Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Following the step by step instructions on here I replaced my OEM steering wheel with the new one I bought from Eddie Tham. I love the damm thing a lot. Notice the leather is black on it and my OEM airbag is that damm gray color MB uses. I need to get a used SL500 black airbag. My local dealer qouted me a price of 1.5K for new OEM SLK230 airbag. I had no idea of airbags costs but I do now. WOW!!!

When taking out the old airbag I somehow used the wrong torx wrench and the tip of the wrench broke off. I had a heart attack and about shit my pants. My wife was pissed but that is nothing new in my house! I thought I had ruined the airbag trying to get it off. I went with my wife and our pups for a drive but I ended up calling 430 for moral support. My best friend here along with Bruce and Papa.

Later in the evening I managed to get the torx wrench head out and the rest was easy. I am really good at certain things but it is obvious I would make a lousy mech. I love to fabricate but the finish work I am not so good at. Ask Aaron. I now have a kick ass steering wheel with a gray airbag. I think I will find a used SL airbag and switch. In person the difference is ok but in photos it is striking. At least for me.

Eddie Tham wanted to see interior photos. I took photos of my Honda S200 wind screen which folds down. He also wanted to know what else I planned on doing for my interior;

1) BLACK AIRBAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2) Rewrap parts of my interior with tan leather and the black leather that is OEM have rewrapped in high quality black leather.
3) New seats!!!!
4) Nav system and upgraded stereo.
5) XBOX 360 for my son.
6)3 guage cluster where the OEM cup holder is. A 350Z type guage cluster!
7) Have chrome roll bars stripped and either rechromed in a black chrome or carbon fiber them!
8)Brabus illuminated door sills and Brabus handbrake cover!!

More I am forgetting for sure. Thoughts on the steering wheel and airbag combo???!!!??!?!?!

Many thanks to Eklasse, 430, Papa, and Oberio. Oberio, what a good sport and good guy. We had issues before and I hate having issues with any of you guys. Having said that "Piss off all you Buggers, Wankers, and Mama's boys"!!!!!!!! Most of you guys are so helpful and understanding. Only reason I stick around passing out all of my knowledge and (STOP LAUGHING dammmit) ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buellwinkle was right on the money when he said I need 18" tires/rims. The OEM rims are chrome and 16" Enough said. OJ was right about lowering it. So many projects and so little money makes for long "To do lists"!!!

Arotished, email will be sent later today!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I cant really see the color diff, And as I said cf is grey so....its all good

·
Registered
346 Posts
I believe, that if it bothered me, I would simply paint that cover. Or have someone paint it. Its not that hard to match the colors. Too me it looks fine as is. Spend that 1.5K on something else. Take the missus to Aruba.

·
Registered
816 Posts
The sterring wheel looks very nice, good thing that you manage to fix the problem, guess that's why you hade a bad day yesterday :) I'm also looking for a new one cuz the OEM one is not that good looking. I would like to see some carbon on mine but I also have the airbag issue, if I find a good looking wheel I need a air bag and they are TO DAMN EXPENSIVE! But do you now drive without an airbag? Or do the OEM 230 airbag fit in SL500 steering wheel?

And about something els for your To-Do list. x360 for your son? in your car? :p Lowering your car with some real 18" rims on would make your car looks much better. I'm not a big fan of chrome wheels, makes to much bling bling. I'm gonna soon put on my 19" SLR turbin wheels and the new stoptech 4 piston BBK, just need some rubber on the rims along with lowering it 30 mm with eibach springs and bilstein shocks:)

Re-painting the Roll-bars to barbon or black would also look nice, but the chrome one also looks good, dont you think?

Since you havent already installed the projector head light's I guess you dont like them but I'm very happy with it. What do you mean by upgrading? You gonna cut out for sub in the back?

But anyway, Like you said....money is the problem. Cant have it all on one time ;)

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Steve'O looking good.

Does not look like a huge difference in colors between the airbag and the wheels. Just be aware that dye lots vary. So even if you get the SL500 aribag it may not match 100%.

I had that issue when I had my stock airbag replaced under warranty. The metal logo in the middle of the airbag faded and the only way to "fix" it was for the dealer to order a new airbag. The color and the texture were different than the original airbag. Not a huge difference but enough for me to notice.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Steve'O looking good.

Does not look like a huge difference in colors between the airbag and the wheels. Just be aware that dye lots vary. So even if you get the SL500 aribag it may not match 100%.

I had that issue when I had my stock airbag replaced under warranty. The metal logo in the middle of the airbag faded and the only way to "fix" it was for the dealer to order a new airbag. The color and the texture were different than the original airbag. Not a huge difference but enough for me to notice.
AAhhh, stupid me. I can see that I have a different sterring wheel then you Steve. Your airbag looks not like the one on mine. So you have fittet the 230 airbag in the 500 steering wheel :)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The steering wheel I bought from Eddie is not sold in the states but you can order it I am sure. It fits both the R129 and the R170 along with about 4 different models. I think it was EKlasse who installed the black SL airbag into his steering wheel. If I get the right paint through Oberio how will it look. Painted leather and all. Just seems it would not work but I have no idea about the subject, hence my ignorance! I have photos that show how the gray airbag looks on a black steering wheel. Papa told me to give it a chance and maybe the look will grow on me. Maybe the best advice yet! Papa don't preach!! I just had to get that in somewhere. Thanks 007 (Inside joke)!!!!!

Photo shows the difference! I need a black airbag and may take up Oberio up on his offer to help!!! Either that or get a used SL black airbag. Does the SLk230's have black airbags as they are the same for certain years!

Attachments

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Scrap yards have air bags, cheap but not that cheap!
Do like the guys say, paint the thing with flat black or use the "dye" that is available, you will not see the difference frim the rest of the wheel. $1500.00 is out of line for a new one, but that's about what they all go for, even in a Chevy... :(
They steal them around here, and sell them on the open market.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AMPM, As always you come through. Bruce, I cannot beleive how much money the airbags are. I would have never guessed airbags are more than the entire steering wheels. Is painting better versus dying it. I would assume painting it but is the paint made for leather and will a person be able to tell it has been painted. Last photo I posted shows the stark difference in color and I think painting it is the way to go. Thanks for the input all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
funny... we share these things in common:

2) Rewrap parts of my interior with tan leather and the black leather that is OEM have rewrapped in high quality black leather. (except for the wrapping in tan part..)
3) New seats!!!!
6)3 guage cluster where the OEM cup holder is. A 350Z type guage cluster! (for when i finally install the supercharger)

I like it that you are considering the suspension upgrade...i just know you will love your slk in a whole new way once you get a feel of it with the upgraded springs/shocks/sways.... its really something else!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
funny... we share these things in common:

2) Rewrap parts of my interior with tan leather and the black leather that is OEM have rewrapped in high quality black leather. (except for the wrapping in tan part..)
3) New seats!!!!
6)3 guage cluster where the OEM cup holder is. A 350Z type guage cluster! (for when i finally install the supercharger)

I like it that you are considering the suspension upgrade...i just know you will love your slk in a whole new way once you get a feel of it with the upgraded springs/shocks/sways.... its really something else!

OJ,

You have no idea how much I want new Kosie rims and tires (18" of course) and to lower the car. It bugs me to no end. Thanks BUELLWINKLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have always sort of seen things the same way when to comes to cars. I still have your emails with the meth injection kit and have not forgot but it is like most things, on the back burner. You have made mistakes but only because you are young where as my mistakes have no [email protected]!!

Keeping it real!!!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hey Steve,

nice! now i know how to wheel really looks like in your car! Sigh. If only I had the same airbag. If it is in black I think it would be better. That's my 2 cents worth of comment. ;P

·
Registered
816 Posts
H&R Sport Spring with #2 pads all around...
KONI yellow shocks
H&R Rear sway bar (front coming soon)

you would need a #1 front pad in a 230 to achieve the same drop...
I guess you have 40mm springs right? Anyway, thanks I guess I'll also will go for nr 2 pads all around. But why do we need a new swaybar? I came acrosss this BRABUS stabilizer kit, is this for the rear and front? And last, how hard is it to install these on our car? Much that needs to be disassambled?

Attachments

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
I guess you have 40mm springs right? Anyway, thanks I guess I'll also will go for nr 2 pads all around. But why do we need a new swaybar? I came acrosss this BRABUS stabilizer kit, is this for the rear and front? And last, how hard is it to install these on our car? Much that needs to be disassambled?
The thicker bar is for the front. It's not to hard to install.
The thinner one goes in back, and it is a major project.
The rear suspension package has to be dropped and then the bar can be put in place. As I recall there are only four bolts that hold the rear in place, but that package includes the diff. and all the suspension components, it's very heavy.
The two lighter gray links tie the rear sway bar to the suspension.
The 1998 SLK's did not have a rear sway bar, I think the rear sway bars were first installed in the 2000 models.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts