggered fitment wear at twice the rate as ones without, because you cannot rotate the tires. This can also create a potential issue on an AWD car, if you replace one end but not the other, now you have a tire that is a different diameter on one end vs the other which I've been told can cause an issue with either the wheel speed sensors or perhaps the differentials. I've never experienced this being an issue my self, but per the manufacturers, I have heard it is always best to keep the tires as equal in size as possible. Take it for what it is worth and make your own decision, because everyones driving habits are different.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sounds like your old Dodge truck would be the perfect solution for an emergency situation if you ever needed to drive when the roads were salted so it might be worthwhile to fix it up enough and encapsulate the rust so it doesn't get any worse so it would be reliable in just such an emergency. A 190 in such good condition with such low miles as yours is pretty rare. Unfortunately oil on the undercarriage won't protect it from rust. Keeping it off salted roads will be key to preventing rust. Also going forward, you don't typically need an alignment when you get new tires. You only need to make sure the tires are balanced properly. You only need an alignment if there are symptoms such as improper tire wear, pulling to the left or right, improper tow when you center the steering while and stand in front of the car and observe the tires not towing straight ahead or if there's been any type of suspension work done on the car. Contrary to other posters in this thread my engineer father always taught me to keep my tires rotated. Tires can begin to wear unevenly if they're left on the same wheel. They need to be rotated to another wheel to offset that wear so that the new position will help the tires to wear evenly. For radial tires they need to be rotated front to back. You also need to keep your tires properly inflated which will also help the tires wear properly and extend their lifespan. You can find the correct tire pressure for your car on the door sill on the driver's side door. You should check your tire pressure once a month and in the morning before the car has been driven. This will get you the most accurate tire pressure. You can buy a tire pressure at most big box or automotive parts stores. They're not expensive. Also run your hand across each tire for another way to make sure your tires are wearing properly. BTW, the MB Classic Center is a very good source for information and parts in general for your 190. Please let us know how this all turns out.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.6
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
w201fan, By old Dodge perhaps I should have been more clear. This is a very old Dodge PowerWagon , I think a 1954? A plate on the dash says not to exceed 40mph. My neighbour has been wanting to buy it for years but my husband kept it for snow ploughing, moose hunting and wood gathering. It was never used for highway travel.
My 190E while very nice condition is not pristine. It has seen a fair bit of use of gravel and dirt roads. It has original metallic blue paint but it does have some scratches, small dings and a couple of touch up spots. The front carpet is dirty and the vinyl on one rear door has shrunk along the top and I stapled it back. This is not a show car.
I decided to drive it this winter for the very simple reason that I enjoy driving it and at my age I wonder how many years that will be possible. I have no one to give it to and I don't need money so why not just enjoy it and if it deteriorates as a result of winter use then so be it?
I do in fact check the tire pressures regularly and always before a highway trip .
Still no response from the tire shop regarding my complaint but once it is resolved one way or the other I will post the results. Thanks for your advice and concern as always.

·
Registered
2001 E320
7 Posts
w201fan, By old Dodge perhaps I should have been more clear. This is a very old Dodge PowerWagon , I think a 1954? A plate on the dash says not to exceed 40mph. My neighbour has been wanting to buy it for years but my husband kept it for snow ploughing, moose hunting and wood gathering. It was never used for highway travel.
My 190E while very nice condition is not pristine. It has seen a fair bit of use of gravel and dirt roads. It has original metallic blue paint but it does have some scratches, small dings and a couple of touch up spots. The front carpet is dirty and the vinyl on one rear door has shrunk along the top and I stapled it back. This is not a show car.
I decided to drive it this winter for the very simple reason that I enjoy driving it and at my age I wonder how many years that will be possible. I have no one to give it to and I don't need money so why not just enjoy it and if it deteriorates as a result of winter use then so be it?
I do in fact check the tire pressures regularly and always before a highway trip .
Still no response from the tire shop regarding my complaint but once it is resolved one way or the other I will post the results. Thanks for your advice and concern as always.
If you have heard of PepBoys, they do good alignment for all vehicles. As to your statement "I have no one to give it to..." there are many charities who will be glad to take your car when you don't need. Also, there are auto recyclers who will pay for your car. But if you want to keep on using, don't spend much other than do patch work.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Sorry but we don't have PepBoys in Canada or at least the part where I live. My husband and I have donated three vehicles to a charity that supports children with addiction issues. over the years and this one will likely go there also someday. By no one I should have stated "no children to give it to."

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I finally got an answer from the tire store that installed the tires and performed the alignment. They admit that they made a mistake but blame it on not having the specialty Mercedes Benz tool? They advised that the tires are aligned and for me not to worry. They have also offered a full refund on the job. This appears to be th best that I can do. I will just live with the off centre steering wheel until such time as I can get my car to a Mercedes dealer which means not ever since it is so far away.
Thanks so much for all the advice.

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
10,169 Posts
If you're careful it's not too difficult to take the airbag off, undo the steering wheel bolt and re-index it yourself. Make sure to disconnect the battery first so you don't set off the airbag. You may need a 6 foot length of gas pipe or scaffolding pole to get the bolt holding the steering wheel loose however. I used an electric impact wrench.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,637 Posts
Hi Laura, please review post #15 (it has been a while) for a refresher.
You should take them up on their offer and get your money back for the alignment.
At a convenient time for yourself, you will need to get it re-done in a competent shop.
And when that time comes, I would give instructions to the new tire shop not to take your steering wheel off when they remedy the problem.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
If you're careful it's not too difficult to take the airbag off, undo the steering wheel bolt and re-index it yourself. Make sure to disconnect the battery first so you don't set off the airbag. You may need a 6 foot length of gas pipe or scaffolding pole to get the bolt holding the steering wheel loose however. I used an electric impact wrench.
Thanks but am not going to take the wheel off. It was fine before so it should be able to realign the wheels and get the steering wheel back centred.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
My last word on this subject I promise! I went to town today and got the refund for the botched alignment job on my 190E 2.6. The counter person said to me in a gruff voice "We don't do Mercedes alignments because they require special tools which we don't have and no one else in this town will be able to do it either." There is no dealer here.
So my question is....Does my Mercedes require some type of special equipment to align the front wheels? Some on here say yes and others say no. What is the correct answer?

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,443 Posts
No. The tie-rods and eccentric bolts all require only basic hand tools to adjust.

They're full of shit.
+1 on that.

The special "tool" they're probably referring to is the spreader bar. However, as I've mentioned before my car has been aligned twice, both without the spreader bar and it tracks perfectly straight and the steering is spot on. As long as you have a good alignment technician and the newest Hunter laser rack, it should be fine.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts