Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that i really needed another 12" sub in the trunk, but it just so happened that i had the main parts for this project and decided to do it just because. I still have the entire factory Bose system in place, this was just an addon.

Parts:
12" pb sub 380watts (250rms)
760watt (350rms) Pioneer Amp
Rockford line level converter
20' 8g amp wiring kit
and all the goodies for the box (message me if you're interested)

I took my time on this one, so it took me a few weekends to put it all together, but i think it came out looking good and sounding even better.

Amp turns on with the MB head unit, through which i control the bass as well. No wires cut, just tapped into with clips.

Sealing with liquid foam

Glueing on fiberglass

Fiber glass done

Box top in place

Side shot of box

Foam up for an air-tight seal all around (cut and sanded the foam after it hardened)

Installed carpeting for the floor and amp rack

Removed my cd changer, and used the mounting holes to make this amp rack

Shots of the finished trunk

Amp rack

Bottle of Fix-A-Flat behind my seat, will do the job (i hope)

I will be making a custom grill for it as well. I'll post that once it's done.

So let me know what you think...

·
Registered
01SLK320 totaled =(
672 Posts
You've done this before I guess. [:)]

Not my speed, but looks good. [:D]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Not for me (I want to keep all the space available in the trunk) but it looks good. Nice install.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
I don't need that much bass, but it looks like a great installation, very professional. Can you still get at the tail light assemblies to change bulbs?

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've actually never done this before. This was my first... It sounds great. At times the bass is a bit over powering the mids and highs, but a quick adjustment, and i'm on my way. Sounds great with the top up or down, too. The one thing i noticed last night was, when i was testing for vibrations i looked under the car and saw the spare tire well floor vibrating about 1" + from the bass... HAHA! Might need to put a brace on that... otherwise i love it. As for the space, i only lost about 1" on the very left of the trunk, 3/4 on the back, and about 3" on the right bottum. So it's not all that bad.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, i can get to the tail light bulbs with no problem. The left side is easy, since i removed the panel cover entirely, and the right side is reachable as well

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
Looks great...I agree that a grill would be nice to protect the sub. Only one thing...I you may have wanted to use silicone sealant instead of foam to seal the box, only because the foam is really porous. And I hope your trunk doens't rattle...seems like it doesn't....wouldn't wanna look like a poor teenager with a beat up civic hatchback rattling to hell with a shiitttttty sub...uhhhh ricers[;)][:D][:D] Have fun with it...I love bass[8D]

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe i should of used silicone, however i read on the foam bottle's label that it is air tight & waterproof. Either way, i guess i'll know for next time, though i have no rattling what so ever now. If you look at the last pic before the carpeting, i used corner braces attached to the factory bolts of the car itself. So the box is 'solid'. I also put some fiberglass into the trunk lid. Once the holes were filled, i covered them with aluminum patchs. So the lid doesn't vibrate either.
Oh yeh, i forgot to mention that this entire box build w/carpet (without sub,amp,wires) costed me $50 (+/-$5)

And there is no need for that CD changer, since i have a 20gig Iriver MP3 player in there. [:D]

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
I drive far distnaces a lot. I cannot be without my spare. ive used it twice since I bought the car.

Looks good tho. No rattle is a neat accomplishment

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
I don't get the whole sub woofer thing. I guess i've never been in a car that didn't sound like a baby rattle with one in it. I was in this guys EVO that had a trunk full of sub woofers and man, everything including the headliner rattled, the dudes bobbing his head getting all into the music. I'm like pffff.

But!

That was a very nice post, i'd let who ever did it work on my car. A clean presentation. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
whenever I see a car with so much bass comming out of it its rattaling the cars around it I look over. 9 times outta 10 its somsone I know has a small penise and is attempting to compensate for something. Its retarded. So much bass ruins the music. I listen to heavy metal so id like to hear a guitar solo once n a while.

Not to mention the ricers down the street would prolly try and steal it outta my car then id have to yea..... u know how this plays out.

Uber bass sucks!

buy a pulley. pics look cool tho he he

--Deathy

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lets not start measuring below the belt... haha [;)] This wasn't about ricing out my SLK230. But i can see where you are coming from. I balanced the mids, highs and the bass, so i am more about quality then quantity of sound. I can care less what anyone outside my car thinks, ricers will be ricers. As for listening to a guitar solo, that wouldn't at all be affected since the amp has a cross over to filter only bass through. So the heavy metal/rock would only utilize the sub and amp when the drums kick in, most of the other instruments will be sent through the mids and highs. I on the other hand listen to mostly Dance, Hiphop, R&B... which mostly consist of bass. But to each his own... [8D]

·
Registered
'04 SLK 32 AMG
101 Posts
My 32 AMG is the first car I've had without a sub since my very first car (3 cars ago) and I'm considering getting something similar done. I'll let some pro's do it (mostly because of the box). I'm thinking about an L-5 (that's the square sub), with a 500 watt JL audio. If I do end up doing it... they'll build, pour, insulate, and install a fiberglass box and new carpet in the trunk. I priced it all at like 1000 or so. I'm pretty sure I will get it done this year. If/when I get it done, I'll be sure to take and upload some pics.

Nice install though

·
Registered
125 Posts
I do this kinda stuff all the time. You did a very nice/methodical install considering it was your first. You'll always do things differently the second time, third, fourth, etc... While I'm not huge fan of the "big-sub in da trunk" especially considering the little trunk and the vulnerability, if the SLK is your "play thing" go for it... we're not here to judge but to offer advise, support & feedback (positive & negative). Based on that... the resulting install while not my taste, is a great job.
Mike

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the feedback everyone... I'll take both the good and the bad, it's the best way to learn. [:)]

·
Registered
2000 SLK
20 Posts
I'm trying to understand the whole "sub-woofer" thing. I thought the whole idea of a stereo is to reproduce the original music as closely as possible. I've been to many concerts and I've felt the deep bass but never in an overpowering way that I see demonstrated on the streets.
It is a very nice install. Kudos to you.
Vince D

·
Registered
1998 LHD SLK 200
79 Posts
Hiya, nice ICE,
I have a smaller sony explode built in amp woofers in my trunk, am now worried where do i stick the extra tyre? I will stick my picture in when i get the car back from fixing the roof

Cheers
M

1 - 20 of 45 Posts