Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2007 SLK280
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my 2007 SLK280 this week with auto, P2, Comm. Pkg, heating pkg, iPod integration, and Bluetooth.

Why does Mercedes recommend I drive in the "C" transmission mode for the first 1000 miles? It seems a little sluggish in "C", is that normal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
BMW E60 & SLK 280 R171
40 Posts
hi

that's probably to ensure you don't over-rev the engine while still running it in. The difference between C & S is pretty huge. In S the engine revs very willingly all the way to near the red line

sometimes when the 7G tronic can't find a gear - the pickup can be sluggish too
but i counteract that by being a bit more heavy footed on the accelerator

i have heard fro other enthusiasts that there's really no need to run in the engine as merc has already done that pre-delivery

i would however advice you to still be gentle for the initial 1000miles - which will pass pretty quick if you take every opportunity to drive the SLK - even to the convenience store - or take the scenic route home more often :)

enjoy your car - it's a great car & much improved over the last SLK

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Welcome and congratulations. The SLK is a bit more sluggish in the C mode but as you will see, it will become less so as things break in. Try using the S mode once in awhile just don't push the car too hard.

·
Registered
06 SLK 280, on order 09 SLK 350
209 Posts
I never drive mine in 'C' mode except when it snows. There have been some reports of engines not being broken-in properly when owners used C mode extensively. I have 8K miles on mine and it has not used a drop of oil.

·
Registered
2007 SLK280
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. How do you find the SLK rides on DC area streets? I find it a little rough. Hope I adjust.

Also, where do you go for service?

·
Registered
06 SLK 280, on order 09 SLK 350
209 Posts
jpnwdc said:
Thanks. How do you find the SLK rides on DC area streets? I find it a little rough. Hope I adjust.

Also, where do you go for service?
Actually I don't find it too bad and I switched to 17" wheels & tires. I am very carefull about avoiding pot holes. Of course my previous car was a G35 Coupe which had a similar ride.
I use Mercedes-Benz of Alexandria for service which is where I bought the car from. They're OK but you don't get a Benz for a loaner car. Plus I really have not had any work done except the ECU update and roof rubber lubing ;)

·
Registered
1989 300 SL (R107)
284 Posts
Coming off a CLK430 Cab, the SLK is a ROUGH ride on bad road surfaces!
I have to plan my way to the office in Paris when I take the SLK (seldom)....

·
Registered
2007 SLK280
100 Posts
eugeneloke said:
The difference between C & S is pretty huge. In S the engine revs very willingly all the way to near the red line....... sometimes when the 7G tronic can't find a gear - the pickup can be sluggish too
but i counteract that by being a bit more heavy footed on the accelerator
Yah, the difference is huge, like going from a Buick to a real sports car.

I only drive in the S mode. I have found the auto trans changes it's shift model quite rapidly based on how you modulate your right foot. Drive mellow and it shifts mellow, drive with vigor and it keeps up with your wishes, besides, you can always "slap it around" when it's not doing just what you want. J/K

Actually, my main gripe is that it doesn't upshift right when you slap the stick, it sort of waits a bit then shifts. It down shifts pretty quick.

Does anybody know how to improve this aspect?

·
Registered
SLK55,CayenneS,XKR
1,995 Posts
Welcome and Congrats on your new car.

·
Registered
2017 GLC 300 4Matic fully loaded... but for the heated steering wheel. Stupid previous owner! 😠
1,142 Posts
danketchpel said:
Yah, the difference is huge, like going from a Buick to a real sports car.

I only drive in the S mode. I have found the auto trans changes it's shift model quite rapidly based on how you modulate your right foot. Drive mellow and it shifts mellow, drive with vigor and it keeps up with your wishes, besides, you can always "slap it around" when it's not doing just what you want. J/K

Actually, my main gripe is that it doesn't upshift right when you slap the stick, it sort of waits a bit then shifts. It down shifts pretty quick.

Does anybody know how to improve this aspect?
It depends on how you drive. If you are driving foot-to-the-floor, even though you up-shifted, it will stay in that gear until you hit redline. It is like that with all Benzes. When you "up-shift", all you are really doing is "allowing" an up shift. If you do not put the hammer down and you do not "allow" an up-shift, it will stay in that gear until you do so. I know this because the other day, I went for a joy ride. As I was making a turn, I held the shifter to the left for a second to "allow" the trans to shift to the optimum gear for accel/decel. Just around that corner there is a railroad crossing, so I slowed down as I crossed, but I forgot I downshifted. For the next twenty minutes I was driving in third gear and I didn't even realize it! I came up on someone's ass so I decided to pass him. When I simply tipped-in the pedal, I noticed the car was really responsive and didn't know why until I looked down at the indicator! OOPS!!

·
Registered
2007 SLK280
100 Posts
Whosdis said:
It depends on how you drive.
Yes I'm beginning to see that more and more. I spent a wonderful 2 hours yesterday blasting around various canyon roads on my way back from the initial dealer inspection. I found that when you get within ~1k rpm of redline it will pretty much shift up right when you slap the stick, if you do it at lower rpms, it will change up but not as rapidly. As you mentioned, it also has to do with how far you're into the loud pedal. The down shifting seems to be more consistant.

I really wish when you put it in "manual" mode by moving the lever left or right it was just that, manual. I'd like it to shift exactly when I move the lever and stay in that gear regardless, just like a standard tranny.

Has anybody found a way to "mod" the behavior of the 7sp auto? Since it's all electronic it would be a software fix but hacking into the Benz ECU is probably more akin to hacking into the world bank. I know you can buy several products that will allow you to reprogram the shift programs for american electronic automatic trannys.

·
Registered
2005 slk 350
468 Posts
Whosdis said:
It depends on how you drive. If you are driving foot-to-the-floor, even though you up-shifted, it will stay in that gear until you hit redline. It is like that with all Benzes. When you "up-shift", all you are really doing is "allowing" an up shift. If you do not put the hammer down and you do not "allow" an up-shift, it will stay in that gear until you do so. I know this because the other day, I went for a joy ride. As I was making a turn, I held the shifter to the left for a second to "allow" the trans to shift to the optimum gear for accel/decel. Just around that corner there is a railroad crossing, so I slowed down as I crossed, but I forgot I downshifted. For the next twenty minutes I was driving in third gear and I didn't even realize it! I came up on someone's ass so I decided to pass him. When I simply tipped-in the pedal, I noticed the car was really responsive and didn't know why until I looked down at the indicator! OOPS!!
If you had gotten the manual, you could have avoided all that nonsense. Shift and go. Complete control.

·
Registered
2017 GLC 300 4Matic fully loaded... but for the heated steering wheel. Stupid previous owner! 😠
1,142 Posts
As of yet, I do not have an SLK. I am currently leasing a C-Class. But when the lease is up, I am going to have some fun! I have already tested the 350 7-speed and I am still dreaming of the test drive (about a year and a half ago!) I am 6'1" tall and I found I fit comfortably. I will have to test a manual to make sure I can get my leg off and on the clutch pedal. Some of the cars that come across my shop I have a hard time with, wanna make sure it will not be an issue.

·
Registered
SLK 350 (2006)
421 Posts
bmwnomore said:
If you had gotten the manual, you could have avoided all that nonsense. Shift and go. Complete control.
You trade the occasional nonsense of the automatic for the constant nonsense of the manual. I will never get a manual again. This automatic in particular is fun to use, even when you don't use the "stick" to shift. And the "stick" shift of the automatic of the SLK 350 is a LOT better (faster and smoother) than the SLK320 was, IMHO.

Most of the problems people are describing are just a matter of getting used to how it works. Same sort of thing you would have learning the manual shift (well, probably less). Like in the manual when you stop with the car in an upper gear and then go to start up and forget you had it in an upper gear and stall out when you pop the clutch, etc. etc.

·
Registered
2006, SLK280, Obsidian Black
62 Posts
Whosdis said:
As of yet, I do not have an SLK. I am currently leasing a C-Class. But when the lease is up, I am going to have some fun! I have already tested the 350 7-speed and I am still dreaming of the test drive (about a year and a half ago!) I am 6'1" tall and I found I fit comfortably. I will have to test a manual to make sure I can get my leg off and on the clutch pedal. Some of the cars that come across my shop I have a hard time with, wanna make sure it will not be an issue.
i am 6ft2" and test drove a manual. i had absolutely no bother with the clutch pedal, so don't qorry there is honestly plenty of space in this car.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
N4PWJ said:
i am 6ft2" and test drove a manual. i had absolutely no bother with the clutch pedal, so don't qorry there is honestly plenty of space in this car.:thumbsup:
I am certainly not calling you out on this, but I am still going to test drive one anyway.:D (It is half the fun!)

·
Registered
2007 SLK280
100 Posts
bmwnomore said:
If it had been my desicion alone, it'd be a 6sp manual, but it is "my wifes" car, so it had to be the 7sp auto. At least I get some semblance of "manual" shifting with this one. Now if I could just get it to pay better attention to my "commands"........

·
Registered
2007 SLK280
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
17" Wheels

SLK280DS said:
Actually I don't find it too bad and I switched to 17" wheels & tires. I am very carefull about avoiding pot holes. Of course my previous car was a G35 Coupe which had a similar ride.
I use Mercedes-Benz of Alexandria for service which is where I bought the car from. They're OK but you don't get a Benz for a loaner car. Plus I really have not had any work done except the ECU update and roof rubber lubing ;)

What type of 17" wheels did you get and where did you get them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
SLK350
834 Posts
You don't need to worry about potholes with 17's. Wait till you switch to 19's.

For those of you who complain about the "constant nonsense" of the manual, you must either be old and lazy, or not a very good manual driver. If you're leaving it in a high gear after braking, then stepping on the gas, say, 20mph in 6th gear, you're obviously not very good. I always pop it in neutral when I'm cruising to a stop towards a stoplight (saves gas too). It's all about manual driving instinct.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
In the AMG automatic transmissions there's an "M mode" that listens to your inputs a little better, in the Black series there are also M1 and M2 modes.

The C mode is to prevent you from overrevving the engine, and also to keep you from driving the car too hard. I think there is good sense in breaking in the car gradually.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts