Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Mercedes 450sl
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ran the new timing chain, the right bank is spot on with 0 TDC and the left bank is just a touch behind, is this within tolerance for good timing?
Product Wood Automotive tire Gear Gas
Automotive tire Gear Bicycle part Cylinder Household hardware

·
Premium Member
1980 450 SL
417 Posts
It would be off more if the chain slipped when you installed it so it looks like you did it correctly Did you change the cam shaft sprockets?
What model r107 is this and what is the millage? Need to update you profile with model r107. If the heads have ever been milled it will change the timing mark on the cam shaft. Other than wear on the sprockets or the heads being a little lower I don't know why it wouldn't be closer with a new chain. Is it a MB chain or 3rd party ? Probably doesn't matter but curious.

·
Registered
1978 Mercedes 450sl
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! It's a 78' 450sl with 77k miles, didn't change the sprockets because they looked to be in great shape and I used an aftermarket IWIS chain. Do you think this is far enough off to make it run bad??

·
Premium Member
1980 450 SL
417 Posts
Thanks for the reply! It's a 78' 450sl with 77k miles, didn't change the sprockets because they looked to be in great shape and I used an aftermarket IWIS chain. Do you think this is far enough off to make it run bad??
Not much difference if it was dead on. It's probably sprocket wear and possibly the mfg tolerances for the chain. It certainly won't cause it to run bad.

·
Premium Member
1980 450 SL
417 Posts
Interesting.. how I would use a woodruff key??
You would remove the passenger side sprocket and key and replace the key with the offset. However it can be difficult to remove the key because part of it is under the spacer for the sprocket. You may need to pull the spacer off to get the old key out and align it for the new key.

·
Registered
1978 Mercedes 450sl
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok very cool! But in your opinion this isn't a necessity for a properly timed/ running engine?

·
Registered
1990 420 SEC
840 Posts
What is the crank shaft balancer scale showing if you align left cam timing marks? 18 deg on crankshaft is one teeth off. 8 deg on crank will cause it idle uneven. Bad quality/ worn chain causes right cam to be off more.

·
Registered
1978 Mercedes 450sl
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is the crank shaft balancer scale showing if you align left cam timing marks? 18 deg on crankshaft is one teeth off. 8 deg on crank will cause it idle uneven. Bad quality/ worn chain causes right cam to be off more.
Shows 20 when I line it up.. could I bring the master link to that sprocket, disconnect the chain and try to move the sprocket one tooth forward?

·
Premium Member
1980 450 SL
417 Posts
Shows 20 when I line it up.. could I bring the master link to that sprocket, disconnect the chain and try to move the sprocket one tooth forward?
Wow fooled me! It didn't look like that much. You can mark the chain and sprocket with paint. Remove the tensioner, slip off the sprocket and move it over a link. Need to move the sprocket forward so you can get it back on.
It will want to jump just past the mark.
You shouldn't need to remove the link if you take off the tension. This is how you change the sprockets or guides without replacing the chain.

·
Registered
'88 560SL, '19 AMG E53 Cpe, '19 Audi e-tron, '53 MG TD, '35 Ford Cpe and a few more
351 Posts
I had the same offset when I did the chain, guides and cam sprockets. I just left it as is, figuring that it'll just broaden the torque curve a bit.

·
Registered
'88 560SL, '19 AMG E53 Cpe, '19 Audi e-tron, '53 MG TD, '35 Ford Cpe and a few more
351 Posts
Yes, no problem. As long as it's not far enough off for valves to hit pistons the torque characteristics will just be different. One bank will have slightly more low end and the other will be stronger at the top end. I once was off by one tooth on an old BMW 635CSi and all that happened was that I got out ran by a 5.0 GT Mustang.

It's an old trick with the original BMW S38 M-cars to swap in different sprockets. Modern engines move cam timing around constantly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts