Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting a lot of help with setting up my SEC to where I want it, both from Benzworld forum members and non-members who happen to be enthusiasts. I even had forum members forwarding me prospective SEC ad's back at the beginning of the year to replace my previous SEC that I had for 10 years before it was totaled in an accident.

Starting with a very nice 84 Lorinser euro SEC sure helped and then things just started working out where one opportunity after another has come along to do some upgrades. I did take every upgrade off my previous SEC that was totaled back in late December including springs, wheels, complete interior (near new wood included), miscellaneous mechanical parts and some suspension bits.

Over the past couple of months I have been the recipient of 48hp and Mapearso's work in getting downpipes made for some tri-y's I installed, then had Speedway Muffler in Rancho Cucamonga weld on a Remus box that I had. Sounds pretty good plus the added horsepower can't hurt.

Next thing was when Jonwhite and 48hp came across a Gen I Lorinser front spoiler that they promptly got to me. That was the only body piece that was lacking from the original package. I have spent the last month re-glassing and refurbishing it in my spare time, then mounting it and prepping for paint. I have been out the last couple of days getting estimates from paint shops in LA to finish it off. Should be like new once I find a painter for it. Anyone know of a good shop for bumper painting in the greater southern California area?

Then Ohiohammer picked up that beautiful AMG a while back and graciously sent me the wheels and tires that had been on his car which he has replaced with 3 piece OZ AMG wheels on his SEL. Super guy to deal with! These weren't just any wheels he sold me, but probably the rarest BBS 17 inch 3 piece wheels out there. RSK BBS for Lorinser 17 x 8 1/2 et 13's! Again, thanks for all you did getting these to me Ohiohammer.

The wheel s came with Mercedes centers but I wanted to replace those with the original BBS Lorinser caps which are nearly extinct from what I found out. Just so happens that Mapearso had just gone through a similar search for a part for his new wheels and passed on a source to me where I actually found the shop had them on hand! The guy who runs the shop, BMW E30 E34 Parts For Sale
had a small set back getting the caps to me right away but to my amazement he showed up at my house this afternoon to hand deliver them! 45 mile drive each way...talk about going above and beyond! If you need anything for BBS wheels, give him a yell. He imports a bunch of rare stuff for BMW and some Mercedes from Japan.

Since this is starting to look like an awards acceptance at the Grammys, I will just go to pictures. (Crappy pictures due to the sun, but best I can do). Again, this is why I enjoy Benzworld...all the help getting parts, advice and knowledge, and making good friends with the same interests. My goal for the car is to take it up to Pebble Beach next year and put it in the corral.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tuetone has a rear glass for me, so I will finish the dip job when the window is replaced. The dipped front grill is nearly finished now.

The wheels will be refinished by the company mentioned above which is down in Orange County. Black centers, chrome wheel bolts and polished lips (wider in back) is the plan!

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 w126 420SEL, 1986 w126 Euro 560SEC (option 822), 2000 E55, 2003 E55, 2003 SL55
512 Posts
Great looking car. Nice work and as always this forum amazes me with all their help. I know they are helping me source some very hard to come by parts as well for my gen II ECE SEC. Wheels and headlight wipers to name a few. Both I thought would be easy. :rolleyes:
By the way, What wheels came with the car??

·
R.I.P. Never Forgotten
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
LOVE IT!! :thumbsup:

What's next...solid lifters? I know just the fellow who can hook you up... ;)

BTW, is that a XLR or CTS next to it in the garage?

·
Registered
1988 560SEC Euro Clone Lorinser Clone
1,572 Posts
the car looks great ... and will only look better when the last couple of pieces come together!!

glad to be able to contribute in some small way.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great looking car. Nice work and as always this forum amazes me with all their help. I know they are helping me source some very hard to come by parts as well for my gen II ECE SEC. Wheels and headlight wipers to name a few. Both I thought would be easy. :rolleyes:
By the way, What wheels came with the car??
Thanks! The car came with Lorinser's although I am not sure what type. The guy I bought the car from had removed the wheels and traded them in for some chrome 19 inch wheels as well as removing the original springs. I took the Lorinser rs90 17x8 and 17x8 1/2 et22 off the totaled SEC and moved them and my lowering springs onto this car. The rs90's will be up for sale after I clean them up and get a good polish back on them.

Pictures of the previous wheels and some of the work that went into the spoiler rehab.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOVE IT!! :thumbsup:

What's next...solid lifters? I know just the fellow who can hook you up... ;)

BTW, is that a XLR or CTS next to it in the garage?
Thanks bondavi! Gonna keep the engine stock for now. It is in such good shape and with the transmission just rebuilt 1200 miles ago I have a pretty good driver right now. Just making her purdy.

Good eye on the other car. It's a CTS Premium. Just shits and giggles to drive! Slapstick 6 speed auto/manual, 304 horsepower 6, sport suspension/transmission and every gadget on it that is legal. I measured the clearance on the CTS spoiler...5 inches. SEC has 7 inches of clearance. Go figure. I looked at the Recaro seat package, but honestly they were a literal pain in the butt.

Attachments

·
R.I.P. Never Forgotten
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
Getting an used 3 year old certified preowned 556hp CTS-V is in my wet dreams for the next DD, next to a W211 E55. Since American cars are going to sh*t, why not grab the best ever produced American modern sports sedan while at it. Even the Nurburgring guys like it.....some.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the car looks great ... and will only look better when the last couple of pieces come together!!

glad to be able to contribute in some small way.
I would still be searching for those caps if you hadn't given me that guys name. He is actually loosely tied to Benzworld and is a member although he has BMW in his veins. He is good friends with 560truck, the guys that had been doing some AMG mods as well as selling Mclare his sedan and all his AMG/126 parts.

A regular at Car's and Coffee in Irvine where I hope to meet up with both of them next month. He does incredible refurbishments on BBS 3 piece wheels and is very reasonable. Also has some spare RSK center's if you are interested in spares (the center bolted between the lip and inner barrel in 16's).

Thanks again Mark!

·
Registered
1991 w126 420SEL, 1986 w126 Euro 560SEC (option 822), 2000 E55, 2003 E55, 2003 SL55
512 Posts
nice on the cts. got rid of mine shortly ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,057 Posts
I would still be searching for those caps if you hadn't given me that guys name. He is actually loosely tied to Benzworld and is a member although he has BMW in his veins. He is good friends with 560truck, the guys that had been doing some AMG mods as well as selling Mclare his sedan and all his AMG/126 parts.

A regular at Car's and Coffee in Irvine where I hope to meet up with both of them next month. He does incredible refurbishments on BBS 3 piece wheels and is very reasonable. Also has some spare RSK center's if you are interested in spares (the center bolted between the lip and inner barrel in 16's).

Thanks again Mark!
Greg,

Congrates on the finishing touches. It looks fabulous and will be even more of a head turner after paint! Let me know when you go to CNC Irvine and I will meet you there. And thanks again for the downpipe photo's :beerchugr:

Mike

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
803 Posts
Beautiful car all around, though if you stripped the clear coat off the wheel lips and gave em a high polish, then tucked the muffler better, id give it a 10 out of 10.

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,939 Posts
Outstanding, Greg. Another nice W126 that will be around for a long time for the rest of the driving world to enjoy.

Great work to all who contributed. Contacts and sharing knowledge and parts are what makes this forum such fun.

Al

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,669 Posts
Its gorgeous! And a bit different too. Well done. :)

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
45,175 Posts
Thanks! The car came with Lorinser's although I am not sure what type. The guy I bought the car from had removed the wheels and traded them in for some chrome 19 inch wheels as well as removing the original springs. I took the Lorinser rs90 17x8 and 17x8 1/2 et22 off the totaled SEC and moved them and my lowering springs onto this car. The rs90's will be up for sale after I clean them up and get a good polish back on them.

Pictures of the previous wheels and some of the work that went into the spoiler rehab.
FYI David aka ElRojo is really looking for a set of 17" wheels.
Car looks great.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Beautiful car all around, though if you stripped the clear coat off the wheel lips and gave em a high polish, then tucked the muffler better, id give it a 10 out of 10.
High praise coming from you...thanks! Both of your points are being addressed. To tell you the truth I am about ready to have the Remus cut off the car and go back to a magnaflow. We had the box mounted exactly even with the bumper lip line and tucked with 1/2 inch from the bottom of the lip and welded on some RV straps to the box and body as well as a permanent metal strap further up the pipe. The damn thing is so heavy and bulky that it not only showed the muffler too much when properly installed, but it actually dropped 1 inch since installing a couple months ago. Not much difference in tone from the 2 mufflers, so might as well go to the light and sleek magnaflow and put some Lorinser tips on it. Will look much better and sound nearly the same. 46 lbs vs 12 lbs with nearly the same horsepower appears to be a no-brainer.

Going to start sanding down the clear coat on the lips this week while the bumper is in the shop. I am afraid I will get too aggressive with the grit...any recommendations on the starting grit? Wheel whores has been a great help in getting an idea of what needs to be done. Love that site!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Roland, I am out a little further in Rancho Cucamonga. Haven't driven this car much in Chino Hills but pass by on the 60, 10 and 91 often in it.

Thanks for the good vibes guys, it really is starting to come together. Mike, I will let you in advance when I take a run over to Cars and Coffee. Will be good to see you and the SEC again. Tuetone, I believe another member may be picking the rs90's up off of me. Will be speaking with him in a bit about it. Those rims sure served their purpose for me.

420 SE, we really need to have you come out for another visit and see it for yourself. You didn't get to see hardly anything on your last visit.

Thanks Ian. Sometimes different is better. My SEC will soon have a bigger sister here in Southern California. Should be the only 2 like it in our parts. Look for his build soon out of LA.

Alydon, looking forward to seeing a write up on your wonderful SEL soon in one of the enthusiast magazines. Sharp car!

I will get more pictures up after the paint goes on.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts