Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500SL - 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow Edition
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a very happy new owner of a 2002 Silver arrow edition with 69,000. Haven't had it 24 hours yet and I'm already sorting out the PO's unfinished business.

Ran OBD and we have no codes, so I'm guessing the crank sensor is on its way out? Starts cold, runs and drives beautifully otherwise.

The shipper was kind enough to damage the front bumper (all original paint, shame), but at least it will get repaired on their dime. There were a few scratches and on small crack anyway.

Also, does this motor have an access on the valve cover. I'm seeing some seepage on the passenger side, but it doesn't look like the valve cover itself, rather something above it. I will investigate further once I take the engine cover off.

Of course, I had to take the hardtop off and make sure we didn't have any soft top tears or hydraulics issues. Thank goodness that all looks great.

Overall I'm pleased considering it was a cross country dealer wholesale transaction site unseen. The price was hard to believe, the dealer MMR and wholesale guides don't have silver arrow edition as an option. :D

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
Replace the CPS, That will most likely take care of your problem. This is a problem area anyway, Most of us have been through it already!!!! The only other thing would be the Mass Air Flow sensor!!! And when you have a chance, Please fill out your Profile completely. Thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car stalled during a very long light at a busy intersection. I was very pissed off, but got the bright idea to pour my bottled water on the crank sensor to cool it off.

Fired right up. :D Made it another 2 miles before another long light where it died again. This time I popped into a resturaunt right where I died at, got a cup of water, poured, and off I went again. :D

I guess I've narrowed it down.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
changed the crankshaft position sensor this morning and all is right in the world again. Warranty time said 30 minutes, and I had i swapped in under 15... Having long skinny fingers helped, as it has a lovely heat shield around it.

The thing sort of looks like a crack pipe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts