Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I am little confused by the part numbers for the driveshaft:

Mine has a sticker - 2204102006
EPC suggests 2204108106 as a replacement.
I saw on ebay another driveshaft from 2004 S430 with a part # 2204108706

What part number I should be looking for? Are all S500 and S430 in the W220 body share same driveshaft?
Ebay drive shaft appears to be a typo, should be 2204108106. See attached EPC printout for part number supercession. Searching EPC did not have a hit on the 8706 number.

As to the flex disc's, I would not change them if they are not cracked. Others may disagree and say WYAT(while you are there), I have thrown away too many good parts using the WYAT Philosophy. Most likely,if you enjoy driving an MB from your experience with this one then you will be hooked and be trading up frequently as we all have!

Good luck,

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
I can't say for sure but mine stripped the spline in the torque converter The first motion bearing in the trans azperentlly failed a long time before ,this allowed the splined shaft to work around causing wear that finally wore the splines to slip. Trans was fine after replacing the shaft and bearing from a parts yard used ,but the trans removal cost 2 grand.

FOG

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I have called the yard and they gave me the VIN to both shafts that they have. Part # is exact match to mine. At first I thought that I should just replace the driveshaft and deal with transmission later.

Thank you guys for pointing to me that driveshaft does not fail by itself or because of bad center support. So yes, I am picking up tranny and driveshaft tomorrow and hope that rear differential is still ok.

Flex disks look ok to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I have not driven this car at all, so I do not know yet how it drives :) I have an ML320 in the family, but that is a totally different animal :) It is possible that transmission is still ok (or most part of it). I do not want to take a chance on it. So yes, I am replacing transmission and driveshaft.

Same yard has a rear differential for $50. Should I grab it? There is still a slight chance that current differential is shot.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I have not driven this car at all, so I do not know yet how it drives :) I have an ML320 in the family, but that is a totally different animal :) It is possible that transmission is still ok (or most part of it). I do not want to take a chance on it. So yes, I am replacing transmission and driveshaft.

Same yard has a rear differential for $50. Should I grab it? There is still a slight chance that current differential is shot.
I would just wait on the diff for now. Change the fluid and see how it behaves with your new trans/driveshaft setup. Not a huge job to change it out later if it is bad. Here is my writeup when i changed out mine.

Good luck,

Bob

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yeah, I have talked to a friend of mine and he suggested the same. Not to worry about the diff right now. This was supposed to be a slow project, but for some reason I so want to have it up and running :))

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
I would buy this diff now from the same junk car , since the parts are all matched from the same donor car . Their balance and integration should be perfectly mated . I would have the wrecking yard put Marks where each part is lined up before removing them so they can be reinstalled in the same position .

You don't have to install the diff now but for $50 it makes sense to have it handy

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Transmission is our from the car. The only thing that I broke - silumin connector from shifter to transmission. :(

Got a call from a friend of mine that I have shared picture of my twisted driveshaft and he insists that the issue is with the rear differential, and not the transmission.

Final decision for today: I am replacing transmission, driveshaft and differential. I do not want to twist another driveshaft if the differential is a toast.

By the way - all parts are from different cars. I hope that they will work.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
With the driveshaft removed, you can do a quick check by simply turning the differential input (both rear wheels off the ground, parking brake released). It should rotate smoothly and silently. When my differential shredded, the noise was horrible, and rotation problems were very obvious.

·
W220 Moderator
5,658 Posts
Got a call from a friend of mine that I have shared picture of my twisted driveshaft and he insists that the issue is with the rear differential, and not the transmission.
Hi,

There is no way on this earth that the engine and trans would transmit enough torque to twist a prop shaft if the rear diff had seized :wink

Rear diff seizing at speed would damage shafts to rear wheels :wink

Also, if diff were seized, you would not be able to move the car around easily, winch it onto trailer etc without the rear wheels skidding :rolleyes:

I agree, buy the diff, keep it until you have driven the car and are satisfied that the diff is ok..........

If diff is ok then keep as spare or sell on :wink

Not worth creating extra work at this stage, my money is still on Tranny locked up at speed and twisted & broke that shaft :wink

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Good news: I drove the car for about 30 miles today.
Bad news: I have a transmission oil leak from oil cooling line connection. Somehow I have overlooked the note to replace oil cooling line connection aluminum seals every time the line is disconnected.

I have replaced the transmission and driveshaft. I am about 99% sure that I could have replace just the driveshaft and be ok. I am leaving 1% to the chance of the bad transmission. Replacement transmission have some metal particles in the pan. I have cleaned it all and replaced the filter, gasket and white TCM connector. I decided to replace main seal as well. It was not too hard, I did not even drain the oil from the engine.

I raised the car on the back and tested the differential. It seems that it works good and does not have any issues.

I will try to write-up the transmission replacement procedure withing next few days, while the memories are fresh.

Will call MB dealership tomorrow and check if they have seals in stock. If yes - I will be one step closer to having a nice ride.

·
W220 Moderator
5,658 Posts
Hi,

That's great news, you didn't hang about getting that lot done, I know at our Trans Shop we can swap a Tranny in under 2 hrs, my PB is 55 minutes :grin
But for DIY, and the extra work you have done, your timescale is very good going :wink

What colour was the metal swarf in the pan ?? Bronze / Gold, Silver Steel or Silver Aluminium ??

If you have a Tranny shop nearer than MB and you call in and ask them, they will probably have a load of those seals as they are usually in the 722.6 Rebuild Seal kits, and don't always get used depending what type of connections the particular car has :wink

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Yeah I believe that it could be done way faster. But shop does not use car jack and wood pieces to raise the transmission into place laying on your back under the car :)) With a proper car lift the job is much faster/easier.

The metal particles in the pan are silver once I have removed them from oil. Attached are few pics of them.

I do not know any transmission shops around and MB dealer is just off freeway on my way home. I will call them first to see what is their price and if they have seals in stock.

Attachments

·
W220 Moderator
5,658 Posts
Hi,

That swarf is a slight fly in the soup, it means something in the trans is breaking up :frown

However, if it's driving OK, leave well alone, I have seen them go on for many more miles like that :wink

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
Well that's awesome news your car is up and running!

And if the only issue was the druveshaft , now you have a spare transmission if you need it !

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Well, thank you all for all your advises and support. The saga of restoring the car to it's glory continues :)

I had an oil leak from one of the oil cooler lines. I started replacing the seal on one of them and - shame on me - it was not tight!!!!! I have replaced the seal and made sure it is tight this time :) Had the car run for 20 minutes and no oil leak from the area. Will monitor it over next few days.

List of my to-do things:
1a) drive car to have all emission monitors to set to Ready mode. Any tricks for that?
1) Configure my Dell 6420 laptop to work with the Star c3 multiplexor that I got from AliExpress
2) Disable annoying SOS / TeleAid malfunction message
3) Fix the burnt-out blinker on passenger side mirror
4) Purchase replacement set of mechanical locks with key, as I am missing the original mechanical key
5) Purchase floor mats
6) Order a spare key. How much approximately MB charges for a regular key? How much for a wallet-type key?
7) Replace one of the tires on the rear axle if I find same as a good one - otherwise will have to get 2 new tires
8) Replace ball-joint on front-passenger side
9) Balance and align wheels
10) Fix saggy visors or replace them.

Pretty extensive list for a car that I had for little over a week :)

To Dave: I really hope that that transmission lives for few years, so I do not need to replace it any time soon :) I will definitely drain ATF from my old transmission and check it's condition. It's hard to tell if it is driving well, as I am still working on getting correct ATF fluid level. On cold engine yesterday it was above the 25C line, will check it at 80C today and make sure that it is at least at the lower level of 80C. Any tips

To Tusabes: Looks like I have a spare transmission and a spare rear differential now :))

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
"1) Configure my Dell 6420 laptop to work with the Star c3 multiplexor that I got from AliExpress"

Be ready for a long, frustrating learning process. Be patient, do a lot of reading, do a lot of cautious trial and error.

"4) Purchase replacement set of mechanical locks with key, as I am missing the original mechanical key"

You might want to check with a couple of dealers first, to see if you can buy a new mechanical key.

"9) Balance and align wheels"

Finish all suspension work first, of course. Make certain that the first step in the alignment is to set the ride height on all four corners.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Well, gentleman. Here is my write-up of the transmission replacement procedure with all related WIS documents. Please comment if any changes needs to be made to the write-up.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 105 Posts