Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1980 450slc, 1980 280sl, 1992 300ce
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the half shaft hanging down and out of the way on the leaking side. Now, the drive won't pop out of the diff. I've pried on it, it's not coming out. BMW's drives just pop right out. So, with the flange there, I want to back out the bolts on the case ring thing but they'll hit the flange on the drive. I could back all of the bolts out evenly I guess. I really don't want to have to drop the differential. I just want to replace one side seal. The other one is moist but not that bad. This pass side one is leaking bad. If the drive would pop out, I could get at the eight bolts straight away and get to the seal. Possible or no? Thanks

·
Registered
1995 e320ce. 1993 230 TE. 1987 Kit car with 260e running gear.
632 Posts
You need to remove the diff and take off the back cover.
There is a circlip holding the flange in place on each side.
Best do both sides when it is out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, sir. I was afraid of that. I might as well put in the new center bearing, too. Rats... and the new rubber diff mounts.

·
Registered
1995 e320ce. 1993 230 TE. 1987 Kit car with 260e running gear.
632 Posts
Centre bearing seal you can do any time without removing the diff. If it is not leaking, don't fix it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right. I did that on the 280 sl. This 300ce has a slight vibration from the drive train when starting out. It goes away after a minute. But, if I'm in there, might as well. A job always seems to grow in size. The rubber mounted diff supports are gunked up with oil, so those are going to get changed out. The car would run perfectly if I could figure out why it hesitates and backfires through the intake when warm. If I start out slowly, it responds to the pedal fine. Has good acceleration when underway. If I jump on it from a standstill, it coughs. Doesn't do it when cold. Coughing through the intake usually means the mixture is too lean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts