1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SLK230 240,xxx Miles
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all,

Last month I purchased A 1998 SLK 230
Bahama blue, 73,XXX miles & serviced regularly. a few paint chips, a small dent behind the driver door, peeling paint on the inside, the stereo works fine but the display is messed up otherwise works great no problems.

I've been reading the fourm and have the answers to the interior peeling paint,
maintenence & cleaning.

One question I have not found an anwser to
has anyone put in a stereo HU from a 99 SLK into A 98?
and what problems are there, if any after doing so.

Thanks
PS
I posted a pic of my car in the photo gallery
and will post more.

·
Registered
99 slk230 sport
759 Posts
I believe it is not possible, the 98 was one year only, before they went to optic fiber cables. I could be wrong, but this is waht I was told.

·
Registered
05 E55 AMG
611 Posts
You can put a 99+ HU into a 98. You will not have the fiber optic cables that are in the 99+ models, as stated by berk. This will prevent you from using the newer CD changer unit, voice control module, and cellular PSE unit. If you plan to only use the newer unit without using CD changer, phone, or voice control, it will work just fine.

·
Registered
02 - 32 (Stock); 99 SLK230 (RIP); 81 CJ7 (Fully MOD)
399 Posts
It's probably better to think about aftermarket unit?
The Bose will make it looks factory, but i would consider other options if you are about the sound.

I start finding out that my stock Bose does not have that much umph driving with the top down :crybaby2:

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks
Berk, Ryououki & dwieden

my big concern is keeping the stock look, but also having A Ipod directly connected to the system (I have a FM transmitter and theres to much static)
Ive also checked out bipes and their options.

I found this today
PA11-HON + CB-PM4 USA Spec iPod Adapter Interface for Mercedes (1994-1998) iPod Car Pros
they say "directly connects your iPod to your factory radio without the use of FM. You get HD quality sound, power/charging and iPod control from the radio and steering wheel ALL from one cable.
I don't have the stering wheel contols but the stereo control working the ipod would be fine.

Has anyone heard of them or tried it?

Thanks
Leapyfish

·
Registered
399 Posts
Leapyfish,
I have Bipes connected to the stock HU. Installation is very straight forward. I run the ipod wire to the center console where I have the factory phone. It is sufficient if you like the stock sound and look. I am fine with the sound when the top is up. But when you have the top down and crank up your Ipod... I found that the system is not delivering the sound the way I want (I don't think it has enough pull for the type of music I am listening; and I am listening to pretty wide range of musics). I hardly use the CD changer anymore since the Bipes and I consider it to be obsolete soon.

Looking at your signature, you may be driving with the top down most of the time. Well, I would if I am living in your area :D

Another thing is that the Motorola's phone (outdated) is integrated to the audio system for handsfree but service's been cut long time ago. So I am also looking for the handsfree capable HU for the car. I tried many head set for handsfree driving but it's not the same as the one you have from your car's audio. At least, that's what I think.

What ever you decide take your time to consider all options. I like the factory look too, but it's limited IMHO.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dwieden,

Its sitting in traffic with the top up when I need the umph
With the Bipes adaptor, is your stereo as loud as it was before you put the adaptor in?
I dont mind adjusting the EQ & volume through my Ipod.

Yes the weather here can be great here for top down driving lately its been VOGY so in the day its top up and at night its top down.
heres the source of the VOG

Live Panorama of Halema`uma`u, Kilauea Volcano, Hawai`i

HVO Kilauea Status Page

Aloha
Leapyfish

·
Registered
399 Posts
Bipes operates with the HU turned off. It can get pretty loud depending on input from Ipod. It's a hazzle for me to adjust the volume/EQ from my Ipod. I don't even bother, especially not when driving.

When you have the top up, you won't have problem cranking up the sound :D
It is louder compare to the stock even with top is down. My experience, Bipes let me find the limit of my factory system :D When the Ipod volume is all the way up... seems like some of the singer is getting ready to jump out the car :surrender::D

If you google for Bipes Automotive Ipod, you will find the website & see how it works. It bypass the HU and use the exising Bose Amp.

Hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Recieved the Bipes adapter,
installed it this morning
the hardest part was getting the radio out
plug and play
sounds great crystal clear audio
and very loud..... much louder than the cd player