Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
MB G300D & A170CDI
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I got a wood/leather steering wheel which was previously mounted in a 460 (without horn/airbag), the person sold the 460 but took the steering wheel out and left it at my mechanic and it's mine if I want.

The only problem is if I want to install it, I would like to find a fitting airbag/horn.

But there is absolutyely nothing to be found as indications on the steering wheel itself, eg. if it came out of an E-class, and old W140 S-class, ... so I have no idea where to start looking and what pieces are missing.

To be clear I have a MY91 300GD (463) without airbags and I don't expect them to work either even if I find the missing pieces ;-)

Is there anybody that can help me out ???
It is a real nice steering wheel (even if there's a noticeable scratch in it) and would match my shifter knob.

Thanks a lot !

Attachments

·
Registered
04 Adventurewagen
616 Posts
G -steering wheel

I just bought an steering wheel from a G350TD 1995 - it just looks a bit different.
It is still in Germany - don't have it in my hand right now, but it seems to be the same as my 91 300 GE's.
Don't know if the airbag fits - it sure looks different.

Karl

Attachments

·
Registered
UK:V40;UAE:G500-2000
99 Posts
do let me know if you come across any more, specially the non-airbag one from early 463's, or a wood&leather one from later ones. In the third pic in the first post it looks like the airbag firing (and rapid ***lution of hot gas) wiped out the numbers (speculation only).

·
Registered
MB G300D & A170CDI
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think, after searching the net until midnight and checking the gallery on Benzworld, I am almost sure that it is a W220 S-class steering wheel.

http://www.mp-design.com/steering_w220_wl_multi.htm

Looks like a perfect match to me.

I will call my mercedes benz dealer to have an idea on how much it would cost new, so I know what my negotiating limits are on the secondhand market.

cu

·
Registered
01/G500 and 99/G500
43 Posts
hi FLX
this steering wheel looks exactly as the one from our 2001 G500 !
hope the attachement worked !

good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 300GD SWB, 603 Turbo
503 Posts
air bag

If your G never had an airbag then why do you want to put one in? The airbag systems are very complex with relays and wireing harnesses running down to the bumpers. When the bumpers are hit the airbag inflates. With no relays you have an expensive bag in a box with no possibility of working.

Additionally Mercedes made several different airbag/steering wheel configurations within each model line so matching it up will be a chore in itself.

My vote is spend your money on something else.

Mark

·
Registered
01/G500 and 99/G500
43 Posts
inkblotz said:
If your G never had an airbag then why do you want to put one in? The airbag systems are very complex with relays and wireing harnesses running down to the bumpers. When the bumpers are hit the airbag inflates. With no relays you have an expensive bag in a box with no possibility of working.

Additionally Mercedes made several different airbag/steering wheel configurations within each model line so matching it up will be a chore in itself.

My vote is spend your money on something else.

Mark

hey mark,

he is just looking at the cover, as i understand.......he does not want the airbag to work...

FLX said:
To be clear I have a MY91 300GD (463) without airbags and I don't expect them to work either even if I find the missing pieces ;-)
pretty ugly the stearing wheel without the horn cover......also the buttons to control the comand system wont work in any case ;-)

greez femo

·
Registered
MB G300D & A170CDI
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@femo: thanks , but if you watch very carefully you will see there is a litte difference at the bottom of steering wheel, namely at the separation line between the wood and the leather (horizontally versus vertically)

S-class:http://www.mp-design.com/steering_w220_wl_multi.htm

G-class: http://www.mp-design.com/steering_w210_wl_multi.htm

Anyway I got a first estimation on a S-class airbag: 225 euro, which is al lot of money for a useless sack of air (and multi-non-fuction buttons) but nevertheless 225 euro for a leather and wood steering wheel is that bad at all either. I will keep on looking.

I don't think that the cover of the airbag exits alone (meaning that you always have to buy the airbag with it)

·
Registered
01/G500 and 99/G500
43 Posts
hi FLX

you are right.....but if u look on that website at the G-steering wheels
-10/2000 u find it is showing both.....they also show one without the
airbag.....maybe you can fit that center ?

anycase good luck ;-)

greez
femo

·
Registered
MB G300D & A170CDI
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you're right they look very much alike apart that two upward spokes are more "flat" designed whereas on s-class a little more ergonomic.

Maybe I should look for that none airbag steering wheel apparentely coming from the W124.

I have time, so I will let something know if I find out more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts