Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
02 SLK32AMG/99 E320
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my wife took her E-320 in for an oil change. To her surprise the dealer gave her a 2002 SLK 32 to drive. We had been talking about replacing my 98 Riviera. To my surprise she called me and said that I should contact the dealer ask what he wanted for the car. Of course I did and we ended up buying the car. Incredible! I didn't have to use one ounce of "Husband Capital". It was her idea. BY the way, when we bought the E-320 it was also a loaner. Anyway I love the car. I have one problem. The panel that covers the ashtray is broken. I could just super glue it on, I suppose, but then I would lose the coin holder that it covers. I was told the panel was not sold seperately and that I would have to buy a whole new ash tray for $800. Is this right? Does anyone know where I can get just the panel and possibly the pin that connects it. I know some parts are expensive but this seems crazy. I bought the "Baby Smart" seat for my seven year old daughter and that was $300, but $800 for and ash tray sounds like a Pentagon contract. Anyway I LOVE this car. I've had a Porsche 944, BMW 740 and a Corvette, but nothing has given me the thrill of my SLK.

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
Stealer is correct, you need to purchase the entire setup. You could try ebay or a pick n pull/wreck kinda place.

Glad your enjoyin your new slk

·
Registered
190E 2.3 & SLK230K
403 Posts
congrats!

you must have a really cool wife! [:D]

·
Registered
2002 SLK320 Sport
30 Posts
Cmungo,
Where did you get the BabySmart seat for $300? I want to get one for my 6 going on 7 year old daughter as well but my dealer quoted $780 for a new one. That's a little too much IMO.

·
Registered
02 SLK32AMG/99 E320
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it from Snyder's Motor company in Spartanburg SC. Their toll free # is 888-950-2500. It's a small company that specializes in used European imports, mostly Mercedes. If you call ask for Rickey. He's one of the owners. They told me that the infant seat was about $800, but the seat for the bigger kids is $300. It doesn't look like it would be that expensive. I suppose the most expensive part is the sensor, or whatever, that turns off the airbag.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I was given a quote for like $100 over here...

·
Registered
02 SLK32AMG/99 E320
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks 430. I assume wttc means welcome to the club.
It took me about half an hour to figure that one out. I've never posted in forums before. As far as the cars, John boy, that may have as much to do with me as it does the cars. I had wanted a Vette ever since I was seven. I got it when I was thirty years old. I loved it. I'm sure they have changed alot since then. It had tremendous acceleration, great handling and a removable hard top that had to be removed manually and stored in the trunk. It was a fun car. I just felt as though it didn't age as well as I would have liked. After that I got the 944. I enjoyed it for about three days. I suppose it handled well at high speeds. It just took so long to get there. The only reason anyone would have bought it must have been the Porsche name. This wasn't a turbo. It was quite boring. Now I'm almost fifty. I've tried to stay away from sports cars for years. I haven't read any car mags since the early 90s. I just wanted to be a mature adult. I'm a husband and dad. I never looked at sports cars in the showrooms because I didn't want to be tempted. Then the SLK came along. It just swept me off my feet. I suppose I thought it would drive like a Miata. Nothing against the Miata, it handled well but there wasn't much muscle. At least the last time I drove one. I figured the SLK was for people who wanted an SL but couldn't afford it. I was wrong. It's not a wannabe, IMO. I loved the power and handling. I'm sure many of the sports cars perform better now than in the 80s or 90s but I haven't driven them. It's so responsive and it feels like it's on rails. Raher than feeling light and wobbly, at higher speeds, the SLK seems to scrunch down a little bit. Plus you have to love that top. It's like a "Transformer". I don't know what other people's experiences are with Mercedes but mine have been great. My wife has always driven pre-owned Mercedes and they seem to wear realy well. We bought her E-320 with 99,000 miles on it and I never had a second thought. Plus the guys we buy from are great and I know they are straight shooters. I know this is a long post but I haven't talked about cars in a very long time. By the way my last car was a Buick Riviera with a superchaged 3.8. I thought it would be a nice compromise. It was a boring compromise. So as for 430 and everyone else I am damn glad to be "in the club"!

·
Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG, 2006 CLS55 AMG
109 Posts
Cmungo, welcome to the club. Like you, I'm in my 50's too. I just bought a 2002 SLK32 myself, and I'm crazy about it too!

I get a kick out of everyone's reaction to this little 'rocket'. There are so many SLK's on the road that aren't 32's, that most people don't notice the AMG until after I pass them! The retractable top is great too. My last convertible was a 1995 Miata and I loved that car too. It reminded me of my 1966 MGB, but without the headaches of the B.

The 32 is so much more than the Miata. I'm glad I went ahead and bought it instead of the 320. I've never owned a Vette, but given the insurance rates of the Vette compared to the 32, it is easy to decide on the 32 over it. Yes, the vette may be faster and it turns younger women's heads, but the 32 attracts its share too. The 32 is easier to drive; the vette has so much hood and is so wide to boot. Plus, vettes attract John Law. It seems the cops don't notice the little 32 as much, I guess they don't think they are big enough to peak their interest.

So, enjoy it, and maybe I'll see ya down the road.

PS: Does your wife have an unmarried sister? [:D]
TJ [8D]

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
The panel that covers the ashtray is broken. I could just super glue it on, I suppose, but then I would lose the coin holder that it covers. I was told the panel was not sold seperately and that I would have to buy a whole new ash tray for $800. Is this right? Does anyone know where I can get just the panel and possibly the pin that connects it.
Try looking at Interior wood trim sets - if you want to change your trim - that's the best option. Or you can try to find a matching set.

·
Registered
99 slk 230 sport
144 Posts
I agree with Miked619, alot of less aware drivers have wrecked their SLK's and an ashtray shouldn't be too difficult of a find.

If anyone knows where I can get an infant Babysmart without the associated rape (pure extortion on M-B's part IMO) please let me know.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Hmm, thanks for the input cmungo[:D]
So often I hear from people that owned vettes that over time they rattled themselves right out it. I never knew that about the 944.
Some day I'd like to own a new vette, a c5 or c6 and be apart of the Bow Tie Club of America. I'm watching, studying the cars to see if they're going to be like they're brotherin and loosen up over time.

But for now, I'm going to be happy with what I got.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Hmm, thanks for the input cmungo[:D]
So often I hear from people that owned vettes that over time they rattled themselves right out it. I never knew that about the 944.
Some day I'd like to own a new vette, a c5 or c6 and be apart of the Bow Tie Club of America. I'm watching, studying the cars to see if they're going to be like they're brotherin and loosen up over time.

But for now, I'm going to be happy with what I got.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts