Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this crate - a new, complete, 424 3-pt hitch. While i can see from pictures more or less how it mounts, I really don't know how to proceed. Does anyone know a source of instruction in English or can anyone show some more detailed pictures?

Thanks, Clifton Long

Attachments

·
Registered
'79 Flat Bed 406
206 Posts
Sorry I can't help, but would like to know where you bought yours? I'm considering one for my 406.

Dave

·
Registered
4Sale: 230G, U1200 Ag, 1017A, lots of MB cars, Volvo c303, 416 raildoka, LR D110 TDi
1,217 Posts
Clifton,

I can take some pictures of the 3pt on the 424 here at the shop if you like, and the workshop manual has some parts breakdowns that show the general idea of assembly. It may be tomorrow before I get a chance to post them though.

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just lucked out Dave. Sean from Eurotruck put me in touch with a great guy who had this lying around - he sold his mog sometime ago and had never installed the hitch. He understood I was in a hurry because the road to our new house is a quagmire, so he shipped it to me before he got the $!

There is a 3pt for a 406 advertised on the exchange now.

Ben, that would be a huge help. I assume there is a seperate manual for the hitch somewhere. Do you know if these are MB parts or made by someone else? I suppose there's no way they could include instructions for all the attachments in the manual.

Thanks, Clifton

·
Registered
79 Case 406
408 Posts
I saw the 3 pt hitch on the exchange. I too am interested in one to run a rear scraper blade on my road. Is $2800 the going rate ? I heard that a John Deer 3 pt hitch will bolt right on. Any way to get a functional one for less money ?

thanks

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,621 Posts
Steve,
The 3pt hitchs for the CASE units are not the same a factory Unimog hitchs, and the factory one can't be used because of the CASE rear deck. But because you have the rear deck one can be fabricated to fit for around $750-1000. Or if you know how to weld for much less!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks b101uk,, that's excellent and answers most of my questions. The dots are great. I have two c clips I cant figure out - maybe they are for the sway bar (which I don't have)? They seem to be about the diameter of the sway bar and too small for the big bar on the hitch. Also - how does that arm in the center of my picture, the one without any dot, get oriented on the arm? Is it 180 deg off from the tabs the cylinders attach to? Thanks again.

I got a quote of $3500 and $3800 euros for the hitch FOB Germany. I don't know what a new 406 hitch would be but from what little I learned about them $2800 is a good price.

I know the hitch is very rugged and has the stabilizer link that bolts to the rear wheel gearcase and I don't know what you'd substitute for that. The hitch weighs 500 Lbs. I don't know what an equivalent domestic hitch would go for but I guess you could buy a tractor hitch and get a lot of custom fabrication for $5,000.

This is the blade I got (actually this is a 9', I got an 8' - Frontier (Deere) 2408 - about 1500 lbs.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts