Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got my G, it has sat about 1/2" low on the driver's front. I had assumed it was the shocks and springs getting tired, so ordered them up from the good folks in Georgia.
Koni shocks and Sachs OE replacement springs.
Lifted truck up by almost an inch, improved its ride over the rough back roads I tested it on.
Then I get back to the garage to measure and it is still half an inch low on the driver's front. Guess they put my truck together during Oktoberfest. :beerchugr:
Steve had warned me that some are this way, and he is apparently correct. As all the alignment checks out and springs are gtg.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Since I got my G, it has sat about 1/2" low on the driver's front. I had assumed it was the shocks and springs getting tired, so ordered them up from the good folks in Georgia.
Lifted truck up by almost an inch, improved its ride over the rough back roads I tested it on.
Then I get back to the garage to measure and it is still half an inch low on the driver's front. Guess they put my truck together during Oktoberfest. :beerchugr:
Steve had warned me that some are this way, and he is apparently correct. As all the alignment checks out and springs are gtg.
Nate,

I do not think so - the standard German worker will do excellent precision work even after visiting "die Wiesen" (Oktoberfest)

The Austrian counterpart (Graz is in Austria) might have a problem after vising one of the many Ausschank and had to much of the Heurigen.....

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nate,

I do not think so - the standard German worker will do excellent precision work even after visiting "die Wiesen" (Oktoberfest)

The Austrian counterpart (Graz is in Austria) might have a problem after vising one of the many Ausschank and had to much of the Heurigen.....
Aye, good point. Punters from Austria made my truck crooked ! :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
This issue is common, mine has it too.
It's been discussed a lot and the problem is most likely the bushings (arms,bars, etc).
It is suggested that you change the bushings, then leave the car with the bolts loose, and tighten them will on the ground. This should fix the drunk position of your G:p:surrender:

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This issue is common, mine has it too.
It's been discussed a lot and the problem is most likely the bushings (arms,bars, etc).
It is suggested that you change the bushings, then leave the car with the bolts loose, and tighten them will on the ground. This should fix the drunk position of your G:p:surrender:
Yup, had my WTF moment and used search this morning, which was why my comments were so laid back. :thumbsup:

Just have to find a garage that has a truly level floor. All of those I have access to are slightly angled for drainage.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Yup, had my WTF moment and used search this morning, which was why my comments were so laid back. :thumbsup:

Just have to find a garage that has a truly level floor. All of those I have access to are slightly angled for drainage.
And, even then, it still probably won't make any difference. It sure didn't on mine and many others.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And, even then, it still probably won't make any difference. It sure didn't on mine and many others.
Read that too, but truck is 13 years old so I don't mind at least trying the bushing replacement route.
If it is still crooked, at least I know that it has all new good stuff underneath it,.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Read that too, but truck is 13 years old so I don't mind at least trying the bushing replacement route.
If it is still crooked, at least I know that it has all new good stuff underneath it,.
Curious to see if this will sort your problem. Please keep us posted:D

·
Registered
615 Posts
If all that doesn't help you,

Cut two pads from a 1/2" plywood, paint or cover those pieces to your liking,

and place those pad under the tires of the low side - like the guys do it with their motorhomes.

A nice detail would be a grip hole on one side of the pad, its easier to stow away in the G-wagen when driving.

It takes only a second to place those pads, and you will be happy to look at your trusted, now level, truck.

Merry Christmas :)

BTW do not leave them behind when driving off......

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could use one of the self deploying snowchain setups to put it under without me having to get out :thumbsup:

If all that doesn't help you,

Cut two pads from a 1/2" plywood, paint or cover those pieces to your liking,

and place those pad under the tires of the low side - like the guys do it with their motorhomes.

A nice detail would be a grip hole on one side of the pad, its easier to stow away in the G-wagen when driving.

It takes only a second to place those pads, and you will be happy to look at your trusted, now level, truck.

Merry Christmas :)

BTW do not leave them behind when driving off......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts