Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S500
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought Brigestone Turanza LS-V's from TireRack today, and am having them drop-shipped to my local independent. I couldn't get the Goodyear Assurances from Tire Rack because the speed rating was too low (Their policy). I'm hoping these new tires will soften the ride somewhat. Right now the ride is harsh in my opinion. (running Michelin Energy's with 2/32nds left on the tread) It's a non-ADS car with new spheres. I still think the ride is quite jarring over small bumps and pot holes. The ride is stable at freeway speed with no shimmy (pulls right though). I can't detect any clunking that you would normally associate with worn ball joints. The car is appraoching 95,000 miles and I run about 29 psi in the tires. Is there any other suspension components that could account for the harsh ride. Also, I can't really tell if it's front or rear- just harsh and jarring over bumps that shouldn't be.

·
Registered
94 s420 98 s420
539 Posts
Hey pc, I believe the suspension in general is a sport tighter suspension, to allow for better handling, its not a boat ride like the cadillacs. I owned a cadillac in the past and I really dont miss that soft ride. I prefer this tighter suspension, alot better handling, switch lanes with eas and can cut corners at higher speeds. If I tried to cut a sharp corner with the Cadillac all passengers would be on one side. So I really enjoy the stiffer suspension.

As for the tires, I think that was the right thing they did. The manual calls for 100H, 100 for the amount of pounds each tire can withstand and the H is for the speed. I believe 100H is 1800+ Lbs ( per tire) at speeds of 130MPH, Anything less you will risk getting a blowout in this heavy fast vehicle. I think the engines are also governed not to go above 130MPH due to the tire rating, to avoid a blowouts.

·
Registered
1997 S500
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True- I think the Bridgestones will be a good choice. As for the ride, I'm going to have the my indie take a good hard look just the same. I want to be carefull not to give any pre-conceived notions like " check the lower ball joints- I'm sure their bad". More like "since you've got it up in the air, would you mind checking the suspension out?" We'll see. It goes in on Monday.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts