Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I discovered two new problems today.

The first problem, The idle speed is way to high. This happened when i got the car about a month ago. It sometimes gets up to 1700 rpm, but when i turn off the car and start it again it goes back down to about 1000-1100 rpm which is till way to high.

The second problem. At low speeds the power steering isnt too good. It becomes hard to move the steering wheel but when i connect the engine and start moving it becomes a little easier. I think it needs more power steering fluid but i cant locate where to put the fluid.

Any help is much appreciated along with any estimates on new power steering system.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
High idle speed.

You probably have some air leaking past the rubber seals on your fuel injectors. Replace the seals.

Power steering.

Before you do anything you might want to check the condition of the power steering filter in the reservoir. Maybe changing it will improve things otherwise you're looking at a new pump.

·
W124 Moderator
12,585 Posts
On the power steering pump question. Many people don't realize that the pump has a filter inside and it should be changed once a year. Extract all the old fluid using something like a turkey baster etc. Use a long reach 10mm socket to release the retaining nut, and you should be able to figure out the rest. Use MB power steering fuild when you re-fill. Fill about 1/2 way, start the car, turn the steering wheel and then check again. Only fil to the proper level. Pics show you everything.

Good Luck,

Jayare

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The power steering disconnects when i disengage the engine from the transmission. At low speed when the engine is connected it kind of works but it is still hard.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks Jayare, Do i need a new pump or just change the filter.

·
W124 Moderator
12,585 Posts
Campo,

Have you checked the power steering fluid? There is no "disconnect" with the power steering. If the engine is running, you have power steering - period. Check the fluid, buy a new filter (less than $10) and follow the instructions I outlined.

On the hi-low idle, classic symptoms of a bad OVP relay (Over Voltage Protection Relay) Check the fuse on top (behing the battery, clear or red henged top. Nothing else looks like it.) You can take the unit out and re-solder all the joints or just buy a new one.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you are interested I have a Vickers pump removed from my 1992 300E which was totaled at 135K miles. Pump is in perfect condition, filter changed every two years. I maintained car that it was removed from personally for the last 70K miles of cars life and my friend maintained it prior to that.

If interested make me a reasonable offer.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Campo,

Have you checked the power steering fluid? There is no "disconnect" with the power steering. If the engine is running, you have power steering - period. Check the fluid, buy a new filter (less than $10) and follow the instructions I outlined.

On the hi-low idle, classic symptoms of a bad OVP relay (Over Voltage Protection Relay) Check the fuse on top (behing the battery, clear or red henged top. Nothing else looks like it.) You can take the unit out and re-solder all the joints or just buy a new one.

Good Luck,

Jayare
Power Steering fluid is at the right level.

On the high idle. The OVP relay would trigger the check engine light right?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just another note, when the steering wheel is turned at a certain degree, it makes a noise(i dont know how to describe it, its a high pitch whine and it corresponds with engine rpm). Also Jayare, i know that the power steering doesnt disconnect, that is what is so weird that when i engage the clutch the power steering seems not to work.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are interested I have a Vickers pump removed from my 1992 300E which was totaled at 135K miles. Pump is in perfect condition, filter changed every two years. I maintained car that it was removed from personally for the last 70K miles of cars life and my friend maintained it prior to that.

If interested make me a reasonable offer.
Well they are selling on ebay for 25-40 dollars. So let me PM you and we can work out an arrangement.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Not sure if this thread is dead or not but my $0.02 on the "disconnected power steering" is that the serpentine belt is slipping. It might be rock hard or there might be another reason - like a seized pump or oil-soaked pulley that is causing the slipping.

·
Registered
814 Posts
On the power steering pump question. Many people don't realize that the pump has a filter inside and it should be changed once a year. Extract all the old fluid using something like a turkey baster etc. Use a long reach 10mm socket to release the retaining nut, and you should be able to figure out the rest. Use MB power steering fuild when you re-fill. Fill about 1/2 way, start the car, turn the steering wheel and then check again. Only fil to the proper level. Pics show you everything.

Good Luck,

Jayare
Hi Jayare,

is it possible to change the PS filter without removing the entire housing from the engine bay like you did?

Thanks!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hi Jayare,

is it possible to change the PS filter without removing the entire housing from the engine bay like you did?

Thanks!
It is possible, just reach down in there with some CLEAN needle nose pliers and pull straight out.

The question I have is being able to hook up clear tubing to the return line and firing up the engine to run all the fluid through into a container while pouring new fluid in until all fluid coming out on the return end runs clear. Has anyone tried this method before. Seems like it would be the most thorough way of flushing the system while keeping the actual pump in?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Greetings,
After reading this article, it occurred to me that I hadn't checked the
fluid for quite some time (I hadn't been driving it for about 9mos. 'cause
I needed to replace the alternator, and winter here in the great northwest
is less than ideal for working out in the driveway). Anyway. I see that it
definitely needs replacing (the fluid). Given that I just put the
radiator, and everything back, and adjusted the belt after the alternator
R&R. I'm not anxious to dismantle the front-end again. So I'm going
to take a stab at purging the power steering system with the pump in place.
I'll post all the pretty pictures, and specifics of the job here, as I
discover them.

Best wishes.

--Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
86-benz
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing