Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Yeah, I'd do another fluid change in a short bit. Just to make sure any gunk is out of there, and since you don't yet know the history of this "new" transmission. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
That looks pretty doggone sturdy. That car doesn't look like it's going to slide around anywhere!

·
W220 Moderator
5,658 Posts
Hi,

Remember, once the Prop Shaft is disconnected the Park Pawl will not be holding the car from rolling, make sure you're happy that the Parking Brake is in good order and well applied :wink

Forget surface rust on the Converter, that one is quite tidy compared to a lot I see :wink

One final thing, that Tranny is labelled CLK, if I were you I'd EPC check that the part numbers of the internal Planetary Gear Sets are the same as for S Class.........

There are several ratio variations for 722.6, and if they are not an exact match the TCU will put the car in limp mode as soon as it shifts gears, due to Input / Output speeds not meeting the target values :wink

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi, Dave
Thank you for the input.

Car is affixed to a cement-filled pipe by the front tow eye, so even if park brake does not hold it (I have checked and it is working ok) the tie strap will hold it.

It's good that I do not need to anything about the rust.

I have checked pictures from both transmissions - junkyard and mine. They both match. I wish I know how to use EPC better to search for planetary gears. Will have to work on that skill.

"Dirty" picture is my tranny, clean with blue markings - replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have made little progress last night. I have removed the shield cover for the connector and found some transmission fluid inside connector. Drained black and nasty old atf. Removed the brace that holds exhaust system to transmission.

In the WIS manual it suggests removing whole exhaust system. I have looked and I did not find any place it interferes with the transmission. I might remove oxygen sensor for better clearance. Taking some pictures to help me assemble it all back properly :)

I have also ordered the EasyDiag scanner to deal with any errors that might pop up. I will place an order for a C3 multiplexer on AliExpress but it will probably take about a month to arrive.

Have anyone ordered transmission filter, gasket, and connector from amazon?

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Not from Amazon, but I have done so from FCPEuro.

Those C3 multiplexers work pretty well. Be sure to also get the software, usually on a hard disk drive with everything preinstalled. You'll need a laptop--Dell D830's are my favourite--and you'll be off to the races.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have called my local dealership and they have all the parts in stock: pan gasket - $17, filter - $15.50, drain seal ring - $2, white connector - $16. Total of $50.5+tax
I am not sure all the parts will arrive on time, so I'll just get all parts from dealer.

Should I also replace rear main seal on the engine, while I am there?

As for SDS software, I already have hdd image :) will try to put on the laptop that I already have.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Replacing rear main seal is an excellent idea since you're there, (MB mission creep!). I worked at an International (Navistar) Dealership and when ever a transmission came out for any reason, a new rear main seal was installed no exceptions. As I recall, cost of the seal alone was about $90 but the book time to R&I the trans was 3.5 to 5 hours depending on the type of trans. I've printed out the WIS instructions for you and are attached. You said you already have the trans WIS instructions. If you are investing in an SDS setup then you will get the EPC/WIS ASRA as part of the package. I couldn't afford to own my MB's without the WIS/EPC. I have both SDS and stand alone setups.

Good luck, take pictures to document your project and keep the thread going!

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well gentleman, I made a huge mistake!

I believed to the words and diagnosis of the seller that the car I am getting has issue with transmission. Apparently I have another issue to take care of prior to dealing with transmission. And here it is!!!!!

Failed driveshaft support that lead to twisted driveshaft. Will have to replace the driveshaft and then deal with the transmission (if I have to)

Attachments

·
W220 Moderator
5,658 Posts
Hi,

WTF ???

I've seen Prop Shafts like that about twice in my lifetime in the Transmission Industry :eek

That looks to me like someone has slammed the car into "Park" or the Trans has locked up at a high road speed :frown

If I were you, and since you already have one, I'd replace that Trans anyway, you said the old fluid was black, so that is evidence it has worn clutches and got hot at some point :wink

Those numbers are a match, so gear sets should be fine :wink

Back off to the breakers for a prop then .......... :wink

BTW, I never drop the down pipes or exhaust when just doing trans, but you will have to drop the rear half exhaust to do the complete prop :wink

Cheers Dave

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,916 Posts
That looks like too many reverse - drive burnout attempts to me. A mate of mine years ago used to do them in a six cylinder POS till he blew the transmission to pieces.

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
Just find a good donor car on Craigslist and get all the parts from the engine all the way back to the rear end

Or just get rid of the car . Looks like the exhaust is damaged or disconnected too . You'll never pass smog in California

How much did you pay for this car ?

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Well gentleman, I made a huge mistake!

I believed to the words and diagnosis of the seller that the car I am getting has issue with transmission. Apparently I have another issue to take care of prior to dealing with transmission. And here it is!!!!!

Failed driveshaft support that lead to twisted driveshaft. Will have to replace the driveshaft and then deal with the transmission (if I have to)
Mission creep!!! Drive Shaft, center support and flex disks. Hope you can find a good donor car. I went through an exercise with my car when I was chasing a whining noise. See this thread. Emphasis on marking the two drive shaft sections to keep factory balance.

Dave is the trans guy so his advice about changing the trans at this point is good. The trans oil was black so the trans probably was never serviced anyway.

Good luck,

Bob

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thank you guys!

I do not have the transmission for the car yet, plan was to get it tomorrow. The interesting part is that both flex disks looks pretty good. Not torn or dislocated. When I was removing bolts on the front part of the driveshaft I got surprised when on the last bolt I could just slide the whole front part back. That's when I dropped the rear part of the exhaust system to find surprise under the heat cover.

I have paid 1k for the car and engine runs really nice. I do not think I need to replace the engine.

Yes, the exhaust is disconnected to gain access to the driveshaft.

When I talk to guys at the junk yard I will make sure that they do not disconnect front part of the driveshaft from the back.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I am little confused by the part numbers for the driveshaft:

Mine has a sticker - 2204102006
EPC suggests 2204108106 as a replacement.
I saw on ebay another driveshaft from 2004 S430 with a part # 2204108706

What part number I should be looking for? Are all S500 and S430 in the W220 body share same driveshaft?

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,916 Posts
No they are not all the same. Part number 2204102006 is the original part. Replaced by number 2204108106 as you have already found out, but the part number 2204108706 is for the 7 Speed transmission and may not work.

21 - 40 of 105 Posts