Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1985 416 DOKA mid-mounted Rotzler winch, 1984 U1200AG
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this belongs in what did you do for your truck today...

I changed beds on my U1200, the original lights were to wide and would interfere with the bed hardware I installed...so simple right "just" change the lights...

Final result:
(running lights on)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

The journey...I figured since I was changing the lights I might as well add my 10" light bars in (cneccted to revers light switch)....brackets constructed after cardboard models were made.
Wood Composite material Gas Tool Engineering

Test fitting:
Bumper Gas Sewing machine Office equipment Machine

Thinks are going well...paint and assembly.
Table Wood Gas Electric blue Desk

Still fairly smooth some tweaking to get things aligned...still some left to do but overall ok.

Bumper Gas Motor vehicle Machine Kitchen stove
Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

Then the right brake light would not work....and the back of the truck exploded...
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

After a complete rewire of the back-end of the truck all is well, the truck is a few years shy of 40 years old, in that time too many people messed with the wiring for trailers etc.

I stripped out all the excess stuff and rewired the trailer plug it was not quite correct, I still do not know what the light green wire at auxiliary post #2 is supposed to do but at least everything is ass it should be. I disconnected it and wired the reverse lights to the auxiliary post #2, I can always change it back if needed) And my right hand blinker at the trailer plug does not work ...will have to get into the wring diagrams and chase why that is not supplying power.
Font Parallel Slope Rectangle Engineering

In short a simple bed swap from one truck to another...turned into about a weeks worth of work...at least my shot is heated!

Everything works with the exception of a few things at the trailer plug.... I am not currently towing anything so I have a bit of time to figure that out.

· Unimog Moderator
13,967 Posts
Those look fantastic. Be aware if those tail lamps are LED, they may require resistors to not fry the very expensive flasher unit, detailed here:

· Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trev,

Thanks for pointing that out!

I just read the threads related to that....seems the safe bet is to make sure there is enough load on the blinker system, for now the front indicator lights are incandescent so I should be "ok". If I change the front lights to LED I will make sure they have integrated resistors, I am not sure if my tail lights do or not, they are sequenced indicators that might draw enough I could check the load with an ammeter, for now I should be fine.

Here is a link to the lights on Amazon:

LED Tail Lights

· Registered
U1450L DOKA
16,314 Posts
I noticed that your new lights are backwards, or swapped from right to left, compared to the photos of them mounted on the big rigs in Amazon’s listing.
The layout of the ‘arrows’ seemed off to me on your rig.
Did you swap them around in order to get the brake lights to the outside rather than the inside ?

· Registered
U1450L DOKA
16,314 Posts
Odd- I just watched a video of these lamps on the Amazon site, and when the guy connects the yellow wire, the yellow turn indicator flashes sequentially, starting away from the brake light, and ‘traveling’ towards the brake light .
So, if mounted ‘correctly’, as on the big rigs, the sequential turn indicator would flash from the outside of the truck to the inside of the truck, which is the opposite of what I’d expect a sequential turn indicator to do.

Traditionally, on something like a ‘64 T-Bird or some mustangs, sequential turn indicators started towards the center and then blinked ‘out’ towards the outside of the vehicle.

Unless there is something Hinky with the test video, these lights work in the opposite direction - starting away from the brake light and traveling towards it.
With the big rigs, the brake light is always shown towards the center of the truck, so the turn indicators would travel ‘out to in’, which is backwards to the norm.

On your truck, they would travel ‘in to out’, which is what you’d expect.
It seems like the turn indicator travel the wrong direction, but your ‘backwards’ placement would have solved that.

· Registered
1991 U1250 2002 U500NA
4,005 Posts
Hmmm, 72 US$ for a pair is a good price. They are very good-looking.
My concern would be if they were DOT approved and if would they work with CANBUS - turn signal lights and brake lights.

· Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TRUCKTOR,

You are correct, I mounted them that way since it made no sense to me to have the sequenced flasher, flash the wrong way. Also there is a set of small white leds that are one with the running light circuit. The way I have them mounted they shine inward where a European license plate would be on a big truck in Europe. For me they gently light up the the hydraulic connections at the back of the truck.

yarr,

They have numbers embossed on to the lense as if they have some sort of approval. For me not an issue with a 1984 U1200, the inspection here in New Hampshire, just requires lights that work and "seem" correct. On a newer trucks not under DOT age exemption, maybe it could be an issue, my friend who builds dump body's and put lights on them has NEVER been asked about DOT approval for tail lights even for modern dump trucks. I suspect there is a lot more concern about headlights and that they are correctly aimed not too bright etc.
I may need to disconnect my light bars or move them off of the reverse switch for the next inspection...not a big deal for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts