Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got Krautsie back from the beauty parlor (McCoy's Upholstery, Queens, NY). They did a nice job with the top but warned me that it's drum-tight. They also fixed the driver's side map pocket; replaced the old worn-out hood pad; and put new door sills on.

Here are some photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And here are some more photos, of the interior work on the top and those door sills.

Question: McCoy's said they'd put on "rubber door sills," like the ones I've seen advertised (which are ridiculously expensive, but hey). BUT it looks to me like they just used a couple of pieces of vinyl they had in the shop and trimmed them to fit instead. Also, there's a bit of an air bubble under the one on the driver's side.

I'm going to call them about it tomorrow and give them a chance to explain/make good on this. This kind of thing really bugs me.

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the top from German Auto Top, a small shop out in Kollyfornia. They do Porsches and Beemers, too. They put piping around the windows, a nice touch.

One other thing: Anyone have an easy fix for the mirror lid flopping loose on the driver's side visor? (see photo). I had to put it down in westward traffic this afternoon back into the city, and it really bugged me.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Depends on how much they charged for those door sill covers. Looks like you floor carpet is buckled; probably happened when exiting the car. Those mirror covers are brittle plastic due to old age. trying to make them stick could cause more damage than good.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Depends on how much they charged for those door sill covers. Looks like you floor carpet is buckled; probably happened when exiting the car. Those mirror covers are brittle plastic due to old age. trying to make them stick could cause more damage than good.
$250!!!

I could have done this myself for $10- $20!

Re carpet, that's a MB carpet cover but it always gets out of place like that. Thinking of carpet tacks.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,109 Posts
Top is tight?

Good!

But if it is TOO tight for you to use....you might either try putting it up using a different procedure or get it wet with water and put it in the sun....try that a few times. It might help.

·
Registered
740 Posts
When I did mine it was tight as a drum indeed. So tight I couldn't put it up alone. Left it up a few weeks and it shaped itself into position nicely. Now I can operate it easy, watertight and just the tight it doesn't flop/noise. I'd say you're perfectly ok and nothing to worry. Git it time.

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
Tight soft top

Top is tight?

Good!

But if it is TOO tight for you to use....you might either try putting it up using a different procedure or get it wet with water and put it in the sun....try that a few times. It might help.
Yep, good advice . I sprayed my new top with water and kept doing it when I had trouble putting it up. I didn't bother putting in the sun but it worked. Mine was also a GAT top and I made sure it was drum tight when I installed it.

EDIT - I used a water spray bottle not a hose. Just make sure it gets wet and it will stretch and then dry in place.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
$250!!!

I could have done this myself for $10- $20!

Re carpet, that's a MB carpet cover but it always gets out of place like that. Thinking of carpet tacks.
Mehitabel,if you want the real thing they're £75 +£15 postage from England. I reckon you could source them in the States, if not the eBay item number is 322803469962. No offense but what they fitted to your door sills look pretty horrible and I guess cost them about $10 and maybe 15 to 20 minutes to fit. $250 for that abomination is an insult to your intelligence and not acceptable in today's PC environment.

John :angel

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
And here are some more photos, of the interior work on the top and those door sills.

Question: McCoy's said they'd put on "rubber door sills," like the ones I've seen advertised (which are ridiculously expensive, but hey). BUT it looks to me like they just used a couple of pieces of vinyl they had in the shop and trimmed them to fit instead. Also, there's a bit of an air bubble under the one on the driver's side.

I'm going to call them about it tomorrow and give them a chance to explain/make good on this. This kind of thing really bugs me.
Looks like they did a great job installing the top which makes the door sills situation even more unfortunate. Hopefully you’ll get it resolved.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
I think they did a very nice job on your top.
When I replaced mine it was drum tight too - it will loosen up in a couple weeks.

Your bigger issue just might be when you start to fold your top down. The Canvas I used was thicker than OEM and it tended to pull on the Soft Top Cover rubber seal. Don't put your top down now to check, it needs to stay up a while. In the meantime source some scrap slick stiff plastic sheets - many of us now use them to protect that rubber seal. Then just store those sheets of plastic in the Trunk for use when you want to put down your soft top. Also consider using some soft cloths to protect the windows from scratching when stored away. Here are photos showing how I do it:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
BTW, if I may ask how much to they charge for replacing a soft top in NYC? Around here in Winston-Salem, NC I was quoted $1400 - $2000 and that was 5 years ago.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Years ago, I bought a set of vinyl/rubber door sill covers for my 350SL from a dealer. I don't recall them costing very much. Just had to glue them in place with contact cement.

Looked up number for 560SL on EPC. It is 1076860180. Looked up on OE Parts (On-line dealer) and they have them for $49.50 - I think that is each. There are various colours, so that may affect price.
https://www.oediscountparts.com/parts/index.cfm?searchText=1076860180&make=Mercedes-Benz&action=oePartSearch&siteid=215242

On German SLS site they list them for 82.11 Euros for a set of 2.

https://www.sls-hh-shop.de/main/de/mercedes-280-560sl-w107/68-69-daemmung-ausschlag-verkleidungen/68-c-69-verkleidungen-einstieg/gummimatte-einstieg-anthrazit-satz-links-rechts-p-16718

Various colors available on that German site:

Part A1076860180
768835 - rubber mat entry, gray, left + right
768830 - rubber mat entry, anthracite, left + right
768831 - rubber mat entry, cream, left + right
768730 - rubber mat entry, anthracite, set (left + right)
768735 - rubber mat entry, gray set (Left + Right)
768130 - rubber mat entry, anthracite, left + right

Tight top is not uncommon. Leaving up for several weeks and in sun should help. It will still be tight. Mine is tight after I don't know how many years, but looks good when up!

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
I just ordered a pair of sill covers for mine, since the ones on the car are cracking and stretching and coming loose.

My top is quite tight, to the point I need to lean significant pressure on the rear bow to get it to latch before I can pull the handle to secure it fully. I consider this a Good Thing.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
BTW, if I may ask how much to they charge for replacing a soft top in NYC? Around here in Winston-Salem, NC I was quoted $1400 - $2000 and that was 5 years ago.
The folks who he bought it from here in Los Angeles (German Auto Tops) will install a soft top for $400. Another $450 for the materials for a grand total of $850. Not sure if this includes tax.

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Well, so much for ordering the sill covers from that link. NLA. That site seems to list a lot more than they can get.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,849 Posts
Bare metal looks better than what they did to those door sills. I do hope that the $250 was more of a charge for soft top installation than whatever you’d call that. Like: $1250 for soft top, $250 for door sills. That’s more like $1495 for soft top and $5 for this door sills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
Soft top installation

The folks who he bought it from here in Los Angeles (German Auto Tops) will install a soft top for $400. Another $450 for the materials for a grand total of $850. Not sure if this includes tax.
$850 is a good price plus tax or not. I doubt it includes cleaning the old glue off the frame though. I took me ages. A good installer here quoted me that much just to install it with me supplying the soft top.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts