Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just fitted a new stereo into my '81 230CE and it works perfectly except for one issue... It doesn't save the time or any of my settings. I understand this is because there's no continuous power wire for it, but I've only got one power wire. Anyone encounter this problem and how did you deal with it?

·
Registered
see signature
282 Posts
Your new stereo should have at least two power wires, one of which needs a always on source. Use an alligator clip to tap into an always on 12v source somewhere under the dash, maybe the lights? Use an inline fuse to protect the new stereo!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I just tap it off the back lights for the climate control? That would probably be the closest constant power source or wouldn't that give me enough juice? Also what fuse should I use?

·
Registered
see signature
282 Posts
I meant the power line going to the headlight switch. The climate control lights only have power when the headlights/parking lights are on, so it wouldn't be always on. Since your headlights can be on even if the key is off, the line going TO the headlight switch is always on. I would think a ten amp fuse would be enough. Again, you should have TWO power lines going in to your stereo. One for main power(only on in run and acc mode of ignition switch) and one for memory(always on).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a bit awkward getting over there (euro model) I can get a line straight to battery though via the speedo cable hole, can I do this? Also I've got a 5amp in-line fuse would this be enough? Thanks for this by the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts