Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Vito Dualiner 2005
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am after swivel bases for the front seats, been told they might be available at local dealer?

Also interested in a rock n roll bed or making my own conversion. Nothing too serious, just somewhere to sleep and store stuff for weekends away

has anyone converted their new shape vitos for something similar???

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Vito 111CDi 2004
1,109 Posts
See my blog -> here. Official swivels are from jerba campervans but I have found some fasp swivels will also fit which I am getting delivered but I don't know exactly which original vans they are for.

Also self builders website is a pretty useful source of info.

Adam.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See my blog -> here. Official swivels are from jerba campervans but I have found some fasp swivels will also fit which I am getting delivered but I don't know exactly which original vans they are for.

Also self builders website is a pretty useful source of info.

Adam.
cheers mate

where do you buy all your bits from?

·
Registered
Vito 111CDi 2004
1,109 Posts
Campervan bits.

Getting the swivels from this guy (ebay item: 160328534390) and he has a few swivels available. I will have a look at them once I get them and let you know how much fettling is needed to make them fit - If they are okay then that's a bonus as I have been quoted £160 per swivel for official Vito Mk2 ones. Will probably be able to let you know this weekend if I can make them fit.

The cheapest I have found for lining carpet, headling, vinyl and glue is from megavanmats.com - much cheaper than rainbow conversions or others.

The cheapest I have found for undervan gas tanks is from autogas 2000 ltd (here) but most just use a normal bottle.

For general bits and bobs, caktanks (yes really!) do some good stuff - their smev cookers are cheaper than others.

The propex heater (I have one already but selling it with the van as a camper as I reckon I will get more money selling it as a camper) will be from rainbow conversions (here) but there's also a guy selling the eberspacer heater (which retails new for about £800) for £395 (ebay here).

You can get a rock and roll seat frame from ebay for about £200 or so.

I am putting in recessed warm white LED lighting which I got from Aten Lighting (ebay shop here). I am going for warm white as the normal LED white is a bit harsh for me. Ultraleds.co.uk also do them but they don't look as nice. Aten have brushed aluminum and chrome so you don't have to go for the brass look.

The walls and roof are being lined with kingspan, stuck in with spray adhesive and urethane expanding foam got from B&Queue.

The front seats I got from Neo Brothers. The Saab seats are pretty much exactly the same pitch as the vito ones so there's not much work making them fit. £125 for a pair of leather seats - not bad!

The kitchen units are going to be made with laminated ply and the cheapest place I have found for this is magnum motor homes (yes, it's still £60/sheet!) here.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Adam.

P.S. Not done much on the van as I have been in the USA on a holiday.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting the swivels from this guy (ebay item: 160328534390) and he has a few swivels available. I will have a look at them once I get them and let you know how much fettling is needed to make them fit - If they are okay then that's a bonus as I have been quoted £160 per swivel for official Vito Mk2 ones. Will probably be able to let you know this weekend if I can make them fit.

The cheapest I have found for lining carpet, headling, vinyl and glue is from megavanmats.com - much cheaper than rainbow conversions or others.

The cheapest I have found for undervan gas tanks is from autogas 2000 ltd (here) but most just use a normal bottle.

For general bits and bobs, caktanks (yes really!) do some good stuff - their smev cookers are cheaper than others.

The propex heater (I have one already but selling it with the van as a camper as I reckon I will get more money selling it as a camper) will be from rainbow conversions (here) but there's also a guy selling the eberspacer heater (which retails new for about £800) for £395 (ebay here).

You can get a rock and roll seat frame from ebay for about £200 or so.

I am putting in recessed warm white LED lighting which I got from Aten Lighting (ebay shop here). I am going for warm white as the normal LED white is a bit harsh for me. Ultraleds.co.uk also do them but they don't look as nice. Aten have brushed aluminum and chrome so you don't have to go for the brass look.

The walls and roof are being lined with kingspan, stuck in with spray adhesive and urethane expanding foam got from B&Queue.

The front seats I got from Neo Brothers. The Saab seats are pretty much exactly the same pitch as the vito ones so there's not much work making them fit. £125 for a pair of leather seats - not bad!

The kitchen units are going to be made with laminated ply and the cheapest place I have found for this is magnum motor homes (yes, it's still £60/sheet!) here.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Adam.

P.S. Not done much on the van as I have been in the USA on a holiday.
Awesome, a great help. Thanks!

·
Registered
Vito 111CDi 2004
1,109 Posts
If you need any more info then just get in touch. I found some of the variations in prices to be amazing, like some people asking 700 quid for the same heater that others are asking 430 quid for. Those that are cheaper for one thing are often not the cheapest for all things so it pays to shop around.. and f**k have I done some shopping around!

Ad.

·
Registered
110 CDi 03 Silver
30 Posts
Damnit!! I wish I'd read this thread yesterday... :banghead: Just ordered my cooker/sink unit from Magnums and its 20quid cheaper from Caktanks..(?) Maybe they should go for a more customer/search engine friendly name.. ? :thumbsup:

Rich

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
going to try and build my own rock n roll bed... and if I am pleased will make a few to sell. My mate is a pukka welder so going to give it a go... watch this space :D

·
Registered
Vito 111CDi 2004
1,109 Posts
Damnit!! I wish I'd read this thread yesterday... :banghead: Just ordered my cooker/sink unit from Magnums and its 20quid cheaper from Caktanks..(?) Maybe they should go for a more customer/search engine friendly name.. ? :thumbsup:

Rich
What did you go for in the end? I quite like the look of the 9222 series though at 200 quid it's quite expensive (then again as you probably have found out, nothing for van conversions is cheap :( )

going to try and build my own rock n roll bed... and if I am pleased will make a few to sell. My mate is a pukka welder so going to give it a go... watch this space :D
Don't you mean. 'My mate's a pukka welder so I am going to make him make me a bed? ;):D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What did you go for in the end? I quite like the look of the 9222 series though at 200 quid it's quite expensive (then again as you probably have found out, nothing for van conversions is cheap :( )

Don't you mean. 'My mate's a pukka welder so I am going to make him make me a bed? ;):D
well I need to design it so prob do most of the work myself while he will weld the awkward bits. lol

·
Registered
110 CDi 03 Silver
30 Posts
Hi Adam

I went for the 8302 unit in the end as it has two burners (which the regs dictate to be classed as a camper van) I was origonally going to go for the 8821L and had made the cabinet already, but fortunately the replacement fitted, just.. (Phew!). I have just noticed that the Caktanks units need the taps and drainers ordered as extras, where the Magnum unit was complete, so in in the end they prob cost about the same.. :) My local caravan place is going to make me up some fittings for the gas supply and I'll get the water hook ups at the same time. The project is nearly complete, so i'll post some more pics soon :thumbsup:

Rich

·
Registered
110 CDi 03 Silver
30 Posts
S2VTO

I thought about getting my own bed welded up, but when you look at a commercial unit you realise that it is a lot more complicated than a straight ladder frame, as it has to work in the upright and folded position, all the cushions have to fit perfectly, and you have to get those made up as well. :eek:

There's some clever bracketry welded on mine that give it extra support in all the right places :) If you are going to go that route, then you would be best getting as many dimensions as you can off a made up unit or get a basic frame like mine and using that as a base for the customisation. :cool:

Rich

·
Registered
Vito 111CDi 2004
1,109 Posts
Looking forward to the pix. I am way behind.. well actually I am not going too bad as I have had 2 weeks on me holidays.

What you doing as a fridge?

·
Registered
110 CDi 03 Silver
30 Posts
Hi Adam

I'm not going for a fridge as I'm planning on using it as a day van for weekend kitesurf trips. I'll probably just get one of those 12volt cooler boxes from CPC or somewhere, plus i am a bit short on useable space... Got some pics to upload from today...

All I have left to do is to fit the cupboard catches, hook up the gas and drill the gas drop out hole, which is something I am not looking forward too... Do you have any ideas as to what the minimum size should be?

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
Vito 111CDi 2004
1,109 Posts
From the sbmcc website (here).

EN1949 standard and hence what I did for my gas box. Anything in inverted commas is copied directly from the standard. The relevant bit that you asked about is underlined.

If your gas box can be accessed from inside the van, then these specific requirements apply (section 5.2 & 5.5):
1. The bottom edge of the attached sealed door or hatch shall be at least 50mm above the gas box floor.
2. 'Only one cylinder may be installed with a max capacity of 7kg.'
3. 'The drop out duct shall have a minimum internal diameter of 20mm.' (Elsewhere in the standard, 'If ventilation is provided only at low level, the free area shall be at least 2% of the compartment floor area with a minimum of 10,000mm2.' With 2% as a guide I used 2" diameter plastic piping as my drop out duct. Increasing the drop out area for the gas to 10,000mm2 allows the gas box to contain 2 bottles of gas up to 16kg each.)
4. 'The length of the drop out duct shall not exceed 5x the internal diameter of the duct.' (but may be up to 10x in order to avoid 'underfloor flue outlets').
5. 'The duct shall be positioned at low level in the floor and be resistant to LPG.'
6. 'The duct shall fall throughout its entire length to the outside of the vehicle.'

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
looking good!

Mine is kind of on hold as I am starting to convert an old building into my new living quarters!

going to build a quick wooden frame to make a temporary bed and storage underneath.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts