Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 G63, 07 S550
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow. Been driving G Wagons for the last six years and just bought an 07 S550...whoa; my first sedan in years. What a pleasure! Can anyone tell me if there are typical "gremlins" associated with this car that I should be aware of? My G Wagons have had numerous electrical gremlins. No matter what, I intend to extend the warranty, just wondering what I can expect.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
First of all welcome to Benzworld. The W221 is indeed a nice car but as to gremlins there are two main problems. Engine balance shaft and transmission valve body/control unit. What mileage is your car? There are several threads which discuss these two main problems. Read the threads but do not let this put you off the car, simply make sure you have warranty.

·
Registered
S600
54 Posts
I ve had my 600 for a month -1 day :) and i love it so far no issues toticed (knockin on the wood) i adore it i had an m-class b 4 wasn't much pleasure,, with s class i wake up every morning earlier to drive it for an xtra half an hour b 4 classes ...u ll love it

Wow. Been driving G Wagons for the last six years and just bought an 07 S550...whoa; my first sedan in years. What a pleasure! Can anyone tell me if there are typical "gremlins" associated with this car that I should be aware of? My G Wagons have had numerous electrical gremlins. No matter what, I intend to extend the warranty, just wondering what I can expect.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

·
Registered
2013 G63, 07 S550
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all welcome to Benzworld. The W221 is indeed a nice car but as to gremlins there are two main problems. Engine balance shaft and transmission valve body/control unit. What mileage is your car? There are several threads which discuss these two main problems. Read the threads but do not let this put you off the car, simply make sure you have warranty.
Thank you for the heads up. The car has 35k miles and is obsidian black on cashmere. Like the previous post, I have been waking up early to squeak in a few extra miles :) Amazed at the thrust on freeways. Love it.

Attachments

·
52,804 Posts
35k? OK then remember to have the transmission fluid changed at 39k.

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
Hi eric242340,

I was just wondering if most of these issues were resolved with models that were '08 and up? Besides buying a new S Class..are there years that were relatively issue free? Thanks. :)

·
52,804 Posts
Hi eric242340,

I was just wondering if most of these issues were resolved with models that were '08 and up? Besides buying a new S Class..are there years that were relatively issue free? Thanks. :)
Correct, 08 onwards were pretty much trouble free.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am considering a 2008 S Class - need advice.

I have two E class sedans and love them. Am considering an S class, but want some advice as to mileage and long-term expectations. The car has 50 k in just less than 2 years of driving. But it is certified, and fully reconditioned, new brakes and tires, and seems clean. It will have 1 year of the certified warranty, but 50 seems like a lot of mileage.

Should I sweat the high mileage? I know these cars are built to last, but have never owned an S and don't want a long term care issue by buying a car that has been driven hard.

Advice? Suggestions?

Thanks - The Jett

·
52,804 Posts
I have two E class sedans and love them. Am considering an S class, but want some advice as to mileage and long-term expectations. The car has 50 k in just less than 2 years of driving. But it is certified, and fully reconditioned, new brakes and tires, and seems clean. It will have 1 year of the certified warranty, but 50 seems like a lot of mileage.

Should I sweat the high mileage? I know these cars are built to last, but have never owned an S and don't want a long term care issue by buying a car that has been driven hard.

Advice? Suggestions?

Thanks - The Jett
Has the car had any major engine/transmission repairs?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts