Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
C230
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a new set of shocks and struts. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I'm an aggressive driver but drive a lot so smooth on the highway is important. I dont know much about this so anything helps. Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got the shocks done on my C180 recently - would heartily recommend Bilstein Heavy duty shocks - great ride quality

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes Benz C280
16 Posts
I have a 99 C280 Sport. The ride is so jumpy and stiff. I would like to switch to a softer ride. Any suggestions and would the above shocks work well?

·
Registered
13 GLK350, 03 c320 wagon, 90 560sec
809 Posts
Bilsteins generally have very stiff compression damping. I've used them on several cars and never been wild about the ride quality. I find they make the car too sensitive to small bumps. On medium to large bumps, they do well.

Koni's, however, with their adjustable damping, can give a near-stock ride, to track-ready just by turning the knobs. When I replace the shocks on mine, you can bet it will be Koni. I'd love to get the new FSD's, but they don't appear to be available for the w202 yet.

Bilsteins have a slightly better reliability record, but both are good.

·
Registered
1999 C 280 Sport
109 Posts
jjcarr said:
Bilsteins generally have very stiff compression damping. I've used them on several cars and never been wild about the ride quality. I find they make the car too sensitive to small bumps. On medium to large bumps, they do well.

Koni's, however, with their adjustable damping, can give a near-stock ride, to track-ready just by turning the knobs. When I replace the shocks on mine, you can bet it will be Koni. I'd love to get the new FSD's, but they don't appear to be available for the w202 yet.

Bilsteins have a slightly better reliability record, but both are good.
The ride on mine was horrible after I replaced just the shocks with Bilstein HD's and it wasn't until I dropped it with the Eibach Prokits that the ride smoothed out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts