Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG, 2006 E500
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...

I'm getting the following tires: BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 as soon as my new wheels arrive.

Now, sizing for tires, I'm looking at the following:

225/40/18 x 255/35/18
or
235/40/18 x 265/35/18

The price difference would be $81.78 total

Just wondering if the price difference is worth the extra little bit of rubber.

·
Premium Member
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic and 2003 CLK430 Cabrio
1,919 Posts
I would go with the 265's. To make sure your sidewall is even with outer edge of the rim. It looks bad when the rim is wider than the tire. A lot of guys have done that. But.... Check for rubbing first!

·
Registered
01 CLK55 & 00 ML55
863 Posts
keep in mind that it affects how tall the wheel is also. the 225 40 means that it's 40% of 225mm thick sidewall. so 40% of 225 vs 40% of 235 means the 235 will sit higher and make more tire thickness. lots of people want rid of the gap and black rubber between the outside of the wheel and the fender of the car. if you like that, then go w/ 225. 235 would work better if that doesn't bother you and you want traction and tire life

·
Registered
2003 Ford Ranger kickass edition. Soon 2003 SL55
437 Posts
Prana--I cant really comment on tire size or anything like that but I do have these tires on my car right now. I have 235/35/19's and they ride very nice. I really dont drive the car in rain or snow but on drive pavement they are great. I have about 10k on them and I have noticed that if the car is not in perfect alligment then the tires will start to make noise but i think that is the case with any tires. Overall i would but them again very aggressive tread pattern.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys! I've just mounted a set of AMG Styling III 18'' wheels on my CLK 230K. 7,5 x 18 with 225/40/18 Fr and 8,5 x 18 with 255/35/18 RFT on the rear.
After that a problem has occured, my ESP begins to work at low speed and in situations completly unnecessary. Does anyone have experienced this? What can be wrong?
If anyone can help me, Thank you very much

Regards,

Jorge Simoes

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
I have those(18's w/stagger) wheels. Nice choice. Problem is 9 1/2 rears . If you haven't mounted the rears yet, try it & see what I mean. Very close to inside body. Anything over 255 is hype and overkill. TA's are excellent choice. You're going in the right direction, just make sure you check it out. I went 225/ & 255/ if thats any help.

·
Registered
2002 CLK430
1,681 Posts
mop18795 said:
Hi guys! I've just mounted a set of AMG Styling III 18'' wheels on my CLK 230K. 7,5 x 18 with 225/40/18 Fr and 8,5 x 18 with 255/35/18 RFT on the rear.
After that a problem has occured, my ESP begins to work at low speed and in situations completly unnecessary. Does anyone have experienced this? What can be wrong?
If anyone can help me, Thank you very much

Regards,

Jorge Simoes
You may want to look into the "revs per mile" figures for those tires on those sized wheels (wheel width makes a difference). ESP on a CLK is based on the front and rear tires having pretty close to the same rolling diameter. When they're off, the ESP will let you know.

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
I researched this for almost a week. Not all tire brands match 225/ 255 in diameter. I bought a set (225/ & 255's) matching diameters 25.1 in. Some 255's are smaller. Check it out before you buy. The car originally came with 17 rears, 1 in. undersized diameter. Even though profile#'s were correct. I didn't get any ESP, ABS, or problems. You could be a little off. Not much, but a little. But also don't assume mine and others are identical. Don't forget shorter wheel lugs . Its all a matter of personal taste and what you want for performance. Its all you.

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG, 2006 E500
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hary Gahtoe said:
Problem is 9 1/2 rears . If you haven't mounted the rears yet, try it & see what I mean.
This sounds like one of those situations that may cause me money after I find out what you mean..... Can you clue me in? Is it going to rub under hard driving or something? I haven't purchased the tires yet.... should I change something?

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
You definitely want to measure the clearance. The inside tire to body clearance is very tight. Check the rear wheel offset. Is it +38? If it is, a 255 will still fit. By trimming the plastic wheel well liner(just +/- 1/2 in) and also carefully rolling back the body (with a large hammer) at about 2-3'oclock position to the wheel. Right where the suspension mount is. I had to stroke it pretty hard. Its a welded tab/seam. After that I siliconed the inner fender well back against the body for extra clearance. If your careful you can gain 1 - 1 1/2 in. Enough to get a safety margin on a hard slide. Hope this is some help. Its do-able. Done properly only you will know you beat a Mercedes with a Ball Peen hammer!

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
Yo, Prana got it nailed down. Doin a new post. Pics & all. It went down pretty much as I wanted. It runs as good as it looks. Look for my next new post. You should be feelin the look.

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG, 2006 E500
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing it. BTW - is the clearance problem when the car is lowered or stock?

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
I already lowered the car, but clearance like that shouldn't change. Its close to the axle line or right in the center. Try it with a wheel you'll see what I mean. If anything it might just be 1 1/2 higher up the wheel at stock height. There's a new post with pics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks guys, I've been out for a few days. I understood that ESP compares Front and Rear wheel Revs, I've bben nat Mercedes Dealer and I've been told that Runflat Tires may also cause some problems because they are rigid tires and it might confuse the ESP sensors.
Does anyone use this kind of tires without problems?
Thanks, Best Regards

Jorge:thumbsup:

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
Which ever way you go, I'm sure you'll do fine. Just check overall diameter front/rear. If you drop it , watch the rear width. Tolerances are tight, not much room using a 9 1/2 rear rim. Give a shout when you decide. Lookin' for a post & your take on whatever setup you do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts