Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SL500
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the 2003 SL500,
I had some hi performance cars before but SL500 is the most comfortable car I've drove. PERIOD! I love it!
I drove today around 150MPH When ABC Service showed up on the display.
Later on same day my ABC pump started spewing fluid,
I read some ABC horror stories on this forum, I was wondering if I should keep the car or just get rid of it.
Since i Liked it so much, I am giving this a shot. I will try to fix it with my guru mechanic. I am hoping to get some custom made ABC braided hoses (since i heard that oem's are crap). I will try to keep you posted of my progress.(If anyone is interested)

If someone wants to give me a word of advice. Feel Free! Thank You for your Help!

First Post, First SL,

·
Registered
2003 SL500
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got my car back today,
ABC pump replaced, system flushed, and calibrated.
Car goes up and down like new...
1600$ USD total

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Glad to see you decided to keep it and fix it. The ABC system can be a pain in the Bank account but worth it for such a wonderful car:thumbsup:

·
Registered
SL500R 2005, E550 2010
4 Posts
Mine just went out. At least, according to MB stealer, the pump is leaking. $3K to replace. Welcome to Hawaii!!!

·
52,804 Posts
My ABC pump and front shocks have failed and bill is $10K. Can this solution work

SL500 Suspension Conversion
I have never tried the system but it looks OK. It would be best to ask for a copy of the instructions first so we can better advise you. I would like to know how they get around the ABC system and how do they close off the fluid connections?

The ABC pump will have to continue working as it is for power steering as well.

·
Registered
2003 SL500
199 Posts
On the conversion kit, just be sure to scour the forums to get advice on how the ride and handling is after the conversion.

When shops say they need to replace multiple ABC components, I get suspicious. Be sure they can adequately articulate what is wrong with each component and why it is causing the symptoms you seeing. I've seen posts where owners were told they need to replace pumps and/or struts when it may just be a dirty valve block.

Be sure to do your homework. I recommend starting with this article and coming back to this forum if you have more questions.

Mercedes-Benz ABC System Troubleshooting Guide

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
My ABC pump and front shocks have failed and bill is $10K. Can this solution work
Why??? front shocks are $520 each, and pump is $1100... so unless labor is $8000 at $1500 per hour...

You need to go somewhere else...

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
also, the kit posted is a cheap hack job, and is flat out dangerous...

correct kit will have a single (non tandem pump) sourced from SL350...

The kit is dangerous because it omits retrofitting sway bars...

complete and correct kit will cost north of $5000 alone, and labor is about twice as much as needed to fix your car...

in short, it is much cheaper, or safer, to fix your car...

·
Registered
380SL, Jag F-type
1,607 Posts
I agree with bayhas that forgoing sway bars while eliminating ABC is dangerous. The car will gain strong tendency to plow through corners, unless you are professional driver and know how to compensate you will have non-zero chance to wipe out taking an off ramp too fast.

As to costs - at this point conversion kits are still too expensive. But at least you will pay only once. With ABC, bills will keep coming, and coming, and coming...

·
52,804 Posts

complete and correct kit will cost north of $5000 alone, and labor is about twice as much as needed to fix your car...

Exactly what I was thinking, as I said he still needs power steering.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I guess I'm in the minority here, but my question is to the guys saying the conversion kit without a sway bar is a "hack job." Has ANY of you guys ridden in a car that's been converted without the sway bar? I mean a recent good quality kit? I don't know about any other kit that might be out there, but I've had the kit from American Air installed for a few thousand miles now, and my car rides better than it did before the conversion. Now it's important to point out that the kit is supposed to have some special trick springs made by Eibach that seem to do a good job making up for the lack of sway bar.

I guess maybe it's what's important to you that counts. If you're still a youngin and want to drive like you're still 16, maybe the sway bar kit is the way to go, but the overall ride will suffer from what I've been told. For the adult driver or maybe one with a bad back(like me) that requires a good ride, the American Air kit is the way to go.

In my opinion, even if the ride were close, not better, just close, the overall price would make it a better deal to begin with. You spend $2k on the kit up front, but then you get a check for $1,200 for the old struts later on. That leaves me $800 in it to make it not only drivable again, but have a BETTER ride.

My rant is over, sorry if I offended anyone. Just speaking from experience is all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts