Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S430 - 190k, 2007 GL450 - 140k
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all.
Meet the new guy ;) With a freshly acquired 2001 S500 with issues.

For quite some time I have being reading through the topics of other owners asking for help and now I am joining the choir. I have read some of the articles in the Encyclopedia, but possibly I have missed a lot of valuable information there.

Yesterday I got myself a 2001 S500 with 170k miles and bad transmission. There is a loud grind sound coming when you try to put the car into R or D. Car does not move on it's own power. I will raise her on jacks tomorrow and start checking.

I have SOS failure/visit workshop on the dash. I know that this car heavily relays on electronics. My old ODB2 scanner can not connect to car and show me any codes. What is the least expensive code reader with sufficient functions should I buy in my pursuit of nice working car?

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,736 Posts
With that mileage and a grinding noise , you don't need a code reader you need another transmission . They are easy to find on Craigslist or eBay often under $300

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,558 Posts
With that mileage and a grinding noise , you don't need a code reader you need another transmission . They are easy to find on Craigslist or eBay often under $300
True, but don't you then also have to reprogram the TCU with STAR specifically for that car? What's involved in that?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,928 Posts
Also, the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia (in the blue backgrounded area at the top of the first page of the W220 forum) will help with the SOS failure; keep reading! Also, the forum search tool is your friend, both for SOS and also the many recommendations regarding STAR or DAS equipment. There have been many comments over the past two years.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,736 Posts
True, but don't you then also have to reprogram the TCU with STAR specifically for that car? What's involved in that?
No reprogramming needed in a 2001 with the 722.6 5 speed transmission
You can swap another transmission and it will work fine

On the 722.9 7 speed transmission yes reprogrammed is required

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did find the SOS reset procedure with key in position 1 and 2 minute headlights on. I have tried it and the light is still there.

I appreciate all the answers. Thank you guys.

Will keep digging.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,928 Posts
The red SOS button in your overhead console is connected to your Tele-Aid system; unless your car has been upgraded to digital Tele-Aid (which was a $600 retrofit option, and required an additional cost subscription to the service), you still have an analog system.

Tele-Aid is a dedicated cellular equipment; it cannot be used for general cell phine calls,; it only calls specific numbers for the service, and it also had an automatic crash reporting feature that would give your GPS location if an airbag deployed.

The analog cellular network was taken down in 2008 in the US and Canada, with the frequencies reassigned to Wi-Fi (mostly). Occasionally your Tele-Aid equipment may seek a signal when one is not present to respond. It may treat the absence of the frequency as a malfunction; the constant-on SOS light tells you there is a system malfunction (which would have been accurate some years ago).

You can try simply hanging up, using the cell phone hangup button on your steering wheel (you might even try pressing the emergency and the info buttons in your center console, then hang up - it is entirely possible that something accidentally triggered one of those buttons, causing the Tele-Aid to seek a signal, and triggered the SOS warning).

Other than that, a dealership can program the Tele Aid out of your system using DAS.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
No reprogramming needed in a 2001 with the 722.6 5 speed transmission
You can swap another transmission and it will work fine

On the 722.9 7 speed transmission yes reprogrammed is required
Oh, serious? That's all the more reason to stay with 722.6-equipped vehicles, then. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well - looks like I was trying to put the wagon before the horse. Need to concentrate on transmission swap first.

A friend of mine is giving me some lumber 11x6 and 8x6. Will make some posts to put car wheels on top of them to raise car. Kind of scary to have that heavy car right above your head :)

Another idea is to run to local junk yard and get some steel wheels and lift the car onto them. What you guys think?

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,736 Posts
I think you might kill yourself lifting your car in an unsafe fashion. You're going to need a special transmission jack too .

I recommend you find a shop to swap it. My guy charged only $300 labor .

If you don't have funds to have a shop swap the tranny , hire a mobile mechanic with the proper tools to do it right

Saving a few bucks is not worth an injury

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The cheapest quote that I got so far is $650 to swap the tranny. For $300 I would take it any day :)

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
$650 for labour is still not bad compared to your life if you don't have the proper gear. It looks like for just under $1,000, you can have a replacement tranny in there and be on your way. Shop around, of course, but keep that perspective. $1,000 gets you rolling, in a luxury sedan that you like and want to drive.

·
W220 Moderator
6,160 Posts
Hi,

I agree with all the above posters.

If you do not have the equipment it is a heavy car and a heavy unit.
Floor style Transmission Jack and Chassis Stands are essential, Lift and a suitable Transmission Jack preferable :wink

Also there is a lot of pitfalls, and it's not as easy as you would think.........

No one has even mentioned flushing out the Oil Cooler and Lines yet, or making sure that the Torque Converter is correctly located in the Transmission, (will wreck the Pump if it has slipped forward). A pulsating "Cooler Flusher" is the right piece of kit, but an electric fuel pump, suitable fittings and clean solvent will usually do a fair job.

Oil Cooler flush is essential after a transmission failure, or the debris from the old transmission will reek havoc and destroy the new one in short time :wink

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Good point, Dave, and I would consider a fluid flush a part of the process. Get that old fluid and any gunk in there outta there! "Oh, the filter will catch it!", some people might suggest. That's like saying, "oh, the safety's on!" or "oh, it's unloaded!" as an excuse to ignore the rules of firearms safety.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Appreciate all of the input I am getting.

This morning for some reason I decided to run my VIN and - SURPRISE!!!! - I have S430 and not the S500. Car does not have a badge on the back, so I thought I am buying broken s500, but apparently I did not.

It seems that I do not have oil cooler in this car (if we are talking about one that is supposed to be next to oil the filter).

I have done engine swaps before, so this project seems quite interesting. I am going to get AllData or WIS printout for transmission replacement procedure and assess if I can pull it off.

·
W220 Moderator
6,160 Posts
Hi,

All Auto transmissions have an Oil Cooler.........

NOT ENGINE OIL COOLER, it is the Auto box Cooler I am referring to :wink

Engine swaps are very well documented, Auto Transmissions, by their very nature are not such an easy accomplishment to do properly, but don't let that put you off :smile

Go for the MB WIS / EPC / ASRA .

Good luck, please let us know how you get on.

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have got all WIS instructions printed out. The job seems pretty doable for me.

Last night with some help from a friend whole car was lifted and sits on 6" high wood blocks under the tires. The plan is to raise the front of the car for another 6" and that should give me enough clearance. Hopefully I will get some time to work on raising it up and securing the blocks to wheels. Some pictures to follow :)

Made appointment for Saturday morning to pick up used transmission with 139k miles. Will drain all old atf from it and inspect fluid and magnet in the pan for contaminants. If all is good will install new atf filter, new Febi fluid, new connector and gasket. Should I aim for another fluid replacement in a short while?

I also plan to flush transmission oil cooler lines and cooler with Lubegard 19001 Dr. Tranny Kooler Kleen Trasmission Line Flush before I fill in replacement transmission with fresh ATF.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are some pictures from the tranny that I am supposed to get

What should I do with the rust on the torque converter?

1 - 20 of 105 Posts