Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all... I Just picked this car up used for my wife yesterday.. not from an MB dealer..

the car has 30K miles and the sales guy told me I still have factory warranty left..

Exactly what is that? 5 year/50K miles? What is included? Bumper to Bumper? I heard oil changes and stuff are part of the warranty on some cars.. does this inlude me? and as a 2nd owner?

Just noticed that oil changes are not typical like on the Tahoe I traded in or my Vette... I do all my own maint usually.. Will this be doable?

Lastly.. While the 6 cyl motor is peppy.. What can I do to it that will give me any noticeable performance increase? $1000 for 10hp in an ECU swap is NOT a good deal.. 10hp on 200 is not even noticable...:(

Lastly.. What is standard options? do I have HID lighting? Bluetooth for my cell phone? sorry for all the questions but I will need to "bond" with the car over the weekend to get to know everything she has to offer.. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey all... I Just picked this car up used for my wife yesterday.. not from an MB dealer..

the car has 30K miles and the sales guy told me I still have factory warranty left..

Exactly what is that? 5 year/50K miles? What is included? Bumper to Bumper? I heard oil changes and stuff are part of the warranty on some cars.. does this inlude me? and as a 2nd owner?

Just noticed that oil changes are not typical like on the Tahoe I traded in or my Vette... I do all my own maint usually.. Will this be doable?

Lastly.. While the 6 cyl motor is peppy.. What can I do to it that will give me any noticeable performance increase? $1000 for 10hp in an ECU swap is NOT a good deal.. 10hp on 200 is not even noticable...:(

Lastly.. What is standard options? do I have HID lighting? Bluetooth for my cell phone? sorry for all the questions but I will need to "bond" with the car over the weekend to get to know everything she has to offer.. :D
warranty=48month/50k miles as i remember

"oil change and stuff" not covered by mercedes, but some dealers do offer life-time free when u buy ur car there, does not apply to every dealer

DIY oil change and increase performance-wise I have never done it.

if everything u got was base, no HID, no bluetooth, easier if u just ask whoever sold it to you what were the packages he or she bought...

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
When I purchased my car the sticker from it was included in the documentation. Look this over to check out the options.

·
Registered
75 Posts
BlackVette,

I have a 2006 C230...same car. MB have two types of maintenance called a "Service A" and a "Service B". Service A is done every 13, 39, 65, 91 ... Service B is done every 26, 52, 78, 104 ... Both A & B services include an oil change.... but A cost about $300 and B costs about $400. Look at this posting for a list of what is done: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w203-c-class/1361454-mercedes-benz-b-service-checklists.html

Attached below is a DIY oil change (in PDF format) for a CLK 430....it is the same for your 2007 MB C230, just the oil filter spindle assembly is not as long. It's hard to believe, but that small V6 requires 8.5 Qts of Mobile One oil! I guess that is why you can go 13k miles between oil changes. I typically add a 1/2 Qt ever 4k miles

As for performance upgrade....they are not cheap....after all it is a Benz. I reccomend replacing the stock air filters (2) with K&N which cost about $38, but the MB air filters cost $27 and only last 26k miles. At leasts the K&N last for a million miles!

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
When I do my maintenance I order my supplies from here:

OEM Parts Direct :: Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, and Volvo

>> which is MB dealer in Roanoke,VA that sells parts at a discount. Most local MB dealers are a rip off.

2 new wiper blades (part# 203-820-15-45) Retail $22.00 each and your cost is $18.04 each
1 Oil Filter (part #000-180-26-09) Retail $20.50 and your cost is $16.81
1 AC Cabin Filter (Part # A203 830 01 18) filter lists for $15.63 and your cost is $10.27

Pep Boys has the K&N air filters for $38

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
BlackVette,

I have a 2006 C230...same car. MB have two types of maintenance called a "Service A" and a "Service B". Service A is done every 13, 39, 65, 91 ... Service B is done every 26, 52, 78, 104 ... Both A & B services include an oil change.... but A cost about $300 and B costs about $400. Look at this posting for a list of what is done: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w203-c-class/1361454-mercedes-benz-b-service-checklists.html

Attached below is a DIY oil change (in PDF format) for a CLK 430....it is the same for your 2007 MB C230, just the oil filter spindle assembly is not as long. It's hard to believe, but that small V6 requires 8.5 Qts of Mobile One oil! I guess that is why you can go 13k miles between oil changes. I typically add a 1/2 Qt ever 4k miles

As for performance upgrade....they are not cheap....after all it is a Benz. I reccomend replacing the stock air filters (2) with K&N which cost about $38, but the MB air filters cost $27 and only last 26k miles. At leasts the K&N last for a million miles!

8.5 Quarts?:eek: My Vette takes 7 and that is a 5.7L V8!! Will most likely do the K&N.. I have them on all my cars..

No Drain Plug on the Crankcase? I see that oil pump used a lot...

Just noticed you and another are fellow Floridians.. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a thread about K&N filters on our engine

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w203-c-class/1186386-k-n-air-filer.html?highlight=air+filer+sensor

May not be ideal but results seem to vary with some positive and some negative

Hmm, I am familiar with the oil messing up the MAF.. happens on vettes occasionally since the filter is inches from the MAF...

... I usually check the filter 1st and if its over oiled.. I press an old shop rag on it.. Like a napkin on a slice of oily pizza :p

A little Throttle body cleaner will fix up a contaminated MAF in a few squirts... Dealers love to rip people off that cannot do their own work...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I don't take it as I cannot do my own work, because I can do anything I put my mind to... I choose not to do my own work... and I don't usually take it to the dealer... I take it to a highly respected MB Independent in my area.

Another thing to keep in mind is the roadside assistance is available for the life of the car, no matter who the owner is.

- Free jumps, lock out service, gas and flat replacement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmm, I am familiar with the oil messing up the MAF.. happens on vettes occasionally since the filter is inches from the MAF...

... I usually check the filter 1st and if its over oiled.. I press an old shop rag on it.. Like a napkin on a slice of oily pizza :p

A little Throttle body cleaner will fix up a contaminated MAF in a few squirts... Dealers love to rip people off that cannot do their own work...

I definitely agree with you on the dealer ripping you off...other than warranty work, I do everything on my car.

Now these aftermarket filters, I've had them on my old cars and they appeared to help rather little...but if you try it and get noticeable results in your 07, let me know.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Free Roadside Assistance? I did not know that. THANKS!! that is awesome... can I assume towing is part of it?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Yes towing to the nearest "Mercedes-Benz Center" code for Dealer... not an indy shop even if certified... I learned the hard way with my '91

1 - 12 of 12 Posts