Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to older Mercedes and am looking at a 2002 CLK 320 with 37k miles. It is a 1 owner car and I am wondering if anyone has advice on what I should look for (if anything) before I purchase it. Any and all feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
1999 W208 CLK320
397 Posts
Looks like a fantastic find, 37K is super low mileage!

Normally the biggest problem is rust, but if it's a Florida car it should be OK. Make sure all equipment works, especially A/C, you want two keys with the car and both keys working, they're very expensive to replace (used ones can not be reprogrammed).

Service history would be nice and when it's running take a good look at the main crank pulley, there was a factory recall I think, occasionally they failed, but I think 2002 cars were already modified.

With such low miles, it's probably spent a lot of time sitting. So it would be an good idea to change all the fluids and check the age of the battery. With any Merc, prevention is better than cure, so it pays to keep on top of servicing and these cars are an easy DIY for most things.

I don't know what price they go for over there, but seems like a good car to me. If the price was right, I'd be tempted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a fantastic find, 37K is super low mileage!

Normally the biggest problem is rust, but if it's a Florida car it should be OK. Make sure all equipment works, especially A/C, you want two keys with the car and both keys working, they're very expensive to replace (used ones can not be reprogrammed).

Service history would be nice and when it's running take a good look at the main crank pulley, there was a factory recall I think, occasionally they failed, but I think 2002 cars were already modified.

With such low miles, it's probably spent a lot of time sitting. So it would be an good idea to change all the fluids and check the age of the battery. With any Merc, prevention is better than cure, so it pays to keep on top of servicing and these cars are an easy DIY for most things.

I don't know what price they go for over there, but seems like a good car to me. If the price was right, I'd be tempted.
Thank you for the reply, I guess I am just nervous to pull the trigger since it is nearly 20 years old! But I’ve always wanted one.

·
Registered
1999 W208 CLK320
397 Posts
My car is a '99, so 21.

It was at 65K when I bought it 2 years ago and hasn't skipped a beat. It had been well maintained and I have kept that up.It's my daily driver, so it has to be a reliable work horse for me.It's had no problems other than the A/C compressor needed to be replaced. I think I was just unlucky there, my previous CLK had 120K and the original compressor was still going strong.

The problem with these old Mercs is they fall into the hands of those that don't keep up with maintenance. The car you're considering is barely run-in, so previous neglect shouldn't be a problem. The only thing I would say really needs to be done is the transmission fluid and filter every 40,000 miles. I get my Mercedes Indy to do that for me costs about £250 (maybe $300), but much cheaper than a new tranny!

They're easy enough to work on and routine maintenance is a simple DIY, so you can keep costs down that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts