Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what these parts are called in the rear wheel bearing kit, but in the first photos attached, you will see two nicks/gouges on the edge of one of the parts; the 2nd one of this part has the flat edge untrue (almost like if you traced a circle and the protractor didn't line up when you came back around). You may need to enlarge the photos. Are these reasons to send back? It's such a hassle and if they can be bought separately, I'd rather just do that. Or, can these be in good shape/reused from the original parts in the car (even high mileage) with little chance of damage? Safety glove Camera lens Finger Glove Wrist Hand tool Wood Bumper Tool Wood stain Camera accessory Rim Auto part Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Couch Furniture Comfort Luggage and bags Chair

I was fortunate enough to obtain some of the last rear wheel bearing sets in the country at the moment, even the dealership network is out of them for now but on backorder (so if these aren't real problems another reason to keep). Interestingly enough, the F*G brand had Timken French-made bearings for half, and the other half was F*G made in Spain.

The boxes' contents were arranged differently, with one being more neatly organized, and the other disheveled. I would have thought some cushioning would have been included within the actual parts box. It doesn't engender a lot of confidence, but maybe I'm overly concerned. Below: rear bearings on the left, front on the right. In the last photo, one of the bearing sets was precariously placed in one of the metal cups. It appeared to be ok, but nonetheless the inconsistent packaging and opened/tattered plastic just has me wondering about tampering.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Fixture Audio equipment Wood Light Automotive lighting Audio equipment Gas Electronic device Fluid Silver Auto part Circle Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
2,263 Posts
Personally I would send them back.

I haven't tackled the rear wheel bearings on my car only the front. I bought my wheel bearings from MB directly as so many trusted names like SKF, Timken, F/\G are now manufacturing their bearings in China & Mexico, I do wonder about their QA\QC and also their tolerances but really long term how they will last. The Genuine MB bearings are about twice the price and interestingly are actually made in Japan.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,656 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't entertain these parts for myself. Rear bearings are a real pain, can't imagine wanting to do that job twice.

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's another part--is this a race? You can see a little metal shaving sticking up, and the edge above it in the photo looks a little rough.
Tints and shades Electric blue Metal Personal protective equipment Nickel

The main parts, the bearings look good from what I can tell. But these two other parts have me concerned. I haven't read any problems about the French Timken and Hungarian/Spanish F*G bearings.

·
Registered
1977 W116 450SEL and 1988 W126 560SEC
604 Posts
I have bought the same kits for the front wheels of my W116, same F A G made in Spain/Hungary. No issues. The nicked race seems as if someone attempted to install it and gave up, maybe you ended up with a returned kit.

·
Registered
1991 300sl, 1993 Porsche 928 GTS, 1996 SL500, 1991 560sec, 1997 AMG C36
190 Posts
Just to add another data point. Purchased front seals recently, Timkens. Good brand, right? First time ever I pushed seals in fully with my fingers. Return or not? Current dilemma with old cars. Local suppliers all seem to carry equivalent white box/off shore parts. In Canada, getting quality parts from the big parts suppliers in the States takes time or money. Dealer is double or more the reasonable price. Hope my seals don't ooze.

Cheers, phendriks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts